Author Topic: EPL Season  (Read 28813 times)

Re: EPL Season
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Thanks for the input all... Unfortunately, everything posted in response was fairly accurate and I was speaking out of sheer frustration that my team had fully morphed into the EPL version of the Isaiah Knicks. Bad short term, bad long term, no real chance for salvation unless they blow everything up and start over. Probably won't happen until Mike Ashley leaves and they spend money wisely. I'm not quite at a place yet financially where I can spend on satellite, so hello internet coverage for the next year.

Pbak, TP for your electronic slap in the face to me. I needed that, but having watched the match surely you can understand my frustration. This team is in horrific shape short and long term, and hopefully all their players get so frustrated at the prospect of the championship that they leave. However, my team is my team, and if it didn't change for the Celtics during the Joe Forte, Kedrick Brown, Pervis Ellison, Olowokandi years or the Rick Pitino experience, then I carry on.

Casperian, TP for referencing the time-honored Geneva Soccer Conference of 1917, where the rules were very clearly stated alongside other gems like Article 137-A: "Any Mexican who immigrates to the United States for a better life still may root for the Mexican team, even though they didn't like their country enough to live there."

Who, TP anyway. Need to spread some goodwill.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I feel bad for you, Hoyo. Didn't expect Newcastle to go down, but if I were you I would take this as a blessing in disguise. Something had to change and sometimes it's better to hit rock bottom and build back up. Good luck.

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Me too. I hope Newcastle go straight
back up. They belong in the EPL.

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2009, 06:59:10 AM »

Offline cmbvale

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm not a Newcastle fan, but sounds really strange ear they went down.

But since Shearer retired they've been in downward spiral, from a team competing for euro competitions to a team always fighting to avoid relegation.

Some want to be like Mike, i wanted to be like Ryan.

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I think Liverpool can win it next year...especially if Tevez comes over to be reunited with Mascherano...WOW

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Liverpool can win it next year...especially if Tevez comes over to be reunited with Mascherano...WOW
Tevez would be a superb signing for Liverpool. I'd love to see that happen, he'd take that team to another level.

Gerrard and Torres just need a little bit more help to get it done. Just one or two guys who can provide a moment of magic and win a game.

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2009, 02:53:20 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don`t think high of Tevez. Considering his price there are better option. But on the other hand Bayern spent 30m for Gomez..

What do you think about Anceloti and Chelsea?

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2009, 03:39:09 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Has there ever been a season in which
a team that lost only two matches did
not win the title? It's just crazy.

I fully expect Man Utd to take their 4th
title in a row in '09-'10. Tevez or no Tevez.

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2009, 04:11:43 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
MU next season will have Hargreaves which is good
But possibly won`t have Ronaldo. What they`ll sign with Ronaldo`s money will determine next season. Ribery and Benzema will look good in red :D

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2009, 05:53:05 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What do you think about Anceloti and Chelsea?
Very unhappy ... a choke artist (Juve teams) who throws away the league in order to play more Euro games (Milan teams).

The league is everything to me. He hasn't been the man to win the league.

Ah well, it is done now, hopefully he'll be successful and prove my concerns invalid. It'll be very interesting to see what transfers are made, whether the club's holes are properly filled on the pitch or not.

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I would have liked to have seen David Moyes get the Chelsea job. He deserves an opportunity. I would have liked to have seen what he could have done given some time and money.

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
I would have liked to have seen David Moyes get the Chelsea job. He deserves an opportunity. I would have liked to have seen what he could have done given some time and money.

I agree. I think Moyes has the potential to be a brilliant manager. However, I wouldn't like to see him turn his back on Everton. I want to see him make them into a top team without having to be taken over (Man City, Chelsea and to a lesser degree Liverpool), similar to the way Ferguson first did with united and Wenger has done with Arsenal.

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Ancelotti's league record -- one title in 8 seasons at AC Milan, two seasons at Juventus.

• 2008/09 -- 3rd place -- 10 points back on the title
  • 2007/08 -- 5th place -- 21 points back on the title
  • 2006/07 -- 4th place -- 36 points back on the title
  • 2005/06 -- 3rd place -- 18 points back on the title
  • 2004/05 -- 2nd place -- 7 points back on the title
  • 2003/04 -- 1st place -- Won Title by 11 points
  • 2002/03 -- 3rd place -- 11 points back on the title
  • 2001/02 -- 4th place -- 16 points back on the title
That's his AC Milan tenure. Only one title in 8 years, only one other year where he was within single digits of the title, and he was miles off in several years. I think that's a terrible track record considering the talent he had at his disposal at AC Milan.

Ancelotti finished runner up twice with Juventus ... losing the title on the last day of the season both times. His team choked both times, and lost despite having the lead in the table. I forget the second one, the first was the Perugia game ... and I remember a Parma game where they choked too and left the race open when they had a chance to kill it off but I don't think that was the final game, not sure which year that one was.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:19:08 AM by Who »

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Story on the sports pages in England today warns that Hargreaves is back in America for more treatment and that he may not be ready for pre season training.

I really rate Hargreaves - far more effective than Fletcher.

As for Ancelotti, he has created a problem for himself already.

I think he tried to keep favour with the Milan fans in saying that he expected to be with Milan next season, but it now appears that he signed a pre contract agreement with Chelsea some months ago, so it will be difficult to believe him when he expresses undying love for Chelsea if results don't go his way.

Roman wants that Champions League and isn't reknown for his patience.

Still, apparantly my team Watford are losing their manager to Reading tomorrow.
Shame since he's only been in the post since November.

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Story on the sports pages in England today warns that Hargreaves is back in America for more treatment and that he may not be ready for pre season training.

I really rate Hargreaves - far more effective than Fletcher.

Awful news, Hargreaves is an outstanding player and exactly what we missed against Barcelona. If these stories are true, we need a replacement immediately.