Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 345142 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's difficult that the NBA draft is before the free agency market. We would really like to know what the numbers are for possibly re-signing Rozier, Wanamaker, Morris and Theis (or renegotiate with Horford).

And a sign-and-trade with Rozier is just not possible then as the Celtics would likely want to make a trade for Davis at draft night. This to make sure that New Orleans can choose their obtained draft picks themselves. For this reason the Celtics need a big 'filler' for salary matching purposes and things get complicated. It makes a lot more sense to trade Horford than for instance Smart to keep a balanced roster.

Huge trade proposal:

To Boston: Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday and E'twaun Moore

To New Orleans: Al Horford, Marcus Morris, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier, Robert Williams, Guerschon Yabusele, Jabari Bird, '19 Sacramento 1st, '19 Memphis 1st, '19 Clippers 1st and '21 Boston 1st.

After that resign Theis, new rotation looks like:

PG: Kyrie Irving, Marcus Smart
SG: Jrue Holiday, E'twaun Moore
SF: Jayson Tatum, Gordon Hayward
PF: Anthony Davis, Semi Ojeleye
C: Aron Baynes, Daniel Theis
Pending free agents (=Morris, Rozier) cannot be traded on draft night. Assuming we trade for AD on draft night, we have to match his salary based on our 2019-2020 payroll.

Cannot complete the trade prior to the trade deadline either because of the Rose rule.

Once Kyrie re-signs this summer, the Rose rule problem is gone , right?
Yes.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1066122676148813824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

You can, however, agree in principle to the trade on draft night and wait until you can re-sign them to actually make the deal
Once you sign a free agent you can't trade them until December 15th so not only would you have to convince them to sign so they can be traded mid season(you're not going to be able to do that. No free agent would agree to that) but you also have to draft and sign the three first round picks, keep them on the roster, put them through your Summer League, preseason and first third of year before trading them( and you won't get New Orleans to agree to that).

« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The more I look at the salary situation the more I am convinced there is very little chance an AD trade goes down before the draft. You have to match salary and there is no way New Orleans agrees to a trade without Tatum included. New Orleans most likely would want a center prospect to replace Davis, which means Williams goes too.

So Tatum has to go and really without a three team trade, it's going to be almost impossible to include a signed and traded Rozier due to Base Year Compensation. Rozier most likely needs to go to a team with cap space and that team would need to send a player to New Orleans that would be close to whatever Rozier is signed for. Good luck with that. That trade would look like:

NO gets Tatum, Williams and player from 3rd team and picks

Boston gets Davis

Third team gets Rozier

Now you could use Horford but he has an option to opt out next year so New Orleans could trade for Horford and then lose Horford if Horford doesn't want to be in New Orleans. The same holds true for Baynes.

So that leaves trading Hayward with Tatum and Williams and New Orleans having to add some and that probably is E'Twaun Moore. But does New Orleans want two years of Hayward contract just to get Tatum and Williams and the picks?

That is the most likely trade since the only other trade that works is Tatum, Williams, Brown, Smart and picks. That pretty much leaves you with

Kyrie
Horford
Hayward
Davis
Ojeleye
Yabusele
Baynes(if he opts in)
And no draft picks to replenish the roster and very little means to sign players to fill out the roster, which means signing Rozier to what he wants to fill out the starting lineup or have a sixth man while trying to sign a 3 and D wing to start for the taxpayer MLE.

Probably going to be very difficult to get an AD trade done at the draft.

« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It's difficult that the NBA draft is before the free agency market. We would really like to know what the numbers are for possibly re-signing Rozier, Wanamaker, Morris and Theis (or renegotiate with Horford).

And a sign-and-trade with Rozier is just not possible then as the Celtics would likely want to make a trade for Davis at draft night. This to make sure that New Orleans can choose their obtained draft picks themselves. For this reason the Celtics need a big 'filler' for salary matching purposes and things get complicated. It makes a lot more sense to trade Horford than for instance Smart to keep a balanced roster.

Huge trade proposal:

To Boston: Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday and E'twaun Moore

To New Orleans: Al Horford, Marcus Morris, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier, Robert Williams, Guerschon Yabusele, Jabari Bird, '19 Sacramento 1st, '19 Memphis 1st, '19 Clippers 1st and '21 Boston 1st.

After that resign Theis, new rotation looks like:

PG: Kyrie Irving, Marcus Smart
SG: Jrue Holiday, E'twaun Moore
SF: Jayson Tatum, Gordon Hayward
PF: Anthony Davis, Semi Ojeleye
C: Aron Baynes, Daniel Theis
Pending free agents (=Morris, Rozier) cannot be traded on draft night. Assuming we trade for AD on draft night, we have to match his salary based on our 2019-2020 payroll.

Cannot complete the trade prior to the trade deadline either because of the Rose rule.

I wasn't sure how this works at the end of the season. Thanks for correcting me, TP.

It does show that it is very complicated to make a trade for Davis, although such a trade would make a lot of sense if New Orleans doesn't make the playoffs.

Once Kyrie re-signs this summer, the Rose rule problem is gone , right?
Yes.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1066122676148813824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Well, we have gotten further than he ever has.  And so we have leverage.

...with a heavy heart, I would give Hofford, Rozzier, and first round pick.

I know everyone is down on Jaylen, but will need him around once Morris packs his bags.

« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
My life

« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
My life

I would also give up my life, but it's worthless.

So that doesn't help much  ;)

« Reply #306 on: December 13, 2018, 07:36:58 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Trading for Davis is going to be very difficult to pull off when taking into account matching salaries.  We could have 4 picks in this next draft.  I don't think there are any bigs that are sure things in the mid to late lottery.  I'm beginning to think we should use the Sac pick, assuming they fall back to Earth, on a guard to replace Rozier.  Then we may have 3 more picks that we could use to gamble on multiple bigs with potential.  Jontay Porter is a guy I like. There's a thread about Luka Samanic who we could stash in Europe.  I'd like to try to find someone who could potentially take over from Horford in a few years.

« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:09 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
As long as he doesn’t go to LAL, I don’t care.  We are legit with or without him.

Personally, I think Embid is better...but yes, it would be nice if we could get him without giving up our core.

« Reply #308 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would give up my wife and family. Just kidding - I wouldn't give up the wife  ;D

« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
QUESTION: If Rozier and the Pelicans agree to some deal in a S&T scenario and that's included in the trade, is his average salary included in the deal or half of that?

For example, say Rozier and NOP agrees to like 4/60M (15M/Year), so if Rozier is in the trade package, does it count as 15M in the trade or 7.5M? That's important when determining what to trade for AD since getting close to matching his 27M salary will also be key.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
QUESTION: If Rozier and the Pelicans agree to some deal in a S&T scenario and that's included in the trade, is his average salary included in the deal or half of that?

For example, say Rozier and NOP agrees to like 4/60M (15M/Year), so if Rozier is in the trade package, does it count as 15M in the trade or 7.5M? That's important when determining what to trade for AD since getting close to matching his 27M salary will also be key.
For New Orleans it would count as $15 million incoming but for Boston only $7.5 million outgoing so it makes it very difficult to match. So let's examine:

Boston trade Rozier Tatum and Brown..$15 million + $6.7 million + $5.1 million = $26.8 million
New Orleans trades AD...$25.4 million
Obviously both salaries are within 25% of each other...but

New Orleans outgoing $25.4 million
New Orleans incoming $26.8 million
The trade works for New Orleans incoming and outgoing salaries within 25%

Boston outgoing salary: $26.8 million - $7.5 million = $19.3 million because you only count $7.5 million instead of $15 million
Boston incoming salary for AD: $25.4 million

$19.3 × 1.25 = 24.125 which means Boston has to have incoming salary no higher than $24.225 million and obviously $26.8 million is higher than allowed so the trade doesn't work.

« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
I would give up my wife and family. Just kidding - I wouldn't give up the wife  ;D

Maybe there's a 4-way-trade?

Where Boston gets Davis, New Orleans gets Tatum + draft picks, I get your wife and then you can take my life  ;D

« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
So I think that another conclusion is that Horford (or Hayward) will need to be trade filler.

« Reply #313 on: December 13, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

For New Orleans it would count as $15 million incoming but for Boston only $7.5 million outgoing so it makes it very difficult to match. So let's examine:

Boston trade Rozier Tatum and Brown..$15 million + $6.7 million + $5.1 million = $26.8 million

Boston outgoing salary: $26.8 million - $7.5 million = $19.3 million because you only count $7.5 million instead of $15 million

$19.3 × 1.25 = 24.125 which means Boston has to have incoming salary no higher than $24.225 million and obviously $26.8 million is higher than allowed so the trade doesn't work.

This trade is looking to be almost impossible to do.  We don't know if NO would even want Rozier and as an UF, he has some leverage to dictate where he's traded to.  Horford can opt out so I doubt he's a part of a trade.  I don't think they're trading Hayward and NO probably wouldn't be interested anyway.  Meanwhile, the Sac pick is looking worse all the time.

« Reply #314 on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

This trade is looking to be almost impossible to do.  We don't know if NO would even want Rozier and as an UF, he has some leverage to dictate where he's traded to.  Horford can opt out so I doubt he's a part of a trade.  I don't think they're trading Hayward and NO probably wouldn't be interested anyway.  Meanwhile, the Sac pick is looking worse all the time.
Yeah, I detailed that in an earlier post.