Author Topic: Car at my Apartment had all 4 tires stolen, do wheel locks work?  (Read 16864 times)

Re: Car at my Apartment had all 4 tires stolen, do wheel locks work?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
I sell car alarms...Both simple and comprehensive.  Just get something simple for what you're referring to...A simple 2-wire hookup with adjustable shock sensing and set it as low as you can.  Cheap 2-wire sets take 5 minutes to install and are great for just that as long as you have the shock sensor set as far back as possible.  Just make sure you get one that makes a hellacious lot of noise.

This.  Those wheel locks you linked to are too common. I'm not a mechanic or anything, just a guy who likes cars, and I have the socket to get those off (so obviously someone who is out stealing rims and tires can too).

But most car alarms will go off when the car is disturbed, and this will lower your insurance rate , and protect other valuables in the car.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do." - Franklin

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
too easy to lose, too easy to strip.

you only have to change one flat tire with a welding torch to swear off wheel locks for ever.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Upside: Thieves were too stupid to steal the whole car!

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nothing  can deter a determined thief.  Not security system, not a gun or nothing.  I would consider an alarm system.  Some stickers saying you have an alarm system.  Park in a well lit area.   Things like this can make you a less choosey target and less prone to get hit.