Author Topic: What is your favorite steakhouse chain?  (Read 17683 times)

Re: What is your favorite steakhouse chain?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Outback

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

But Roy, you've reminded me of Bugaboo. I think I'll probably go there with my lady tonight. That place is pretty good, too.

I've traditionally been a big fan of Bugaboo, but the last two times I've been in there, the service was terrible.  If you get the sort of heavyset waiter, ask for somebody else.  (You're in Bangor, right?  Or am I making that up?)

I haven't been there in a few years, so I haven't really seen what's been going on there. But good memory, Roy. I'm in the Bangor/Old Town/Orono area.

Where else is there a Bugaboo?

The other one I'm familiar with is in Portland, but apparently they're spread into MA, as well.  I don't want to discourage you from going; the food has always been good.

Ah nothing ever discourages me from steak or ribs. No worries.

And while I'm speaking of steaks, it isn't a chain and isn't really a steakhouse but if you're ever in the Bangor area you should check out Paddy Murphy's pub, Roy. They have some incredible steak there. That and their Irish nachos. Amazing.

Yeah, I like Paddy's a lot, although I've never gotten the steak.  I'm pretty bummed that The Whig closed; that was my other consistent downtown lunch option.

Ok, don't think the Whig and Courier actually closed. I was just in West Market two nights ago and while I didn't happen to really pay attention to it at the time, I don't think they closed.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/144589.html

That article seems to back that up, too. I have never personally been inside there but I know it's pretty much a staple and landmark for downtown and if it ever did just disappear (Like the Coffepot) I'd be disappointed.

With the Whig, it was scheduled to close in late May, but I know it stayed open.  However, the last several times I've gone down there, there were signs advertising an auction of restaurant equipment, and it was empty.

However, it could very well have reopened yet again.  (As for the Coffee Pot, there's a "new" Coffee Pot Cafe over on Broadway, which I haven't heard good things about.  Some of the former employees, but not the owner, opened it.)

Well, I'll go down there tonight and check out the Whig for you.

I'm not sure if it's the Legacy you were talking about.. The one right by the hospital like 50 feet from the coffepot was? If so, yea. It's not the same. Never will be. I never met anyone like Skip that could make just turkey and bread taste so good.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think pretty much all the "chain steakhouses" named here are pretty bad.  If I had to go with one, I'd probably go with Texas Roadhouse or Bugaboo. 

If I want steak, I'm not going to go to a "chain steakhouse".  Much better quality (and usually price) out there at other places, many that can be construed as Mom & Pop shops.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

But Roy, you've reminded me of Bugaboo. I think I'll probably go there with my lady tonight. That place is pretty good, too.

I've traditionally been a big fan of Bugaboo, but the last two times I've been in there, the service was terrible.  If you get the sort of heavyset waiter, ask for somebody else.  (You're in Bangor, right?  Or am I making that up?)

I haven't been there in a few years, so I haven't really seen what's been going on there. But good memory, Roy. I'm in the Bangor/Old Town/Orono area.

The other one I'm familiar with is in Portland, but apparently they're spread into MA, as well.  I don't want to discourage you from going; the food has always been good.

And while I'm speaking of steaks, it isn't a chain and isn't really a steakhouse but if you're ever in the Bangor area you should check out Paddy Murphy's pub, Roy. They have some incredible steak there. That and their Irish nachos. Amazing.

Yeah, I like Paddy's a lot, although I've never gotten the steak.  I'm pretty bummed that The Whig closed; that was my other consistent downtown lunch option.

Ok, don't think the Whig and Courier actually closed. I was just in West Market two nights ago and while I didn't happen to really pay attention to it at the time, I don't think they closed.

That article seems to back that up, too. I have never personally been inside there but I know it's pretty much a staple and landmark for downtown and if it ever did just disappear (Like the Coffepot) I'd be disappointed.

With the Whig, it was scheduled to close in late May, but I know it stayed open.  However, the last several times I've gone down there, there were signs advertising an auction of restaurant equipment, and it was empty.

However, it could very well have reopened yet again.  (As for the Coffee Pot, there's a "new" Coffee Pot Cafe over on Broadway, which I haven't heard good things about.  Some of the former employees, but not the owner, opened it.)

I'm not sure if it's the Legacy you were talking about.. The one right by the hospital like 50 feet from the coffepot was? If so, yea. It's not the same. Never will be. I never met anyone like Skip that could make just turkey and bread taste so good.

No, the "new" Coffeepot is right on Broadway, near Dairy Queen and McDonald's.  I haven't been in, but of course, I missed the "old" Coffeepot, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think pretty much all the "chain steakhouses" named here are pretty bad.  If I had to go with one, I'd probably go with Texas Roadhouse or Bugaboo. 

If I want steak, I'm not going to go to a "chain steakhouse".  Much better quality (and usually price) out there at other places, many that can be construed as Mom & Pop shops.

Interesting.  I'm a fan of non-chain restaurants, but honestly, I've enjoyed the quality of chain steakhouses every bit as much, if not moreso. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree with this.  Truth be told, I almost never get steak at these "steakhouses".  I much prefer to just go to the store, pick out a nice steak, and make it myself, or spend the extra money for a real high quality steak at a nicer restaurant.  

I think these places are really no different than the TGIFridays, Applebees, Chilis, and other chain restaurants.  You can get a decent, if generic meal for a decent price, but they just don't stand up to legit steakhouses.    

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

No, the "new" Coffeepot is right on Broadway, near Dairy Queen and McDonald's.  I haven't been in, but of course, I missed the "old" Coffeepot, too.

Didn't know they had a "new" coffepot. That's stupid.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree with this.  Truth be told, I almost never get steak at these "steakhouses".  I much prefer to just go to the store, pick out a nice steak, and make it myself, or spend the extra money for a real high quality steak at a nicer restaurant.  

I think these places are really no different than the TGIFridays, Applebees, Chilis, and other chain restaurants.  You can get a decent, if generic meal for a decent price, but they just don't stand up to legit steakhouses.    

Yup.  Also, a lot of these places get too gimmicky with their steaks (and charge for it in price).  There really is no need to smoother a steak with whatever ingredients or sauces.  To me, that's a bit of a cover and is disingenous to the whole purpose of enjoying a steak. 

Also, nothing beats a fresh handcut steak.  Not steaks that have been cut in some faraway, corporate distribution facility and then vacuum sealed and sent to the individual restaurant sites (which some chains are certainly guilty of).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yup.  Also, a lot of these places get too gimmicky with their steaks (and charge for it in price).  There really is no need to smoother a steak with whatever ingredients or sauces.  To me, that's a bit of a cover and is disingenous to the whole purpose of enjoying a steak. 

Also, nothing beats a fresh handcut steak.  Not steaks that have been cut in some faraway, corporate distribution facility and then vacuum sealed and sent to the individual restaurant sites (which some chains are certainly guilty of).

Absolutely.  When it comes down to it, the best thing to do is just to head over to the butcher, get a nice rib eye (for about 1/4 of the price you would pay even at these chain places), give it a nice, simple rub, and toss it into a hot, cast iron skillet with a little butter or oil.  Your wallet will be almost as happy as your stomach.

...is it dinner time yet?

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Ruth's Chris by a mile, if it is considered a chain.

Any fans of KO Prime? Love that place.

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Ruth's Chris by a mile, if it is considered a chain.

Any fans of KO Prime? Love that place.

Ruth's Chris was excluded, since it's a "high end" chain.  I love their sides, I love their bisque...  Last time I got their steak, though, it fell into the "good but not great" category.

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Me and my girlfriend always go to outback really love it there.

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Sorry, I'm a steak snob.  Worked at a good ol' steakhouse for a long long time, and I'm working there again for a bit currently. I'd rather shell out the extra cake for a good steak.  If I'm at a chain place I'll stick with pasta or chicken or something.

I ate at Outhouse Steakback once and felt pretty ill after.  Mind you I ordered chicken at a steakhouse, but the thing tasted like body odor (not that I've ever tasted BO...but I can imagine that that's what it would taste like).
Yup

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:22 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Interesting.  I'm a fan of non-chain restaurants, but honestly, I've enjoyed the quality of chain steakhouses every bit as much, if not moreso. 

/co sign
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Sorry, I'm a steak snob.  Worked at a good ol' steakhouse for a long long time, and I'm working there again for a bit currently. I'd rather shell out the extra cake for a good steak.  If I'm at a chain place I'll stick with pasta or chicken or something.

I ate at Outhouse Steakback once and felt pretty ill after.  Mind you I ordered chicken at a steakhouse, but the thing tasted like body odor (not that I've ever tasted BO...but I can imagine that that's what it would taste like).

Some of the filets that you get are pretty good cuts of meat. It's hard to eat out when you're a cook, though. You know all the tricks and mistakes, and you can practically perform an autopsy on your dinner to see them. "See, they cooked it ahead of time, then they microwaved it, then they threw it under the broiler for a minute. That's why this part is soggy, this part is singed, this part is warm and this part isn't". It was quite a while after I stopped working in restaurants before I ever ordered seafood when I ate out.