Author Topic: Did Brad almost blow this one -was Morris 3 point shot bad shot selection  (Read 3231 times)

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My primary issue with Boston's offense is that it's usually one-dimensional—oftentimes, if the threes aren't falling, they don't try something else, like getting into the paint and drawing fouls (though they seem to be doing more of that lately, which I think is a good development).

And I have nothing to back this up except observations, but it seems to me that this Celtics team is very all-or-nothing—in any given game, either most of the team is shooting well or most of the team is shooting poorly. It seems very psychological. And if that's true, I don't think that's a good thing—guys need to be able to make shots independently of how well others are shooting.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
steven's encourages this team to have bad shot selection with his coaching philosophy.

our offensive droughts that we go through every game - EVERY GAME, happen because guys fall in love with the jump shot. because that's our default philosophy, because our offense is designed to get guys open jump shots. the whole thing sucks.

when we get eliminated this yr. watch we'll go on a stretch of jump shots that essentially gets us bounced... it's happened every yr. we made the playoffs.
I’m betting EVERY team goes through an offensive drought EVERY game.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don’t think that was on Brad. Morris generally has bad shot selection. Even as a starter, if he catches the ball, it generally sticks. He doesn’t have enough court awareness to be a playmaker.

Thankfully, he’s not handling the ball a lot so he’s a recipient of a bunch of catch and shoot opportunities which helps his shooting %
- LilRip

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
The bigger problem all season has been lack of talent.

We came in with grand ideas of a multi-star team.

Kyrie = Our Steph
Hayward = Our Klay
Tatum = Our Durant
Horford = Our Draymond

Meanwhile, you had fans here creating threads about how we didn't need someone like Kawhi Leonard, because we already had Jaylen Brown.  Lots of fans expected him to be a star.

In reality it's more like...

Kyrie = Our Damian Lillard
Hayward = Our Marvin Williams
Tatum = Our Otto Porter Jr

Horford is still our Draymond, but some feel he's slipping. 

Brown... eh... probably making a similar impact as someone like Kent Bazemore.

It makes sense for a group like that to win around 50 games. 

People blame Brad, because they misunderstand what our team was last year.  Once Kyrie got hurt, the "next man up" philosophy took hold and these kids admirably played at a 48 win pace.  Very impressive.  Credit coaching there.  Brad is great at getting guys to overachieve.  That was probably more realistically a 35-43 win team with a different coach.  We saw Brad do a similar thing with a starting lineup of Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller.   He's great at getting 35 win teams to make the playoffs.   

Much harder trying to get wins out of individuals who see themselves as stars when collectively they are pretty mediocre.  Lack of effort and execution becomes an issue.  We're seeing positive signs the last couple games where we are giving Kyrie 24+ shots per game... which makes sense given he's the only guy you can rely on.

Kent Bazemore and Otto Porter? Aiieeee, think that's a little rough.

Also - Klay doesn't nearly have the playmaking chops that Hayward does. I would have argued with anyone saying he was "our Klay". Maybe our super rich-man's Livingston, or better-shooting Iguodala, fine.. but not Klay.

Shame about the headache.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The bigger problem all season has been lack of talent.

We came in with grand ideas of a multi-star team.

Kyrie = Our Steph
Hayward = Our Klay
Tatum = Our Durant
Horford = Our Draymond

Meanwhile, you had fans here creating threads about how we didn't need someone like Kawhi Leonard, because we already had Jaylen Brown.  Lots of fans expected him to be a star.

In reality it's more like...

Kyrie = Our Damian Lillard
Hayward = Our Marvin Williams
Tatum = Our Otto Porter Jr

Horford is still our Draymond, but some feel he's slipping. 

Brown... eh... probably making a similar impact as someone like Kent Bazemore.

It makes sense for a group like that to win around 50 games. 

People blame Brad, because they misunderstand what our team was last year.  Once Kyrie got hurt, the "next man up" philosophy took hold and these kids admirably played at a 48 win pace.  Very impressive.  Credit coaching there.  Brad is great at getting guys to overachieve.  That was probably more realistically a 35-43 win team with a different coach.  We saw Brad do a similar thing with a starting lineup of Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller.   He's great at getting 35 win teams to make the playoffs.   

Much harder trying to get wins out of individuals who see themselves as stars when collectively they are pretty mediocre.  Lack of effort and execution becomes an issue.  We're seeing positive signs the last couple games where we are giving Kyrie 24+ shots per game... which makes sense given he's the only guy you can rely on.
Brown a Kent Bazemore? Lol just because Brad stuck him to the corner and wasted him until recently doesn't make him a three point chucker like Bazemore, he's quite a bit more dynamic and better defensively.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don’t think that was on Brad. Morris generally has bad shot selection. Even as a starter, if he catches the ball, it generally sticks. He doesn’t have enough court awareness to be a playmaker.

Thankfully, he’s not handling the ball a lot so he’s a recipient of a bunch of catch and shoot opportunities which helps his shooting %

That's his game though. You guys are always trying to make a shooter a passer, and a passer a shooter and are never happy with anyone unless it's pampering Gordon all the time even though his weaknesses are what you criticize everyone else for.

And not only that, the man has a passive nature on the court, and is fragile. The fact yall think he's like the most important piece on this team is laughable.

If and when we do get bounced out of the playoffs, it's gonna be because no one could see how much tougher this team would've been with Smart, Morris, and Crowder.

Hayward is just an ok piece and will always be just that.

Also when the intensity picks up in a game and teams go on runs, the team that gets the most loose balls always wins out.

Gordon and other slow people will always hurt a team in that regard. Don't matter how much you love the man.

Lastly...the lowly Knicks didn't seem to think Porzingis gave them all that much besides shooting...and yall loved him too.

I wish yall would stop being so blinded by...whatever it is.

Yall shoulda loved Olynik because that's the type of player you love. Can shoot and pass a lil bit, but weak as hell everywhere else. We don't need anymore players that learned how to shoot in their driveway and got nothing else after that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:43:49 AM by Triplenickle »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

That's his game though. You guys are always trying to make a shooter a passer, and a passer a shooter and are never happy with anyone unless it's pampering Gordon all the time even though his weaknesses are what you criticize everyone else for.

And not only that, the man has a passive nature on the court, and is fragile. The fact yall think he's like the most important piece on this team is laughable.

If and when we do get bounced out of the playoffs, it's gonna be because no one could see how much tougher this team would've been with Smart, Morris, and Crowder.

Also when the intensity picks up in a game and teams go on runs, the team that gets the most loose balls always wins out.

Gordon and other slow people will always hurt a team in that regard. Don't matter how much you love the man.

Lastly...the lowly Knicks didn't seem to think Porzingis gave them all that much besides shooting...and yall loved him too.

Yall shoulda loved Olynik because that's the type of player you love. Can shoot and pass a lil bit, but weak as hell everywhere else. We don't need anymore players that learned how to shoot in their driveway and got nothing else after that.

Lol WTH did I just read? I talk about MM’s shot selection and were suddenly talking about Hayward, Porzingis, etc. etc.?

But since you bring him up, Hayward is definitely a way more important piece than what you give him credit for. I’ll bet TPs he will not always be just a bench player.

Secondly, you think the Knicks gave up on Porzingis because they thought he was some one dimensional player? No, KP wanted out and NY got value for him when they could. Better than losing him to FA. You’re sleeping on Porzingis if all you think he can do is shoot.

Thirdly, Smart Morris and Crowder? They’re the difference makers? Granted, Smart makes a ton of impact on the game but cmon. You think Crowder would’ve righted this ship? Crowder is the difference between a Finals berth and a 2nd rd or ECF loss??

Lastly, I like how you completely sidestepped MM’s bad shot selection. Yes, that’s his game. So what? Iso bully ball is Melo’s game. Is that how he should be playing? Just because a player likes to play a certain way doesn’t mean it’s best for the team.
- LilRip

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Lol WTH did I just read? I talk about MM’s shot selection and were suddenly talking about Hayward, Porzingis, etc. etc.?

But since you bring him up, Hayward is definitely a way more important piece than what you give him credit for. I’ll bet TPs he will not always be just a bench player.

Secondly, you think the Knicks gave up on Porzingis because they thought he was some one dimensional player? No, KP wanted out and NY got value for him when they could. Better than losing him to FA. You’re sleeping on Porzingis if all you think he can do is shoot.

Thirdly, Smart Morris and Crowder? They’re the difference makers? Granted, Smart makes a ton of impact on the game but cmon. You think Crowder would’ve righted this ship? Crowder is the difference between a Finals berth and a 2nd rd or ECF loss??

Lastly, I like how you completely sidestepped MM’s bad shot selection. Yes, that’s his game. So what? Iso bully ball is Melo’s game. Is that how he should be playing? Just because a player likes to play a certain way doesn’t mean it’s best for the team.

For a contending team that needs bench scoring, his game is a perfect fit. I know he's not Posey but still.

And if you had him, Smart, Crowder, Terry and a center coming off the bench, I doubt other 2nd units want to see them.

But I just used your post to vent a lil bit. It wasn't really all about your post, but what I generally read in here.

I will say though...Hayward fits this team about as well as Eric  montross would have fit Pitino's system.

They can fill that spot better with less money too
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:59:04 PM by Triplenickle »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

For a contending team that needs bench scoring, his game is a perfect fit. I know he's not Posey but still.

And if you had him, Smart, Crowder, Terry and a center coming off the bench, I doubt other 2nd units want to see them.

But I just used your post to vent a lil bit. It wasn't really all about your post, but what I generally read in here.

I will say though...Hayward fits this team about as well as Eric  montross would have fit Pitino's system.

Unfortunately, Marcus Morris is not a bench player right now.

And I think we can put the whole BWA concept to rest. Rozier-Smart-Morris-Theis/Baynes (center) isn’t scaring anyone. Even if you add Crowder to that. Besides, a supposedly strong bench isn’t winning you a chip as you had implied in your post (the whole “when we get bounced, it’s because we’re not tough without Crowder/Morris/etc.”)

And it’s no secret Hayward isn’t earning his contract right now. 30m is a lot of money. Can he get to that level? Well, he’s shown it before. Unlike, say, Morris or Crowder.

- LilRip

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Unfortunately, Marcus Morris is not a bench player right now.

And I think we can put the whole BWA concept to rest. Rozier-Smart-Morris-Theis/Baynes (center) isn’t scaring anyone. Even if you add Crowder to that. Besides, a supposedly strong bench isn’t winning you a chip as you had implied in your post (the whole “when we get bounced, it’s because we’re not tough without Crowder/Morris/etc.”)

And it’s no secret Hayward isn’t earning his contract right now. 30m is a lot of money. Can he get to that level? Well, he’s shown it before. Unlike, say, Morris or Crowder.

Toughness isn't all about scaring people, it's about not being fragile and most importantly not afraid to let someone feel your presence. Put a body on someone, let them know you're out there. If you have to foul then foul, and stop counting them. Make them go around you, hold your ground. Angle them off.

It changes things and makes people do different things. Being a matador waving a red cape is embarrassing. Even though Crowder wasn't the fastest guy, people had to work to get around him the same way they do Smart.

Alot of times stats are not telling any stories.

And Crowder will definitely jump in someone's face when they get disrespectful, and has enough respect to keep people in check. Those things MATTER, man...and gives the whole team confidence and fires them up.

There's so much more than hitting a jumper at a certain %...and even then Crowder shot it pretty well.

This team alot of times embarrasses me with lack of toughness and intelligence.

And not only that but the 3 of them together would feed off each other and the whole culture of the team would change.

It should be eye-opening that a team led by IT who constantly gave up his body on drives was backed by a mucher tougher team with a different mentality, but actually had less talent.

Little things make a big difference, and sadly Danny is completely oblivious to those type of things.

And I forgot...all those little things slow people down for the next man on the switch...and THAT'S why they get burned so badly.  Then lack of communication.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:32:43 AM by Triplenickle »