Poll

With Ayton and Doncic gone, who would you want the C's to draft at #3 as of May 15th?

Marvin Bagley III - PF - Duke
27 (56.3%)
Jaren Jackson Jr - PF - Michigan State
12 (25%)
Mo Bamba - PF - Texas
4 (8.3%)
Michael Porter Jr - SF - Missouri
3 (6.3%)
Wendell Carter - PF - Duke
1 (2.1%)
Trae Young - PG - Oklahoma
0 (0%)
Collin Sexton - PG - Alabama
0 (0%)
Other Player
1 (2.1%)
Trade the pick, alone or in a package, in a non-AD deal
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Say we land #3 tonight... Who's your current #3 prospect if no Ayton or Doncic?  (Read 5148 times)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So where do we need the Laker pick to land for it to be ours?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
whoever has the best chance of guarding Kevin Durant one on one in a couple of years. Not sure he exists in this upcoming draft.

How is Bagley's defense?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
whoever has the best chance of guarding Kevin Durant one on one in a couple of years. Not sure he exists in this upcoming draft.

How is Bagley's defense?
he can guard all 5 positions. great feet, good switch defender and contests shots well. He moves like a wing

https://youtu.be/B1LshWBvbFQ
https://youtu.be/q9k4EZJjpbY

His defense is why I think Bagley could be the best player in the draft. The duke system isn't the best to showcase defensive  tools so it might be even better than advertised. Aytons defensive instincts leave a lot to be desired (he makes jahlil okafor look smart on D which is sad).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:27:39 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I've been in the Porter camp for awhile.
that guy has a very nice shooting form and nice offensive moves. He has a lot of promise.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's a tough call for me between JJJ and Bagley.  JJJ is the much safer pick.  Carter might even be a safer pick.

Bagley is such a tough player to evaluate.  Bagley is 6'11" and extremely athletic.  He's so fast and so quick.  His second jump is great.  But I find it difficult to understand why he had so few bocks, 0.9 per game.  He shot 39.7% from three on 1.8 threes per game, but his form doesn't look great and he only shot 62.7% from the free throw line.  He also scored 21 points per game on a team with a lot of offensive options on an overall shooting percentage of 61.4% and grabbed 11.1 rebounds (4 per game on offense) while sharing the floor with Carter.

Whoever is drafting third (assuming Ayton and Doncic go 1&2) is going to have to do a lot of homework on him.

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Bagley then Bamba...need to be able to match up with Embiid for the next decade

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
So where do we need the Laker pick to land for it to be ours?

2 or 3

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My Cs big board top 5 would be

Doncic, super redundant with this roster but BPA and BS could make it work. This would be a tough pick given the Cs need at big and the player right behind him. I suspect we might see another trade down situation.

Ayton, if be can adapt to the Cs defense he could be really special. He has a higher ceiling then Doncic but also a much lower floor. 

Jackson Jr, not the sexy pick but he could be an amazing understudy to Al. He has true DPOY potential while still providing spacing to play 5 out offense and the ability to attack a close out.

Bamba, he is a bit of a risky pick given his lack of clear offensive fit but I have faith the Cs could figure him out and develop him into an amazing anchor for years.

Bagely, he would be a project on D but he is actually taller and longer then Al and is an elite athlete. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
It's a tough call for me between JJJ and Bagley.  JJJ is the much safer pick.  Carter might even be a safer pick.

Bagley is such a tough player to evaluate.  Bagley is 6'11" and extremely athletic.  He's so fast and so quick.  His second jump is great.  But I find it difficult to understand why he had so few bocks, 0.9 per game.  He shot 39.7% from three on 1.8 threes per game, but his form doesn't look great and he only shot 62.7% from the free throw line.  He also scored 21 points per game on a team with a lot of offensive options on an overall shooting percentage of 61.4% and grabbed 11.1 rebounds (4 per game on offense) while sharing the floor with Carter.

Whoever is drafting third (assuming Ayton and Doncic go 1&2) is going to have to do a lot of homework on him.
would be real interesting if we win the 3rd pick, and if danny finds a trade partner to go trade down and get Carter and a future pick

That would be fun. We could be in the lotto yet again . We just keep hoarding lotto picks until we get the next lebron

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

would be real interesting if we win the 3rd pick, and if danny finds a trade partner to go trade down and get Carter and a future pick

That would be fun. We could be in the lotto yet again . We just keep hoarding lotto picks until we get the next lebron

I really like Carter.  He's not as exciting as other guys, but I think he will be a solid NBA player and would fit the Celtics very well.  It would be great for him to practice with Horford every day and learn from him since they look like similar type of players.

If Ainge pulled that off with another future pick, I'd be thrilled.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I really like Carter.  He's not as exciting as other guys, but I think he will be a solid NBA player and would fit the Celtics very well.  It would be great for him to practice with Horford every day and learn from him since they look like similar type of players.

If Ainge pulled that off with another future pick, I'd be thrilled.
Agree 100%

Even carters stable demeanor resembles horfords on court attitude. A lot of similarities in playstyle for sure. Almost seems like a no brainer to get carter. He has great defensive instincts

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I still think Bagley is arguably the best prospect in this draft.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Jaren Jackson is such an overrated prospect. He averaged like 11 and 5 in college.. What's he going to average in the nba against better competition? 7 and 4?

Bagley is the one. He might end up being better than doncic and ayton. Porter also has a chance to be the best in the class
I'm not necessarily advocating Jackson if we somehow got a high pick, but it seems a bit off to me to base everything on his college stats when you consider he played on a deep team that had an established leader who took twice the shots JJ did. His per 36 #s were terrific, and he was maybe the best shot blocker in the country, and much more athletic than Bamba.

Personally, I'd take Bagley. He's such an athlete that I'd expect him to improve the aspects of his game that he's lacking right now.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would think it's Bagley, but there is some pause.  He's not really a shooter (which is highly valued  in the NBA today) and he's also a fairly average physical specimen (not very long). 

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I would assume the choice would be between Bagley, Jackson, and Bamba. Getting another high-level big would really set our roster up both for next year and the future as Al ages.

I think Bamba is the longest shot of the 3 considering our player profile. He doesn't seem like a guy that will be able to facilitate offense from the perimeter. However, his shot-blocking and length would give us a whole other dimension defensively.

Normally, I would lean towards Bagley with his combination of athleticism and productivity, so I think he would be the guy that would need to be "beat out" by Jackson or Bamba in the draft process.

Jackson is a big-time skill fit with our roster as he seems to have the upside to develop into a more athletic Horford type.

It would be a good problem to have.