Author Topic: Today's Knicks game is why you don't trade Rajon Rondo  (Read 33808 times)

Re: Today's Knicks game is why you don't trade Rajon Rondo
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline IrishGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
18 pts 20 assists 17 boards...and only 4 TOs.  Fourth triple double of the season.  The only other player to ever have 15+ / 15+ /15+ triple double in the history of the NBA is Jason Kid (x2).
 I have no idea where you got this from, but it is absolutely not factual at all.  Heck Wilt once went for 20 or more in all three categories in the 68 season with 22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists (and had 15+ multiple times).  

Oscar did it multiple times in his career as well.  I mean the man averaged 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists in 61-62.

There is no way you can compare the NBA 50 years to the NBA today. That is a laughable contrast.

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
18 pts 20 assists 17 boards...and only 4 TOs.  Fourth triple double of the season.  The only other player to ever have 15+ / 15+ /15+ triple double in the history of the NBA is Jason Kid (x2).
 I have no idea where you got this from, but it is absolutely not factual at all.  Heck Wilt once went for 20 or more in all three categories in the 68 season with 22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists (and had 15+ multiple times).  

Oscar did it multiple times in his career as well.  I mean the man averaged 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists in 61-62.
Hubie and co. were looking for something to gawk over during the national broadcast, and Rondo's triple double was the obvious candidate.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Today's game is why you trade Doc Rivers. Small Ball killed the Celtics. 11 of 15 Knicks offensive rebounds came when Doc made the switch.

This bench needs Ray Allen badly. They single-handedly almost gave the game away. Doc put Ray Allen on the bench. or Danny Ainge bring us Michael Beasley. Either way the bench needed a scorer.

If Doc Rivers is to blame for the team reverting to the Pierce iso offense for the entire 4th quarter, then yeah, this game didn't speak well for him.

WTH are you talking about? Pierce saved Celtics today. He went toe-to-toe with Melo. Rondo will get a lot of props because of his stat line, but he missed gazillion layups in the 4th

Pierce KILLED the Celtics in the 4th quarter today.  He and the team got bailed out by that desperation 3, which was a bad shot that happened to go in.

The Celtics finally got back to actually playing like a team in overtime and they had a solid lead going into the last minute.

You can't be serious.

Paul took one bad shot, forcing a fade away 3, besides that he hit ever shot he took in the 4th quarter. The lead was squandered because, per usual, Rondo can't score in the 4th quarter to save his life. He miss 3 give me layups. and took at least 2 awful jumpers that were total bricks, one early in the clock and the other when he dribbled out the clock.

Rondo is the best passer in the league and a unique force on the glass even though it sometime negatively impacts his defensive assignments. But he still has not proven to be able to ice a game because he cant score.

I have also found it interesting that the "pro-rondo's" love to say that when he has high assist totals he makes everyone better but when he has low totals it is because the old guys missed shots.

So he gets the credit when others hit jumpers but none of the blame when they miss. And he doesnt get blame when the other team forces him to score and he cant?

Convenient

PP played extremely well and he trigger the entire run in OT when he played melo 1v1 blocked his shot at foul line and trigger a quick hoop. Knicks never were tied again

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
could not agree more... 4 triple doubles on the year, 2 this week??? thats unbelievable
It's quite believable. Rondo is stat-padding when he gets close to a triple-double. The freelancing for the 10th rebound today was especially appalling, he gave up a wide open three pointer to Baron Davis in a close game.

Great game and all, but don't tell me the team was the first thing on his mind...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Rondo hanging around the rim for the 10th rebound.  Before the 3 point shot by Baron Davis, he gave up another wide open look; can't remember if it was also Davis or somebody else.  He started guarding again after that 10th board.

I've mentioned it before, but Rondo seems to always have big games on SUN ABC games.  It's like he plays up for them.  If only he played this way on a more regular basis.  I'll credit him for a great game today. But it's still just one performance.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Actually, today's game is why you drag Rondo into an office and say, "See what you can do when you bring it?"

The problem isn't his upside; it's his downside. Grow up, son. Quit behaving like it's all about you, and become one of the Celtic greats.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
 I have no idea where you got this from, but it is absolutely not factual at all.

Most likely, it needs the qualifier of "since 1985-86", since that is how far the data on basketball-reference.com goes.  My own list of 10-20 games earlier in this thread needs the same qualifer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Today's game is why you trade Doc Rivers. Small Ball killed the Celtics. 11 of 15 Knicks offensive rebounds came when Doc made the switch.

This bench needs Ray Allen badly. They single-handedly almost gave the game away. Doc put Ray Allen on the bench. or Danny Ainge bring us Michael Beasley. Either way the bench needed a scorer.

If Doc Rivers is to blame for the team reverting to the Pierce iso offense for the entire 4th quarter, then yeah, this game didn't speak well for him.

WTH are you talking about? Pierce saved Celtics today. He went toe-to-toe with Melo. Rondo will get a lot of props because of his stat line, but he missed gazillion layups in the 4th

Pierce KILLED the Celtics in the 4th quarter today.  He and the team got bailed out by that desperation 3, which was a bad shot that happened to go in.

The Celtics finally got back to actually playing like a team in overtime and they had a solid lead going into the last minute.

I'm not sure if we were watching the same game. Pierce had one of his best games this year. 7 huge points final 90seconds.  

Totally agree TP
I understand now. The over-loving of Rondo for most fans is a direct correlation to an underlying hate for Paul Pierce

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
could not agree more... 4 triple doubles on the year, 2 this week??? thats unbelievable
It's quite believable. Rondo is stat-padding when he gets close to a triple-double. The freelancing for the 10th rebound today was especially appalling, he gave up a wide open three pointer to Baron Davis in a close game.

Great game and all, but don't tell me the team was the first thing on his mind...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Rondo hanging around the rim for the 10th rebound.  Before the 3 point shot by Baron Davis, he gave up another wide open look; can't remember if it was also Davis or somebody else.  He started guarding again after that 10th board.

I've mentioned it before, but Rondo seems to always have big games on SUN ABC games.  It's like he plays up for them.  If only he played this way on a more regular basis.  I'll credit him for a great game today. But it's still just one performance.

If he played like this on a regular basis he'd be one of the best players in the history of the NBA. Can't expect him to put up 18/20/17 every night...

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 375
lol, even after a triple double the usual rondo haters will find a way to say something bad...

ok, rondo grabbed 17rebounds by free-lancing to pad his stats ::)

the guy just put up 17pts, 20assists, 17rebounds

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There were 10-12 minutes left in the game when he got his 10th rebound, I don't think he was panicking over it. As far as I'm concerned he can have games where he pads his stats like he did today as often as he likes.

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

You can't be serious.

Paul took one bad shot, forcing a fade away 3, besides that he hit ever shot he took in the 4th quarter. The lead was squandered because, per usual, Rondo can't score in the 4th quarter to save his life. He miss 3 give me layups. and took at least 2 awful jumpers that were total bricks, one early in the clock and the other when he dribbled out the clock.

Rondo is the best passer in the league and a unique force on the glass even though it sometime negatively impacts his defensive assignments. But he still has not proven to be able to ice a game because he cant score.

I have also found it interesting that the "pro-rondo's" love to say that when he has high assist totals he makes everyone better but when he has low totals it is because the old guys missed shots.

So he gets the credit when others hit jumpers but none of the blame when they miss. And he doesnt get blame when the other team forces him to score and he cant?

Convenient

PP played extremely well and he trigger the entire run in OT when he played melo 1v1 blocked his shot at foul line and trigger a quick hoop. Knicks never were tied again
Pierce was enormous in the fourth quarter; saying he killed the club is laughable. Nice job of pointing out his substantial impact on the outcome.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
lol, even after a triple double the usual rondo haters will find a way to say something bad...

There's a big difference between watching the basketball and looking at the stats.  If Carmelo dropped 40 and the NYK lost you'd say his points didn't matter.

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 375

There's a big difference between watching the basketball and looking at the stats.  If Carmelo dropped 40 and the NYK lost you'd say his points didn't matter.

so, the celtics won...and I would assume that rondo's triple double had a LARGE part to do with it

are you saying somehow his stats didnt help the team win?

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Rondo was clearly the best player on the court in the today's Boston - Knicks game.

18 pts 20 assists 17 boards...and only 4 TOs.  Fourth triple double of the season.  The only other player to ever have 15+ / 15+ /15+ triple double in the history of the NBA is Jason Kid (x2).

He dominated Jeremy Lin on defense, picked up tons of loose balls, and kept everyone involved on the offensive end.

Does Rondo have flaws in his game?  Sure.  Can he be inconsistent at times?  Yes.  But he's the best player on the Cs right now and is a top five PG in the league. 

You don't trade guys like that in their prime especially when he's signed to a reasonable if not below-market contract, and if DA does deal Rondo, he (and all Cs fans) will soon regret it for a long time.

Fairly small quibble: I know the guys on ABC said that Rondo is the 2nd guy in NBA history after Kidd to go north of 15-15-15, but I find it hard to believe that Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double for an entire year (and close to it for several consecutive years) without ever having done it.

Still, it's no shot at Rondo. If anything, it's more impressive.

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton

There's a big difference between watching the basketball and looking at the stats.  If Carmelo dropped 40 and the NYK lost you'd say his points didn't matter.

so, the celtics won...and I would assume that rondo's triple double had a LARGE part to do with it

are you saying somehow his stats didnt help the team win?

He had a big part.  But so did Pierce who hit a very difficult shot to even give the C's a shot at winning. The Truth put in 34 points by the way.  Pretty sure Rondo didn't score all 115 points and assist himself on each of those buckets.