Author Topic: Women's World Cup Thread  (Read 23365 times)

Re: Women's World Cup Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 02:54:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yeah and they were almost bounced today. Portugal hit the post in the last few minutes. That goes in and US doesn't even advance.  There is clearly talent, but they have no chemistry and cohesion. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2023, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not to be "that guy", but I'm rooting against the USWNT.  I don't like their political focus.  I'd like to see new leadership among the players that focuses on the sport, instead of protesting the country that they are representing and that pays their salaries.

On their own time, they can do what they want.  Even on private clubs, I won't like it, but I recognize that it's a private organization.  But when they're wearing the stars and stripes, the least they could do is respect our flag.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2023, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Not to be "that guy", but I'm rooting against the USWNT.  I don't like their political focus.  I'd like to see new leadership among the players that focuses on the sport, instead of protesting the country that they are representing and that pays their salaries.

On their own time, they can do what they want.  Even on private clubs, I won't like it, but I recognize that it's a private organization.  But when they're wearing the stars and stripes, the least they could do is respect our flag.

But you're going to be "that guy," right? This thread wasn't politically focused until you brought it up, so hopefully we can just continue talking about the tournament and your post doesn't derail it. Funny how the "don't bring politics here" crowd are the first to bring politics up. So I'll respond once and keep it pushing.

For the record, I love their political focus. I love that they speak their minds and don't just shut up and dribble. Their voices are so important to the unspoken for like myself as a black woman. And they respect the flag just fine, btw. Protest is part of the 1st amendment. There was more political controversy around the team in 2019 when they won so I don't believe their politics are a distraction at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 08:39:44 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yeah and they were almost bounced today. Portugal hit the post in the last few minutes. That goes in and US doesn't even advance.  There is clearly talent, but they have no chemistry and cohesion.

The lack of cohesion is really problematic and I'm not sure how it gets fixed moving forward. Vlatko made it a point to get Rodman and Sanchez to train together to build their chemistry and now he never plays them together? Throwing Ertz on the roster at the last minute after a few years away from the game isn't necessarily a bad choice, but playing her in the wrong position is.

Just some head-scratching tactical decisions.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2023, 10:59:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I think the salary stuff and some of the things they have said are a bit more complicated than they seem. But I agree we should keep this thread about the soccer and not that. I’m just hoping they come together the next game and play well. It happens knce every 4 years so I can’t really root against them at all, plus the games are just exciting. The time of kickoffs being all over the place I clueing like 4am last night sucks.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2023, 06:05:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
South Africa scores in the 90+2 minute to beat Italy 3-2 and advance to the knock out stage.  Amazing.  As expected, Sweden won the group and will face the US.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2023, 06:46:39 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

But you're going to be "that guy," right? This thread wasn't politically focused until you brought it up, so hopefully we can just continue talking about the tournament and your post doesn't derail it. Funny how the "don't bring politics here" crowd are the first to bring politics up. So I'll respond once and keep it pushing.

For the record, I love their political focus. I love that they speak their minds and don't just shut up and dribble. Their voices are so important to the unspoken for like myself as a black woman. And they respect the flag just fine, btw. Protest is part of the 1st amendment. There was more political controversy around the team in 2019 when they won so I don't believe their politics are a distraction at all.

I'll be that guy! This is one of the most unlikable American sponsored teams I can remember in my life which by my calculations is 3x longer than you've been alive. Why is it not ok to say these ladies are chronic complainers who have 0 respect for those paying their way. There was a time being a US athlete meant something now its just a pay check.
ok fine

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2023, 07:08:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Imagine thinking that being part of a country meant that you had to submit to the notion that the country was beyond reproach - except, not really, because a lot of people who complain about the complainers are themselves complaining about the state of the country, it's just that acceptable complaining appears to be uni-directional. That is to say, backwards.

Ah, but of course: It's all those nefarious wokes with their nefarious agenda of nefariously treating people with decency and respect isn't it? Such gall. Such absolute audacity. The country's going to the dogs. Athletes, like children, should be seen and not heard.

Back on topic:
The football team is unexceptional, which is annoying because the USWNT is usually better than this. Their politics appear to be largely the same as their predecessors. Having the matches on during the occasions I've been in the office has been nice, though as the token USWNT fan representative I've had to do a lot of shoulder shrugging.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2023, 07:10:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'll be that guy! This is one of the most unlikable American sponsored teams I can remember in my life which by my calculations is 3x longer than you've been alive. Why is it not ok to say these ladies are chronic complainers who have 0 respect for those paying their way. There was a time being a US athlete meant something now its just a pay check.
This was made self-evident by the rest of your shouting at clouds
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2023, 07:28:10 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
South Africa scores in the 90+2 minute to beat Italy 3-2 and advance to the knock out stage.  Amazing.  As expected, Sweden won the group and will face the US.

Sweden probably goes through based on how the team has played.  I may have left some of the older vets off this team and went youth, but I also know the team lost some key players late leading up.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2023, 07:57:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Imagine thinking that being part of a country meant that you had to submit to the notion that the country was beyond reproach - except, not really, because a lot of people who complain about the complainers are themselves complaining about the state of the country, it's just that acceptable complaining appears to be uni-directional. That is to say, backwards.

Ah, but of course: It's all those nefarious wokes with their nefarious agenda of nefariously treating people with decency and respect isn't it? Such gall. Such absolute audacity. The country's going to the dogs. Athletes, like children, should be seen and not heard.

Well, the "people who complain about the complainers" aren't literally representing the United States, being paid by the United States, etc.  That's the difference.  If Rapinoe, et. al., want to protest on their own time -- taking advantage of the platform they have -- fine.  But when they've got the United States uniform on, they should stand for the anthem while collecting large paychecks they didn't earn, subsidized by the men's team.

But regardless, to each their own.  The USWNT isn't a particularly large part of my life.  I'm just rooting against them, and I hope that some women who appreciate the country that allows them to become tremendously wealthy and famous take over the team leadership structure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Well, the "people who complain about the complainers" aren't literally representing the United States, being paid by the United States, etc.  That's the difference.  If Rapinoe, et. al., want to protest on their own time -- taking advantage of the platform they have -- fine.  But when they've got the United States uniform on, they should stand for the anthem while collecting large paychecks they didn't earn, subsidized by the men's team.

But regardless, to each their own.  The USWNT isn't a particularly large part of my life.  I'm just rooting against them, and I hope that some women who appreciate the country that allows them to become tremendously wealthy and famous take over the team leadership structure.

Why have you made this a political thread? This didn't need to happen. You don't seem to add much to the conversation. Any thoughts on the team or the three games? Other people are actually waking up to watch these games.

I think they will figure it out, but the team does seem disjointed. I'm looking forward to the rest of this Cup.

edit: Also, I root for the U.S. People are able to root for whatever country that they want.

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2023, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree with Roy 100% here.

He is not making this political the players have already done that.   They're a distraction when they do this kind of stuff.

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2023, 09:01:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why have you made this a political thread? This didn't need to happen. You don't seem to add much to the conversation. Any thoughts on the team or the three games? Other people are actually waking up to watch these games.

I think they will figure it out, but the team does seem disjointed. I'm looking forward to the rest of this Cup.

edit: Also, I root for the U.S. People are able to root for whatever country that they want.

It's a thread about the USWNT.  I explained why I'm rooting against them.  People are able to discuss why they're rooting for them, about their performance, or a whole host of things relevant to the team.  This isn't a "political thread".  If you're upset that politics are inextricably tied to the team, blame team leadership.

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

It's a fair point in some ways, but we have to draw the line somewhere - what if I'm working for a state government and complaining about them on the clock? And protesting where you're less likely to have influence and impact is kind of contrary to the point of the protests, no? Maintaining a protest in a designated 'protest zone' is just playing into the inevitable ineffectiveness of that protest.

I might also posit that it's possibly a mistake to equate standing for the anthem with an appreciation of one's country. For one thing, it's ableist. ;D

The good news is that rooting against the defending champions in any sport is usually more fun than rooting for them :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.