Author Topic: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??  (Read 13446 times)

Re: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm honestly finding it hard to see Smart even getting more than 15M/Year from another team with cap space.

It's been an extremely wild season for him, but his shooting still looks below average and now he's turning the ball over a lot more. 4/52M is what I'd give him at this point, though that might be a bit generous too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I'm honestly finding it hard to see Smart even getting more than 15M/Year from another team with cap space.

It's been an extremely wild season for him, but his shooting still looks below average and now he's turning the ball over a lot more. 4/52M is what I'd give him at this point, though that might be a bit generous too.

He's shooting is the smallest problem. His numbers are even not that terrible. His ball handling and Kobe-acting, that's what's terrible. He's authorized to  do anything that crosses his mind. I gave him too much time. Can't stand him any more.

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He is fan favorite , good locker room dude , and is old school attitude which Danny loves.

Danny is  wise ,  realizing the tight cap with mnay teams , no need to jump the gun and over pay.

He can resign Marcus at a workable contract for both sides.  I think tells his agent he wants to stay a Celtic and deal is made.

Toast to my man Marcus ...... clink .....glasses of green kool -aid.  ;D

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

At this point, 4/40 is looking like it might be too much money to give Smart.

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No. And at this point if I had to choose

Im keeping rozier instead

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

When Evan Turner got 4/70?  I just find it hard to believe there aren't a few teams out there who will give him more than 4/40 in today's market.

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

He's shooting is the smallest problem. His numbers are even not that terrible. His ball handling and Kobe-acting, that's what's terrible. He's authorized to  do anything that crosses his mind. I gave him too much time. Can't stand him any more.

Smart’s shooting numbers are neither "even not that terrible" nor "looks below average." His shooting numbers are brutally bad and rookies Lonzo Ball and Josh Jackson are the only NBA players whose Total Shooting Percentages are worse and who  play similar minutes. This is after what has been an uptick in Smarts numbers recently.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_advanced.html#advanced_stats::8

Just for reference, Rondo’s career TS% is 50.1% compared to Smart’s career TS% of 47.6% and his current mark of 45.0% (the median player’s TS% this year is 54.3%).

Smart’s Offensive Rating per 100 possessions, which measure s his individual offensive impact, has dropped to 93 from 102 last year. He has regressed in many offensive categories other than assists in a contract year and he has more than offset his increased assists by increased turnovers. I hope he turns it around because he has the potential to be a good player, but time is ticking away and I think the pressure to perform has affected him negatively.

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

When Evan Turner got 4/70?  I just find it hard to believe there aren't a few teams out there who will give him more than 4/40 in today's market.

Okay, people need to get this into their heads. That was during a year with a huge jump in salary cap and a record amount of cap space. It was a single, standout year. Stop using contracts from this season as a comparison for future NBA contracts because that year bears no relevance to what future NBA players will get. Also, Evan turner is universally now considered an awful contract. If Marcus Smart's agent says "well Evan Turner got 4/70," he would get literally slapped in the face by the GM he was negotiating with.

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Okay, people need to get this into their heads. That was during a year with a huge jump in salary cap and a record amount of cap space. It was a single, standout year. Stop using contracts from this season as a comparison for future NBA contracts because that year bears no relevance to what future NBA players will get. Also, Evan turner is universally now considered an awful contract. If Marcus Smart's agent says "well Evan Turner got 4/70," he would get literally slapped in the face by the GM he was negotiating with.
Understood, completely.  However, I still think $10M per year is low these days for a rotation player who also starts sometimes.  Somebody will want MS but personally I hope it's the Celtics..

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've been saying it for a while. Either we get Smart locked into a great value contract (5 year, 40 million dollar) that compares to Tony Allen's first contract with the Grizz, or he accepts the QO, plays another year for us on that, and enters the 2019 FA as an UFA.

There simply isn't any money this off-season for players like Smart. There are better guards (Reddick, Paul, Parker, Thomas, KCP, Bradley, Williams, Barton, Evans, Lavine, Payton, Hood, and McCaw) available.

I am still a firm believer that Smart's struggles have to do with rhythm, not ability, but I don't think any GM has the cajones to invest a lot of money in Smart and hope he can get into rhythm. There are better high risk/high reward guys out there (Lavine, Okafor, Hezonja, Exum, Parker, Gordon, Noguira, Capella, Nurkic) for a GM looking for a homerun swing.

All in all, that gives Smart almost no leverage. His only leverage option is to take the QO (1 year, 6 million) and hope that he can show his game enough to get a big offer in 2019 (even though he is splitting minutes with Tatum, Irving, Rozier, Hayward, and Brown).

On the other hand, the Celtics can offer guaranteed money for the next 5 years in a system he knows with a coach that believes in him. I think Smart wants to be a Celtic, and I think we can get him for a great Tony Allen-esque contract.

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
I've been saying it for a while. Either we get Smart locked into a great value contract (5 year, 40 million dollar) that compares to Tony Allen's first contract with the Grizz, or he accepts the QO, plays another year for us on that, and enters the 2019 FA as an UFA.

There simply isn't any money this off-season for players like Smart. There are better guards (Reddick, Paul, Parker, Thomas, KCP, Bradley, Williams, Barton, Evans, Lavine, Payton, Hood, and McCaw) available.

I am still a firm believer that Smart's struggles have to do with rhythm, not ability, but I don't think any GM has the cajones to invest a lot of money in Smart and hope he can get into rhythm. There are better high risk/high reward guys out there (Lavine, Okafor, Hezonja, Exum, Parker, Gordon, Noguira, Capella, Nurkic) for a GM looking for a homerun swing.

All in all, that gives Smart almost no leverage. His only leverage option is to take the QO (1 year, 6 million) and hope that he can show his game enough to get a big offer in 2019 (even though he is splitting minutes with Tatum, Irving, Rozier, Hayward, and Brown).

On the other hand, the Celtics can offer guaranteed money for the next 5 years in a system he knows with a coach that believes in him. I think Smart wants to be a Celtic, and I think we can get him for a great Tony Allen-esque contract.

I don't think a lot of these players are clearly better than Smart if that is what you are trying to say.
Reddick is going to be 34 and is having a pretty mediocre shooting season (by his standards). He may fit in with some contenders well, but some teams would definitely prefer Smart's play making and defense.

Mccaw is not even in the same league as Smart, not sure why he would be mentioned.

Parker was looking washed up before his most recent injury, would be shocked if he got a similar contract to Smart at this stage of the year.

Payton has some very similar flaws in his game on offense to Smart and is worse on defense.

Hood and Lavine have both demonstrated less actual positive impact on winning basketball games than Smart.

Some of these guys are very likely to also stay with their teams. I don't think Smart is going to get a huge offer myself, but saying people like Tony Parker and McCaw are better than him is pretty weird... 

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
As mentioned in some prior posts, there's not a lot of teams projected to have a lot of cap space this next offseason and the few that do will want to spend it on a better player. 

depending on how his shot improves (or continues to be spotty), his contractual situation could vary from MLE level money (which the C's should match) up to maybe $15 mill per season which should give the C's some pause.  Love Marcus and everything about his game (except his shooting) and would love to keep him if the money is reasonable.  I think $12 mill per year for 3-4 years would be about as high as the C's would go.

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As mentioned in some prior posts, there's not a lot of teams projected to have a lot of cap space this next offseason and the few that do will want to spend it on a better player. 

depending on how his shot improves (or continues to be spotty), his contractual situation could vary from MLE level money (which the C's should match) up to maybe $15 mill per season which should give the C's some pause.  Love Marcus and everything about his game (except his shooting) and would love to keep him if the money is reasonable.  I think $12 mill per year for 3-4 years would be about as high as the C's would go.
The problem, as it is with many cap teams, would be that we'll be stuck with either having Smart, or nothing at all. I'll be happy to move on, but unless there's an outrageous offer on the table I don't see how we can replace him except via trade.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

This,added a stable organization for him to just give it for the team, he will get star money if he is worth it anyway.
Imagine the coach told him to shoot less, or use the stat padding guy over him, or his teammate don't play defense, i don't think he will be happy in those places and happiness is important for millionaires

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The problem, as it is with many cap teams, would be that we'll be stuck with either having Smart, or nothing at all. I'll be happy to move on, but unless there's an outrageous offer on the table I don't see how we can replace him except via trade.
agreed, which is why I think the C's keep him.  I can't see a team with cap room picking Smart as the guy they want to sign to a big contract.  I think Smart will get offers but nothing outrageous.