Author Topic: Science questions  (Read 17932 times)

Science questions
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Last time I tried this people brought up God and I think it got locked. If you're going to bring up God please remember we already have a Tim Tebow thread

If everything in motion stays in motion, which is why like when fast cars suddenly stop you lunge out of your chair, does that mean if the Earth suddenly stopped spinning we would all go flying about a hundred miles or so?  Does anyone know this?

Re: Science questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Depending on what force was acting on the earth, absolutely we would find ourselves being smashed into paste. Our atmosphere would keep rotating and would be moving so fast it'd probably wipe out most cities, trees, and people.

The earth has an immense about of rotational energy due to its size and motion. Since things don't just "stop" some force would have to act upon the earth to make it stop. What would happen would depend on whether that force just impacted the Earth, the Atmosphere, and how sudden a stop it had.

There are a lot of articles on it actually when I googled it. Most concern themselves with a gradual slowdown of the Earth's rotation however. A sudden would would release so much energy that'd we'd surely be killed. Though if it was slow we'd have a rotating clam bake on one half the planet and a freezing darkness on the other half. So we'd have that to look forward to.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Last time I tried this people brought up God and I think it got locked. If you're going to bring up God please remember we already have a Tim Tebow thread

If everything in motion stays in motion, which is why like when fast cars suddenly stop you lunge out of your chair, does that mean if the Earth suddenly stopped spinning we would all go flying about a hundred miles or so?  Does anyone know this?

Probably not a hundred miles, but a significant distance. It also obviously depends on where you are. At the equator you'd be spinning at about 1000mph before the stop, neat the poles you'd hardly be moving.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Probably not a hundred miles, but a significant distance. It also obviously depends on where you are. At the equator you'd be spinning at about 1000mph before the stop, neat the poles you'd hardly be moving.

so the earth would be ruled by penguins in this scenario?  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

That'd be an upgrade on Rick Perry.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm predicting a penguin vs. elves war for global domination.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

If everything in motion stays in motion, which is why like when fast cars suddenly stop you lunge out of your chair, does that mean if the Earth suddenly stopped spinning we would all go flying about a hundred miles or so?  Does anyone know this?

so the earth would be ruled by penguins in this scenario?  :)

More likely polar bears. Greenpeace will be thrilled.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That'd be an upgrade on Rick Perry.

Not that that separates Perry other politicians...

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Since in the US, we are moving at about 700-900 MPH, if the Earth was to stop spinning in a moment, that's how fast everything else would still be going until something else stops its.  It could be friction.  It could be a really well built building (though I would expect most would be ripped into motion)  

I don't think it would be pleasant.  

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Since in the US, we are moving at about 700-900 MPH, if the Earth was to stop spinning in a moment, that's how fast everything else would still be going until something else stops its.  It could be friction.  It could be a really well built building (though I would expect most would be ripped into motion)  

Worse still, if the oceans didn't stop with the land they'd probably flow over every bit of land on the planet.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Worse still, if the oceans didn't stop with the land they'd probably flow over every bit of land on the planet.

Actually, that might help clean up all the dead bodies. 

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
So, in this scenario what's my best disaster plan?  Canned food, a bunker and a shotgun isn't going to cut it?  Maybe one of those giant plastic balls that people get into and roll down hills?  Full of canned food and shotguns, obviously!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So, in this scenario what's my best disaster plan?  Canned food, a bunker and a shotgun isn't going to cut it?  Maybe one of those giant plastic balls that people get into and roll down hills?  Full of canned food and shotguns, obviously!

Create a long voyage space craft and hope for the best. 

The Earth is toast for anyone to live on.  (or an ice cube if you happen to be on the dark side of the now still planet)

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The bunker might work, assuming it was rather large and filled with a substance that would cushion and slow your stop. Airtight would help as well. And, for crying out loud, make sure those cans are *really* secured.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Create a long voyage space craft and hope for the best. 

The Earth is toast for anyone to live on.  (or an ice cube if you happen to be on the dark side of the now still planet)

Who would even still be here? Would we retain the atmosphere?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner