Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 166300 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 09, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I haven't seen SS but loved both the other two DC flicks. For the marvel stuff I thought iron man 1 was good but both sequels awful. Cap America 1 campy but pretty good, the sequel I thought was a little ridiculous but not that bad. Hulk with Norton I actually liked. No fun at age of ultron and guardians what I saw I just had it. It's just personal taste. I like grim . I don't like campiness. I know that's what it's going for and they're having great success but I just don't dig pirates of carribean type goofy action. It's great that it's family friendly though.

« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Both Thor flicks were awful in my opinion.

« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I don't hate marvel or hate any of the movies , I'm just not into the tone. I don't want talking ducks or raccoons . I'm not being a smart ass and I've watched a bunch of these movies but they're just not my style.

« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I know some really hated MPs and b v s even more but for those who DID enjoy them I do think it's key that superman can't come back mopey when the world will likely accept him. He has to change as a person would in my opinion. I don't want to see a donner type superman lol. But he has to be happier in his job.

« Reply #364 on: August 19, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If anyone's curious... I sorted every major superhero film since 2000 by critical consensus:

Basic HTML version:  http://publish.smartsheet.com/2acbc508be70495b94ad899b58ae13fd

Interactive verison that lets you sort/filter:  https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=8194e516872f4d178928f1afa31d3927

Default, I'm sorting by metacritic score since it's superior to rottentomatoes, but I've included the rottentomatoes % as well.   There's some color coding based on the studio. 

Just kinda interesting.   I was surprised to see a couple movies high on that list.  "Superman Returns" got much better reviews than I remembered.   Hellboy II is one of the most critically acclaimed superhero films.   Funny to see that the recent "Fantastic 4" movie and Haley Berry's "Catwoman" got exactly the same metacritic and rottentomatoes scores. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:24:13 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #365 on: August 19, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If anyone's curious... I sorted every major superhero film since 2000 by critical consensus:

Basic HTML version:  http://publish.smartsheet.com/2acbc508be70495b94ad899b58ae13fd

Interactive verison that lets you sort/filter:  https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=8194e516872f4d178928f1afa31d3927

Default, I'm sorting by metacritic score since it's superior to rottentomatoes, but I've included the rottentomatoes % as well. 

Just kinda interesting.   I was surprised to see a couple movies high on that list.  "Superman Returns" got much better reviews than I remembered.   Hellboy II is one of the most critically acclaimed superhero films.   Funny to see that the recent "Fantastic 4" movie and Haley Berry's "Catwoman" got exactly the same metacritic and rottentomatoes scores.

wow great job!

« Reply #366 on: August 19, 2016, 02:16:11 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Cat woman is awesome unintended comedy gold. If I remember correctly she skies over Benjamin brat Nd almost two hand slam dunks it on him in front of the school kids. A cosmetic company with security ready to shoot to kill. Just hysterical.

« Reply #367 on: August 19, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Cat woman is awesome unintended comedy gold. If I remember correctly she skies over Benjamin brat Nd almost two hand slam dunks it on him in front of the school kids. A cosmetic company with security ready to shoot to kill. Just hysterical.
That's like the only scene I've ever seen from that movie.  Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

« Reply #368 on: August 19, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

you gotta read those comments on that clip. I LOL'd hard

« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

you gotta read those comments on that clip. I LOL'd hard

The part about there being too many cuts is funny.

It reminds me of this...  "In Taken 3, Director Olivier Megaton makes 15 camera cuts in 6 seconds to show Liam Neeson jumping over a fence"

Here's the video of that:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

I improved on the 15 camera cuts, and made a version with 68 cuts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5DkJvDKgXY

« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Saw Suicide squad the other day. Mediocre at best, it really started to drag in the last 30 minutes or so.

Will Smith was awful, couldn't be bothered to act, just did his normal routine.

Most of the squad members origin stories were underdeveloped.

Really Warner Bros. should have just made a more focused Harley Quinn/Joker movie, maybe with Deadshot and Amanda Waller as secondary characters, and used that material to build towards a legit Suicide Squad sequel focused on the team.

Sad thing is that they shot a ton of footage which wasn't used in the final cut, much of which would have alleviated the movie's flaws.

The most egregious cuts were those that showed the abusive relationship between Harley and Joker. These scenes were critical to Harley's character arc, as they would have showed her eventually breaking free from the cycle of abuse.

http://www.slashfilm.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scenes/

« Reply #371 on: August 19, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
There's been a pattern in the last few DC movies.

Just too many plotlines going on at once, with not enough time devoted to each one. They have not spent nearly as much time as Marvel has setting these stories up. It's like they're trying to cram a miniseries into a single movie.

Dark Knight Rising should have been split into two movies. That film drew upon literally dozens of comics, including multiple major storylines from the comics ("Knightfall," "Dark Knight Returns," maybe even "No Man's Land"). We see Bane enslave a ruined Gotham, but barely any time is spent showing what that enslavement really looks like. Just one rushed scene after another.

Batman v Superman suffers from similar problems. Thankfully I never saw the theatrical cut and only watched the extended edition, which fills a lot of the plot holes that vexed so many fans. But even the extended cut feels undercooked.

To maintain my willing suspension of disbelief I need more reason to believe that Batman and Superman could hate each other so much. This critical plot point just didn't get enough time and attention. Wonder Woman was also underutilized. If they had fixed this and lightened the tone just a little bit they would have had a great film.

But to fix this they needed more screen time. Three hours just wasn't enough for the scope of story they tried to tell. They should have split it into two films.

And Suicide Squad was a mess, as I detailed in a post above.

Maybe over at Warner Bros. there are too many cooks in the artistic kitchen?

« Reply #372 on: August 19, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Marvel has unfurled their universe at a much more leisurely pace than DC.

Before the release of "the Avengers" in 2012 we'd already seen Iron Man 1+2, Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and Thor.

We didn't need any introductions on the fly. We knew who Loki was and why he was disgruntled.

DC is doing things the opposite way for some reason.

Keeping in mind that Nolan's Batman movies are a separate universe, we are only getting Man Of Steel, Batman v Superman, and then Wonder Woman.

Then we get the full Justice League movie.

Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, and possibly Green Lantern will be thrown in without a proper intro.

Some of those characters are not well-known to the general public. You have to wonder what DC is thinking, they could be repeating the same mistake they made with "Suicide Squad."

« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Oof , I myself thought iron man 2 and 3 were awful after liking the 1st one.avengers just fighting bunch of nobody's, , ultron flick boring. I honestly thought Ben Kingsley reveal in im3 was a blooper reel my friend was joking with me giving me a burnt copy. I'm in the minotity but Loki ws rificulous to me. Shooting laser beams out of the back of a pick up truck?
  Mos i thought was amazing. I did love BVS . It has a story, a sense of danger and very good reason Batman would hate superman and why superman wanted to stop Batman. I don't get the criticism really. I have heard mixed reviews on SS from fans. I'm not super eager to see that one. Maybe I'll check out for continuity sake. I'm not a comic book fan though so I know some people were upset with depictions in DC world. Maybe I benefitted from not being as aware.
  But I also am a fan of dark stories so that plays to DC too where I think the marvel movies I saw are lighter and like a pirates of the carribean type fun movie. I get that.

« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Somebody please remove this thread from me