Author Topic: What is your favorite steakhouse chain?  (Read 17684 times)

Re: What is your favorite steakhouse chain?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's a Brazilian steakhouse, but Fogo de Chao is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at.  If you're ever in a city that has on, I highly recommend it.  Just make sure you're hungry.

http://www.fogodechao.com/

I've never been, and now I'm saddened that I never made it there when I lived outside of Philly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I don't really have a favorite steakhouse, per-say. I do, however have a ritual completely isolated to basketball where I will (save up the money &) treat myself to a Kobe-steak dinner whenever the Lakers and Bryant lose a big game.

Last season I only could do this twice; once after the Lakers lost to LeBron James' Cavaliers on Christmas Day (I didn't actually buy the steak dinner until the Celtics eliminated the Cavs from the playoffs). The second time was during the summer after we lost to the Lakers in the Finals; though that time I was just reminiscing the regular-season game in February when the Nuggets torched the Lakers in Los Angeles.

Even though Kobe is considered the best 'Kloser' in the league  ::) he still has games where he is off. Man, is 'kobe-beef' expensive, though...yet so delicious  :P
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Only been the Long Star but it was good. Agree on buying and cooking your own.For Canada, the Keg although there is a French Bistro where I live that makes an amazing steak.

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

But Roy, you've reminded me of Bugaboo. I think I'll probably go there with my lady tonight. That place is pretty good, too.

I've traditionally been a big fan of Bugaboo, but the last two times I've been in there, the service was terrible.  If you get the sort of heavyset waiter, ask for somebody else.  (You're in Bangor, right?  Or am I making that up?)

Where else is there a Bugaboo?

Portsmouth, NH

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Anyone remember York Steak House?  They no longer exist, but I used to love it.  I never tasted their steak though. :-\  I was addicted to cheeseburgers and every time I went I ordered a burger.  Never once ordered steak. They used to call me Wimpy because of my love for cheeseburgers.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anyone remember York Steak House?  They no longer exist, but I used to love it.  I never tasted their steak though. :-\  I was addicted to cheeseburgers and every time I went I ordered a burger.  Never once ordered steak. They used to call me Wimpy because of my love for cheeseburgers.

Wow.  I actually remember going to the one in the Auburn Mall when I was a kid.  Don't think I ever had the steak, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Wow.  I actually remember going to the one in the Auburn Mall when I was a kid.  Don't think I ever had the steak, either.

There was one in Hanover.  I used to be fascinated by the color coded temperature tags they'd stuck into the steaks,
Yup

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my favs are japanese steakhouses (hibachi, shogun, kobe, etc).  as far as traditional steakhouses chains are concerned, i think i would go with longhorn.

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 01:57:01 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Outback is the only one I've been to, and I really like them.

But lately (past year) their steaks have been so-so. They make a lot of other great stuff like appetizers, chicken, and burgers, so I may stick to those.

But, although I love steak, I rarely order it when eating out. It's like a salad, they are easy to make at home and wildly overpriced considering I can make one nearly as good myself.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 05:06:37 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Outback first (it's the bread), then Longhorn.  Best non-chain...Buckhorn Exchange in Denver, Berns in Tampa are the best I have been to.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:54:05 AM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does Chilis count? Probably not, right?

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does Chilis count? Probably not, right?

No, I'd say Chili's is in a different category.  They may have steak on the menu -- like Friday's or Applebee's -- but they're more of a ... family chain restaurant?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There was one in Hanover.  I used to be fascinated by the color coded temperature tags they'd stuck into the steaks,

I ate at the one in Hanover once or twice.

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
It's a Brazilian steakhouse, but Fogo de Chao is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at.  If you're ever in a city that has on, I highly recommend it.  Just make sure you're hungry.

http://www.fogodechao.com/

Yeah, Brazilian Rodizios are pretty awesome, too. There's a place in Cambridge/Sommerville called Midwest Grill, which is a terrible name for a Brazilian concept restaurant. The steaks themselves there aren't great, but if you really like meat, you pay a set price (like $15 at lunch!) and they bring by rotisserie meats on giant skewers and cut it off on to your plate. They bring by literally ten to twelve different offerings (from chicken, steak, & sausages to chicken hearts, pigs feet, lamb & shrimp)and have a couple different Brazilian hot sauces on the table. You get what ever sides you want from their hot buffet/salad bar, and you literally eat until you are full. You have to tell them to stop bringing you food!

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Best steak I ever had was in Buenos Aires. I don't remember the name of the place but they cooked the meat over a large, slow burning wooden log putting the steak on angle irons that were placed such that the steak cooked slow and the juices flowed down the angle iron into a trough that the chefs used to baste the steaks. The steaks were 3-4 inches think so they were constantly basting them as they cooked the meat very slowly.

Unbelievable taste. Pampas beef, no steroids. Just out of this world. Ate palmas for the first time there to. Delicious.

In America though the best steak I ever had was a prime rib at Morton's in Chicago just off North Michigan Ave. Brought over in a rolling cart and you got to pick where to cut the rib and how thick. It was awesome. Ahh, I miss those conventions at the McCormack Center staying in downtown Chicago. Love that city.