Author Topic: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...  (Read 28837 times)

Re: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm guessing none of you have children who look up to athletes. How sad it is going to be when I have to explain to my son, who watched him in the Olympics, that this guy who is supposed to be a role model does drugs?! How do they sell in school and their anti-drug programs that drugs harm the body when one of the greatest athletes of all time is doing this? I don't understand how people can dismiss this affect it has on our youth. How many kids who wouldn't have tried the drug will say "It didn't hurt Michael Phelps" now. Very sad.

Seriously, think of how many more kids will die from smoking marijuana after seeing Michael Phelps do it.  There's blood on your hands, Phelps!

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Its weed...get over it
He should've done a better job not getting caught obviously, other than that I bet half of our beloved celtics induldge, as well as plenty of professional athletes...theres much worse things then weed
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Its weed...get over it
He should've done a better job not getting caught obviously, other than that I bet half of our beloved celtics induldge, as well as plenty of professional athletes...theres much worse things then weed

He should go so some LSD, or Shrooms, or E...and that wont matter because there is worse....I mean, he could be doing Meth.

It doesnt matter if there is worse.  He is doing something illegal and got caught. 

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 02:56:06 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Its weed...get over it

He should go so some LSD, or Shrooms, or E...and that wont matter because there is worse....I mean, he could be doing Meth.

It doesnt matter if there is worse.  He is doing something illegal and got caught. 

Getting caught is the only thing wrong about smoking weed.sorry if that offends anybody. hes not doing it in the olympics and im sure hes not doing it while hes training...sorry if youre worried about what your kids are going to think, but hes human

If you dont acknowldege the difference between weed, acid, shrooms and e...I cant help you
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Its weed...get over it

Getting caught is the only thing wrong about smoking weed.sorry if that offends anybody. hes not doing it in the olympics and im sure hes not doing it while hes training...sorry if youre worried about what your kids are going to think, but hes human

not to turn this into a debate about whether smoking should be or shouldnt be a criminal offense, but the fact is that it is illegal right now.  so no, getting caught wasnt the only thing wrong.  we live in a society where you get to decide which laws you are going to follow and which you arent, but you then deal with the consequences when you break the laws. 

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
from the famous words of Sir Charles Barkley,"Im Not A Role Model",its words to live by.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
from the famous words of Sir Charles Barkley,"Im Not A Role Model",its words to live by.

yup
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Great moral example to set for kids. It is fine as long as you don't get caught. If that is your opinion then I sure hope you never have kids. What an immature ignorant and selfish thing to say... I'm guessing those kind of things slip out of people's mouths after smoking weed... Loser attitude.

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Light that ish, smoke that ish, PASS THAT ISH!!!!!!!!!!

in all seriousness, I dont think its that bad. He's human, he's also a 23 y/o guy who is one of the most recognized people on the planet right now. He's enjoying himself. I do agree that he was stupid to allow someone to photograph him though. If your an athlete going to a party and plan on smokin, do it before you get there, or go into a small room with a select few and do your business in private.

What I did take out of this article is that my mary jane beliefs are true. I have smoked since I was 14 and am now 23. I have taken so many physicals and had chest xrays done and doctors still tell me my lungs are perfect. Dont get it twisted though, I ONLY smoke weed, no cigarettes, black n milds, nothing else. I know its not right, but I'm responsible with it.

P.S. Dont forget as Celtics fans some of the best C's of all time blazed that ISH! Kevin McHale, and Robert "CHIEF(aka smoke)" Parish. lol. Just saying...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:39:55 PM by EatSleepBreatheGreen »

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
The moral outrage in this thread is ridiculous.  The guy trained every day for four years, became the greatest Olympian of All-Time, and now he wants to enjoy himself.  Big freaking deal.  There isn't a single person on this board who knows the discipline and sacrifice it takes to get to Phelps' level and then to turn around and judge a guy for enjoying a harmless drug and few shots is ludicrous.

And don't give me the tired refrain about what it says to kids.  If you're a good parent, what Phelps does or doesn't do will have NO effect on your kids.  And if you're a bad parent, I don't have any sympathy for you anyway.  So get over it already.

BTW, the title of this thread is incorrect.  Phelps was caught on camera smoking from a bong, not caught with drugs.  Big difference.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
BTW, the title of this thread is incorrect.  Phelps was caught on camera smoking from a bong, not caught with drugs.  Big difference.

Since he admitted he was doing drugs out of that bong, no, the thread title is perfectly fine.  :P

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm guessing none of you have children who look up to athletes. How sad it is going to be when I have to explain to my son, who watched him in the Olympics, that this guy who is supposed to be a role model does drugs?! How do they sell in school and their anti-drug programs that drugs harm the body when one of the greatest athletes of all time is doing this? I don't understand how people can dismiss this affect it has on our youth. How many kids who wouldn't have tried the drug will say "It didn't hurt Michael Phelps" now. Very sad.

To be honest I'd still use Phelps as a role model. The guy won 8 gold medals through working his ass off and dedicating himself to something he really enjoys, not to mention being incredibly humble of his achievements and a great sportsman.

I think the sad thing now is that the media will run with this and really shadow his achievments in beijing; without a doubt the greatest swimming performance and perhaps the greatest olympic performance of all time.

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Big deal about nothing as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 03:56:07 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I have no problem with people smoking.

I can say one thing. I hope that high was worth the millions of dollars that it will end up costing him.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

Since he admitted he was doing drugs out of that bong, no, the thread title is perfectly fine.  :P

Two things: First, it depends on your definition of 'with,' which I take to mean, 'on his person.'  From the photo, he was caught doing drugs, not with drugs.  Second, he didn't admit 'doing drugs out of that bong,' whatever that means.  He specifically said:

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

Folly. Persist.