Author Topic: It's Finally Safe  (Read 3668 times)

Re: It's Finally Safe
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Having Lebron as your leader role model just teaches you to blame others, get coaches fired and the like.  Poor Kyrie

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Having Lebron as your leader role model just teaches you to blame others, get coaches fired and the like.  Poor Kyrie

TP

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 06:04:26 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
not really sure how this solidifies his intention to stay with this team long term.  Besides getting paid way more than this team can afford for more than 3 seasons, to make it into the rafters you need to put in at least 9 incredible seasons.  Right now, I'm having a hard time seeing him stay more than 3 seasons.  In the league's rapidly changing climate, staying with one team for a really long time is becoming unsustainable.  Teams understand that the financials make retaining superstars difficult because rebuilding periods happen more frequently. 

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
not really sure how this solidifies his intention to stay with this team long term.  Besides getting paid way more than this team can afford for more than 3 seasons, to make it into the rafters you need to put in at least 9 incredible seasons.  Right now, I'm having a hard time seeing him stay more than 3 seasons.  In the league's rapidly changing climate, staying with one team for a really long time is becoming unsustainable.  Teams understand that the financials make retaining superstars difficult because rebuilding periods happen more frequently.
And yet a lot of players have hit 9 years with the same team. 

Of last year's all stars, these are the guys who will hit year 9 or more entering this season

At least 9 years with same team
Wall (entering 9th year this season)
Westbrook
Curry

At least 9 years in league not same team
Aldridge (9 years w/ Blazers previously)
Harden
James
Durant (9 years w/ Thunder previously)
Lowry
Horford (9 years w/ Hawks previously)
Love
DeRozan (obviously was 9 years in Toronto before the trade)

Harden and Lowry are entering year 7 on their current team.  Love, Harden, and Love were all traded and then re-signed to the team that traded for them.

The only all stars last year that have less experience that have been on more than 1 team are Irving, Oladipo, Butler, Cousins, Dragic, and George and they were all traded (though George and Irving did push their way out). 

Beal, Giannis, Davis, Zinger, Walker, Thompson, Green, Embiid, and Towns are all on the team that drafted them and all have re-signed at least once.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 09:34:29 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
He doesn't need to hit nine years with the Celts to get considered for the rafters, Garnett wasn't with the Celts for nine seasons and it seems highly likely his number will get retired. Now Kyrie isn't Garnett, but if he leads the Celts to multiple championships it would not be a shock for him to get his number retired.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I wonder if this is related to Damian Lillard's recent comments about Portland. 

“That would be an honor to be a lifetime Blazer,” Lillard told The Athletic at the NBA 2K launch in New York. “Not a lot of guys get to play for one organization for their entire career. Obviously, I love playing for the Blazers. I love living in the city. I feel like I’ve established a connection with the people and the culture of the city just as much as I’ve done on the basketball court, so that’s important. But, as we know, it’s a business and a lot of times organizations have other plans, and sometimes players change their stance on that. But to be a lifetime Blazer, that would be great. I’m all on board for it.”

He's also arguably better, his city loves him, and he has averaged 78 games/season for his career.

Lol you used a thread about Kyrie committing to Boston that smashed your hopes to pieces and post a random statement from a player you compare Kyrie to so you can say your tiresome piece about how Kyrie is trash.

Is that an unreasonable speculation? Irving gave an initially non-committal and stupid response about his future in Boston.  He was criticized by the media, and gradually tempered his subsequent responses.  Lillard's recent comment has been praised by the media and fans - the same Lillard who has been frequently compared to Kyrie (often favorably) by the media, Celticsstrongers (see several recent threads that I didn't contribute to), etc. -- and Kyrie then changes his position.  Irving struggled in CLE's locker room due to the attention and credit LeBron was given, and you may think of this situation as an extension of that -- he's insecure and bases his self-identity and -worth on how he compares to peers and is regarded by others.  If that sounds unfamiliar or presumptuous, review the reports of Irving's issues in CLE, watch his post-trade interview with Max Kellerman; in contrast, listen to his markedly different attitude on the Bill Simmons podcast, where Bill bent over backwards to stroke his ego.  Now if you were so bold as to describe Irving's personality as narcissistic, you'd expect Irving to follow on the heels of Lillard's response.

Relax with the personal attacks.  I'm not that special.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:09:11 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Its Finally Safe
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Anything could happen lol.

Ainge could flip Kyrie/SAC 19/MEM 19 for Davis midseason and have all of us shocked AKA Kendrick Perkins 2011.
That trade was filling a need.
We didn't have any athletic wing.
PP was old,
Posey and Tony Allen were gone.
We also had Shaq ATT.

Now we are wingfull.

Keep the starting 5 and everything else is available for Davis.
3/4 Picks, Smart, Rozier...
We really need a pinned thread about that trade.  In hindsight, it was a bad trade because
(1) we didn't know JG would turn out to be so inconsistent and just plain average.
(2) the chemistry lost something with the Perk-Rondo separation

Jeff was certainly inconsistent and average, but he still had a better career post-trade than Perkins.

I don't think the chemistry would have made up for what Perk became after the injury.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:42 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
When Kyrie entwined his fathers number 11 that hangs from rafters at BU and the imagery of number 11 taking an even further progression to hanging with the legends.It felt like an oath too his father to finish the journey that was started in Boston to it's very pinnacle.
Listening to Kyrie humbled by the impromptu meeting up with Bill Russell, just hammered home the meaning of leaving a legacy.

Part of Kyrie comes out in his game flighty,whimsical and mercurial. Trying to capture that, to be put in a box or pinned to a board just takes away from the appreciation of his game.
Fear is a thief, it steals the moment and projects a negative shroud over the future.
Kyrie committed in a way i thought i needed ,not a contract but with a vision that allowed Kyrie to be what makes him great.

Maybe it was the total media day, the place as described by Marcus the calm he finds on court or Marcus Morris able to talk about his issues with stability-then his brilliant-BWA bench with attitude.
Rather fitting Kyrie hitting that deep three to end scrimmage against an active defensive player was it Rozier?

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
And yet a lot of players have hit 9 years with the same team. 

Of last year's all stars, these are the guys who will hit year 9 or more entering this season

At least 9 years with same team
Wall (entering 9th year this season)
Westbrook
Curry

At least 9 years in league not same team
Aldridge (9 years w/ Blazers previously)
Harden
James
Durant (9 years w/ Thunder previously)
Lowry
Horford (9 years w/ Hawks previously)
Love
DeRozan (obviously was 9 years in Toronto before the trade)

Harden and Lowry are entering year 7 on their current team.  Love, Harden, and Love were all traded and then re-signed to the team that traded for them.

The only all stars last year that have less experience that have been on more than 1 team are Irving, Oladipo, Butler, Cousins, Dragic, and George and they were all traded (though George and Irving did push their way out). 

Beal, Giannis, Davis, Zinger, Walker, Thompson, Green, Embiid, and Towns are all on the team that drafted them and all have re-signed at least once.

Yeah, there are plenty of talented players staying numerous years, but without their rookie scale deals, it is much harder to keep players around for that long.  The speculation that those players are moved happens right around when their second contracts expire.  So, Kyrie is right there.  He will likely stay with the Celtics.  But to stay beyond this new contract will be tough because the team will have to keep spending ridiculous money to keep this team together. 

If you recall, Ainge had intended to shake up his first big 3 after the third season, so far this group has about three more seasons at least for Irving, Hayward, and Horford.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
He doesn't need to hit nine years with the Celts to get considered for the rafters, Garnett wasn't with the Celts for nine seasons and it seems highly likely his number will get retired. Now Kyrie isn't Garnett, but if he leads the Celts to multiple championships it would not be a shock for him to get his number retired.

I too agree that would probably get him in the rafters.  But Garnett has a title and more.  He exemplifies everything it meant to be a Celtic.  If Kyrie leaves, he will not be given the same status among legends and I see it would make it that much harder for him to make it up there, especially if he is here less than five years.