Author Topic: Science questions  (Read 17930 times)

Re: Science questions
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Here is a question to ponder that I give my students.

Name an activity that would be awesome with no friction.

Hockey. Basically the logical extreme of a currently awesome activity.

Now i'm not sure how it would work. If you could still dig into the ice, then it would just be the same activity but at super-speeds.

But, what if the frictionless playing surface could not be dug into to create traction (based, I believe, on force normals and not friction)? Well, then the entire sport would change. Puck would never stop, and all of your actions would be based on the forces gained by pushing off the boards and hoping your trajectories were correct...holy cow. Imagine that? all 10 players basically pinballing at high speeds off the boards trying to anticipate puck movement to push themselves into beneficial positions while the puck pings around? Goalies would drift away due to the slightest contact, and it would be a whole sub-strategy to push them back into place...yikes. totally different sport.

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Thanksgiving with the in-laws  ;)

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I was under the impression that technically everything deals with friction all the time. Like if I push a space probe through space since there are about 100 atoms of hydrogen per cubic foot out there it would still technically experience both friction and the pull of gravity.

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Now i'm not sure how it would work. If you could still dig into the ice, then it would just be the same activity but at super-speeds.

But, what if the frictionless playing surface could not be dug into to create traction (based, I believe, on force normals and not friction)? Well, then the entire sport would change. Puck would never stop, and all of your actions would be based on the forces gained by pushing off the boards and hoping your trajectories were correct...holy cow. Imagine that? all 10 players basically pinballing at high speeds off the boards trying to anticipate puck movement to push themselves into beneficial positions while the puck pings around? Goalies would drift away due to the slightest contact, and it would be a whole sub-strategy to push them back into place...yikes. totally different sport.

How do the players hold onto the sticks if their is no friction?  Or would sticks just be flying everywhere? 

And forget about controlling the puck.  There is no friction between the puck and stick.

And it would be fun watching players get up after they fall down trying to climb over the frictionless wall. 

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Thanksgiving with the in-laws  ;)

I fear for the person who has to try and catch the carving knife after is slips from the carvers fingers. 

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
What I'm hearing at this moment is that everything that happens on Earth has friction, and I'm not as sure about the rest of the universe

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 01:08:53 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

How do the players hold onto the sticks if their is no friction?  Or would sticks just be flying everywhere? 

And forget about controlling the puck.  There is no friction between the puck and stick.

And it would be fun watching players get up after they fall down trying to climb over the frictionless wall. 

Holding sticks would be hard...they'd have to tape them to their gloves.

But hitting the puck wouldn't be a problem, as that is not based on friction necessarily, but rather directly opposing forces.

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

FLY

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Wouldn't gravity hold at least a few things together? I mean I don't think I'm just going to slip off my couch if friction ended, right? I mean I'm in the groove right now plopped right it where i belong

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
They found a new land mammal this week (admittedly it's pretty small). That got me thinking. In theory if you find a new animal that you had no idea existed and there is no record of it in the fossil record....is that evidence of creationism? If that's not what would be?

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

But hitting the puck wouldn't be a problem, as that is not based on friction necessarily, but rather directly opposing forces.

Actually even hitting the puck could be much more of a problem. If you swung the stick forward, your body would move backward with an equal and opposing force.

I think you would be unable to exert a force on anything unless you were braced (against a wall, for example), or had momentum from another source. Skates would help, but not as much as they do now.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:28:06 AM by Boris Badenov »

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It would have to be a perfectly inelastic collision, wouldn't it? Otherwise there's friction.

Say you do something in space, where something or someone is launched from point A to point B and they (Or it) launched from point A with magnetic propulsion so you don't touch anything. That would probably be fairly frictionless.

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595

Marriage
Still don't believe in Joe.