Author Topic: St. Pierre Dominates Penn; Best Pound for Pound Fighter Out There?  (Read 8171 times)

Re: St. Pierre Dominates Penn; Best Pound for Pound Fighter Out There?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Lyoto looked great last night, I think he'll take Evans. Machida - Rampage is what I want to see.

Well you got Evans-Rampage next. 

Machida is going to get the winner.

Rampage is still going to fight Jardine on the 7th..that was just a rumor that they we're going to change it to Rampage-Evans. If Rampage wins he'll get to face Evans next, if he loses Lyoto will get the first shot.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Lyoto looked great last night, I think he'll take Evans. Machida - Rampage is what I want to see.

Can't be too sure yet...That would be a lot of time off for Evans since that wouldn't happen for at least 4-5 months due to the Rampage/Jardine fight.  Evans/Machida could end up getting pushed up based on the results of the next month or so - UFC needs more title fights for headliners, and they won't be able to run any lightweight/welterweight title fights for a few months at least.

Dana White has already said the next fight for Rampage will be v. Evans as a title fight. He also mentioned that assuming machida wins his next fight, he will be the fighter against the winner.

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/news/95632/Dana-White-Confirms-Quinton-%5C%5CRampage%5C%5C-Jackson-Title-Shot.htm

He mentioned it again after the ppv last night...I need to find where I read it.

And Jardine sucks, so that shouldnt be a big deal

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Can't be too sure yet...That would be a lot of time off for Evans since that wouldn't happen for at least 4-5 months due to the Rampage/Jardine fight.  Evans/Machida could end up getting pushed up based on the results of the next month or so - UFC needs more title fights for headliners, and they won't be able to run any lightweight/welterweight title fights for a few months at least.

Dana White has already said the next fight for Rampage will be v. Evans as a title fight. He also mentioned that assuming machida wins his next fight, he will be the fighter against the winner.

I had read differently.  Do you have a link?
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I had read differently.  Do you have a link?

I have to find it...I saw it this morning at like 7 am (which seems like ages ago)

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
Machida is now 6-0 in the UFC and rarely has lost a round in the process. With an impressive résumé that includes wins over Tito Ortiz, Rich Franklin, Stephan Bonnar and B.J. Penn, Machida long has been in the mix for a potential shot at the light heavyweight title. But UFC president Dana White won’t pull the trigger just yet.

“He’ll get a title shot before the year’s out,” White said. “But I can’t say he has the next shot.”

White indicated he will wait until the result of the March 7 match between former champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Keith Jardine before deciding who gets the next shot against champion Rashad Evans. But White did say Machida is well on his way.

That's from Yahoo.  Not decisive either way, but leaning more towards Rampage as long as he wins and stays healthy while winning...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Anxeew_4KE1X2xlLuBQzBHY9Eo14?slug=dd-notes020109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Apparently, there's some evidence that GSP (or his corner) cheated:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Did-GSP-s-corner-cheat-to-give-him-an-edge-?urn=mma,138156

It apparently wasn't decisive in the fight, but cheating is cheating.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Did-GSP-s-corner-cheat-to-give-him-an-edge-?urn=mma,138156

Yea I doubt anything will come out of the investigation, and the impact was likely very small...but it certainly could have (although I dont believe it did) had a large impact on BJ's guard.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

GSP explained it after the fight.  The corner man who was putting vaseline on his face then rubbed his back without wiping his hands first.  According to their side, it was caught at ringside and wiped off immediately (officials confirm this), but it still could have had an impact.  Penn tried to pull rubber guard a few times in the 2nd and couldn't secure anything...was it because of the vaseline residue, or because of GSP's dominant ground game?

Personally, I don't think it made a difference, or was intentional.  Just a brain fart.  I doubt anything will come of it

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I saw a poll the other day about the best "pound for pound" fighter in the world (espn.com maybe?) and it had Fedor rounding in 3rd behind GSP and Spider, and by a considerable margin. :o

All I can say is wow! Who else can Fedor _destroy_ to prove he's the best? You don't build 30-0 by accident (forget the cut stoppage). GSP and Spider are at the top of their classes (Torres is nasty as well) and may be more skilled martial artists, but Fedor is like Jordan, you just cannot beat him. GSP still lost to Serra, and Cote showed that Silva is human IMO.

Fedor vs. Randy was what I really wanted to see when I first heard about this guy, but like the previous poster said the more I see of Fedor I hate to admit I don't think Randy would stand much of a chance. Randy pulled off a legendary victory against Tim Sylvia, dominating him for 5 rounds and proving he still had it at his age. Fedor hit Sylvia 2 or 3 times and cut him down like he was beating a 6 year old child. I think Fedor and Lesnar would be an awesome fight to see. :-\

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
FREAKS. every one of these guys. freaks in there tolerance for pain. even more though is the level of sportsmanship. guys getting there noses broken and then getting punched again in that nose. just suffering a ridiculous amount of punishment and 99 percent of the time these guys have nothing but compliments to eachother and to me it seems genuine. i have SOOOO much respect for these guys. they are incredibly brave and great examples of good sportsmanship.