Author Topic: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal  (Read 20355 times)

Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Indiana Pacers and Toronto Raptors have held discussions about a possible trade involving Jermaine O'Neal and T.J. Ford, according to reports in the Indianapolis Star and the Toronto Star.

The Raptors -- eager to move an unhappy Ford and make Jose Calderon their starting point guard -- also would include center Rasho Nesterovic and possibly their first-round pick in Thursday's draft, both newspapers reported.

One sticking point might be O'Neal's health. He played in 42 games last season because of a left knee injury, though Pacers officials said recently that O'Neal is healthy, according to the Indianapolis Star.

A second issue might be the financial burden O'Neal poses. He is set to make $21 million this season and $23 million in 2009-10.

Multiple reports surfaced this past weekend about a possible trade that would have the Raptors sending Ford and their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) to the Phoenix Suns for forward Boris Diaw.

Link.

Interesting deal.  It gets Indiana some salary relief after next season, although they'd then have two high-priced point guards on the roster in Ford and Tinsley.  I don't really see this one going through.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Report: T.J. Ford for J. O'Neal being discussed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Would be interesting to see Ford/Barbosa backcourt.

Or would Ford's arrival mean Barbosa's departure?

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Could happen. I think because of what Danny Ainge did with the Celtics last season you are going to see a lot of NBA trades this off-season. Should be fun.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Ford and pick for Diaw trade seems to make a lot more sense for both sides.  Phoenix gets a backup PG to spell Nash and a decent draft pick, and Toronto gets Diaw, who fits into their offense very well since they're basically running PHX's offense from 3 years ago.  I'd actually like to see that one go through.

I agree though, the O'Neal trade seems like a bit of a headscratcher for both sides, though it would help Toronto a bit more if he's healthy.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
makes no sense for toronto, trade tj ford for an expiring contract and draft a center.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
if the Tor/Ind deal went through it would basically say the Pacers have given up on being competitive for a few years... I like Ford, but his health is always a question mark.  I Do think JO needs a change of scenery, Toronto would be interesting, could he and Bosh coexist?  Compliment each other?  I have a feeling once Jermaine is in a competitive place his injuries will miraculously go away - the ideal fit for him imho is Detroit, but there's no way Indy moves him to a conference rival I don't think
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If they can arrange Ford's and Tinsley's injuries, they might finally be able to go the whole season with an actual starting PG. 

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I actually like it for both sides. Indy saves some money and clears some space. They really needs to light a match when it comes to that roster. Just letting the contracts run out and tanking for a few years would be my approach.

Toronto gets some much needed muscle inside. Though, those muscles seem to tear some easy these days.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

You mean Calderon??  ???
God bless and good night!

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

You mean Calderon??  ???

He was presumably referring to the line in the link that stated "Multiple reports surfaced this past weekend about a possible trade that would have the Raptors sending Ford and their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) to the Phoenix Suns for forward Boris Diaw."

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

You mean Calderon??  ???

He was presumably referring to the line in the link that stated "Multiple reports surfaced this past weekend about a possible trade that would have the Raptors sending Ford and their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) to the Phoenix Suns for forward Boris Diaw."

Presumably - confusing in a thread that has to do with Ford for Jermaine O'Neal, though...
God bless and good night!

Suppose the O'Neal to Raptors trade happens...
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Where does that put the Raptors in the Eastern Conference?  Obviously there is still a lot that can happen before the season, but it would potentially give them two star big guys to go along with their abundance of 3 pt. shooting.

Not exactly sure who they would start, but I put their core of Bosh, Bargnani, O'Neal, Calderon, Kapono, Moon, Parker 4th in the east behind the Celtics, Pistons, and Magic. Thoughts?

Re: Suppose the O'Neal to Raptors trade happens...
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I can't believe this is even being discussed between these two teams. What are they looking to put Bosh at the 5? I say this deal doesn't happen. It makes no sense.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:24:09 PM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
4th in the East and loses to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 1st round. O'neal doesn't change much if he does gets traded to the Raptors. I think he's done.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't believe this rumor. I believe that whichever team takes JO will also be required to take Tinsley and his contract.

Let me add that I think JO and Tinsley are headed to the Lakers for Gasol, Farmar and filler.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:17:53 PM by Brickowski »