Author Topic: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015  (Read 67072 times)

Re: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
The fact that we are currently in the playoffs is a testament to how great a coach Brad Stevens is. It's unbelievable. This team really doesn't have a lot of talent. The starting 5 looks like a really good bench unit, not the starting 5 of a playoff team. And I know the East is absolutely terrible but Coach Brad Stevens is proving why he's one of the best young coaches in basketball.

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Clippers pick is also currently #23 with a very good chance of sliding to at least #22.  It' s highly unlikely the Clips' pick will fall further than #21 but that's still an amazing return for a coach who wanted to leave.

Mike
considering most coaches just leave without anything exchanged, this was indeed a heist from the Clips.  only sad part on the upcoming picks for me is that all all the years NOT to have control over the Nets' pick, this is the one we really could have used.

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
The Clippers pick is also currently #23 with a very good chance of sliding to at least #22.  It' s highly unlikely the Clips' pick will fall further than #21 but that's still an amazing return for a coach who wanted to leave.

Mike
considering most coaches just leave without anything exchanged, this was indeed a heist from the Clips.  only sad part on the upcoming picks for me is that all all the years NOT to have control over the Nets' pick, this is the one we really could have used.

+1.  On the plus side, they'll be even worse next year.

Wow, just checked ESPN lottery mock draft.  Despite our winning streak, we're still currently slated to get the #11.  Go Utah!  Just in case we don't make the playoffs, of course.

Mike

« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Mike

I am ok with that.  The Nets pick is going to Atlanta this year so I see them continuing on the downward slide.

« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This could be one of those strange years where a great team, maybe even Finals team, ends up only getting even better by getting a top pick in the draft. Can you imagine if Atlanta goes to the Finals and the Nets win the lottery and get the top pick? Suddenly the Hawks could be a long term contender for a long time adding a Towns or Okafor to the squad they already have.

« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
This could be one of those strange years where a great team, maybe even Finals team, ends up only getting even better by getting a top pick in the draft. Can you imagine if Atlanta goes to the Finals and the Nets win the lottery and get the top pick? Suddenly the Hawks could be a long term contender for a long time adding a Towns or Okafor to the squad they already have.

So what you're saying is Horford and/or Millsap might become available?  ;)

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
So time to talk myself into Bobby Portis and Kevon Looney.  I kind of want to trade Sully + our pick for the 10th pick if we get the 6th seed.  Do you think someone would bite on that?

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2015, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Portis could definitely be around at 15

« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So time to talk myself into Bobby Portis and Kevon Looney.  I kind of want to trade Sully + our pick for the 10th pick if we get the 6th seed.  Do you think someone would bite on that?
Not sure the 6th seed is realistically in play. With just 16 games left, if the bucks go 8-8 he rest of the way that means the Celtics would have to go 13-3 the rest of the season to get the 6th seed. Even if Milwaukee goes just 6-10 the C's would still need to play at an 11-5 level to get the 6th seed. Withe away games @ OKC, SA, Cleveland and Toronto and home games versus Toronto, Cleveland, and LAC plus games versus Milwaukee, Indy and Miami, I just don't see a realistic scenario for this team to make the 6th seed with Milwaukee having a four game lead at this point
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:22:05 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

examples that come to mind are:
1) Boston having the #1 and trading it for Parish and Mchale --> awesome
2) Lakers adding #1 pick James Worthy --> royally sucked
3) Boston getting Len Bias with #2 --> great, for 2 days then tragically awful.
4) Houston adding Olajuwon the year after adding Sampson --> great for them
5) SA adding Duncan to a team that was getting Robinson back --> great for them, sucked for us.
6) Charlotte adding Mourning the year after adding Larry Johnson --> great for them
7) Orlando dealing the #1 pick in Webber for Penny when they had just added Shaq --> great because I created my all-time favorite putdown line for Webber ==> he was the cheapest trade ever because he was traded for a Penny! ;D

« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Not sure the 5th seed is realistically in play. With just 16 games left, if the bucks go 8-8 he rest of the way that means the Celtics would have to go 13-3 the rest of the season to get the 6th seed. Even if Milwaukee goes just 6-10 the C's would still need to play at an 11-5 level to get the 6th seed. Withe away games @ OKC, SA, Cleveland and Toronto and home games versus Toronto, Cleveland, and LAC plus games versus Milwaukee, Indy and Miami, I just don't see a realistic scenario for this team to make the 6th seed with Milwaukee having a four game lead at this point
The Bucks have been 4-9 since the trade deadline. In that span they have had the worst offense in the league. We play them twice so if we can win those two games we would only be 2 back with the tiebreaker. I think them going 6-10 and us going 11-5 is possible with the ways that both teams are currently trending.

Sure it's unlikely but I don't think it's completely unrealistic.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

5) SA adding Duncan to a team that was getting Robinson back --> great for them, sucked for us.
6) Charlotte adding Mourning the year after adding Larry Johnson --> great for them
7) Orlando dealing the #1 pick in Webber for Penny when they had just added Shaq --> great because I created my all-time favorite putdown line for Webber ==> he was the cheapest trade ever because he was traded for a Penny! ;D
While I agree with 1,2,3 and kinda of even 5, the others weren't adding great players to an already established great team, just to a team that happened to have just added a great player the year before. So that kinda makes what I am saying an even more rare event.

« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Potentially a really good night for our Clips pick, with the Grizzlies, Spurs, Rockets and Pelicans all most likely coming out with wins.

If the Hornets can somehow beat the Clips, which I am rooting for because I don't see the Hornets overcoming us even if they win tonight, it will go a long way to getting us a pick in the low 20s instead of the mid 20s.  Dallas and the Clippers are both 5-5 in their last 10 games, while NO is 7-3 and looks to be locking up a win tonight.  My dream scenario of us getting the 6th seed and the Clippers giving us an unprotected lottery pick is coming closer to fruition.

« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

While I agree with 1,2,3 and kinda of even 5, the others weren't adding great players to an already established great team, just to a team that happened to have just added a great player the year before. So that kinda makes what I am saying an even more rare event.
fair point - but I do think that getting that next player is what put those other teams well on the way to becoming top teams

« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Potentially a really good night for our Clips pick, with the Grizzlies, Spurs, Rockets and Pelicans all most likely coming out with wins.

If the Hornets can somehow beat the Clips, which I am rooting for because I don't see the Hornets overcoming us even if they win tonight, it will go a long way to getting us a pick in the low 20s instead of the mid 20s.  Dallas and the Clippers are both 5-5 in their last 10 games, while NO is 7-3 and looks to be locking up a win tonight.  My dream scenario of us getting the 6th seed and the Clippers giving us an unprotected lottery pick is coming closer to fruition.
tough call there.

hope for Clips to miss playoffs means Dallas stays in so we don't get their pick but Clips is unprotected but extremely unlikely to move up from #14.  on the other hand, if Dallas misses playoffs they'd be unlikely to move up from #14 and C's would get the Clips at hopefully something in the high teens.  C's with 3 picks in the teens could help add some good players for next year or give them a chance to combine 2 to move up to around 9-10