Author Topic: Tonight's game proved something....  (Read 4889 times)

Tonight's game proved something....
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:17 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Tonight proved that everyone is trying to trade the wrong guy. Rondo was the hero of this game. When he, Wilcox, and sometimes JJJ were out on the floor the Pistons had no answers and could not get the lead. When Rondo and Wilcox sat... boom there goes the lead...

What went wrong tonight?...

Big 3 are largely ineffective now, especially ray (hate to say it cause I love the guy). With the exception of a couple post shots now and then the only thing ray does is shoot 3s off screens... except now that teams have wised up to it, like the Pistons did tonight by double teaming him, he had absolutely nothing...

Pierce's off shooting nights are a bit concerning and aren't helping this team at all...

To my surprise KG might be the most effective of the bunch, as his defense is really a game changer and would have been useful tonight...

The bench tonight, with the exception of JJJ and Steamer somewhat, was pretty bad too... I'm thinking that Pietrus was bothered by the knee or something cause he was awful, Dooling (sigh) I got nothing, etc

Point here is we need to realize that players like Rondo aren't the problem, and we don't need to trade him to rebuild. If you want to rebuild, trade a member of the big 3 (thinking Ray) and some pieces like Dooling to get an additional player to add to the Rondo/Wilcox fast paced offense,keep KG for defensive presence and the captain (whose still useful prob just in a funk right now) and move on from there.

But lets be real here, if it weren't for players like Rondo and Wilcox, we wouldn't have beat the Bulls and wouldn't have had a lead against the Pistons tonight. The next step is building upon them...

Re: Tonight's game proved something....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
no one game proves anything.  We have yet to beat a single contender all season with or without the big 3.  This team is what it is...  Without a starting center they will not compete.  Not good enough to win a title... too good to tank.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:09:52 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
no one game proves anything.  We have yet to beat a single contender all season with or without the big 3.  This team is what it is...  Without a starting center they will not compete.  Not good enough to win a title... too good to tank.

I mean we did beat the bulls, pacers, magic, knicks, etc...

But I do agree with that though its been more than one game. It just happened again tonight. But you're right we need a more effective center. So trade a member of the big 3 and pieces like JO or Dooling and get someone like Al Jefferson (if possible) or see if a team tries moving one in the next few weeks. That would improve the team far more than trading someone like Rondo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:40 AM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33

we need a center ,a good one

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I have the solution. Anyone thought of cloning Rajon Rondo. That way there will always be a Rondo on the floor. Brilliant idea isn't.

But wait cloning Rondo means Rondo 2.0 would be a baby. God#@#$%

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:53:31 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
I have the solution. Anyone thought of cloning Rajon Rondo. That way there will always be a Rondo on the floor. Brilliant idea isn't.

But wait cloning Rondo means Rondo 2.0 would be a baby. God#@#$%

tp haha. I bet baby rondo could dish a couple assists

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
no one game proves anything.  We have yet to beat a single contender all season with or without the big 3.  This team is what it is...  Without a starting center they will not compete.  Not good enough to win a title... too good to tank.

But I do agree with that though its been more than one game. It just happened again tonight. But you're right we need a more effective center. So trade a member of the big 3 and pieces like JO or Dooling and get someone like Al Jefferson (if possible) or see if a team tries moving one in the next few weeks. That would improve the team far more than trading someone like Rondo
Magic, Pacers and Knicks aren't contenders.  Even if we're calling the Pacers a contender, they still are up 2-1 this year.

Beating the Bulls without Rose doesn't count.

We're 0-5 against the Thunder, Mavs, Heat, Lakers and Bulls (with Rose).

We're also-rans.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:59:43 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
no one game proves anything.  We have yet to beat a single contender all season with or without the big 3.  This team is what it is...  Without a starting center they will not compete.  Not good enough to win a title... too good to tank.

Magic, Pacers and Knicks aren't contenders.  Even if we're calling the Pacers a contender, they still are up 2-1 this year.

Beating the Bulls without Rose doesn't count.

We're 0-5 against the Thunder, Mavs, Heat, Lakers and Bulls (with Rose).

We're also-rans.

Didn't we beat the Bulls with our starting center or our 6th man?
Those are two huge pieces for us too.

The majority of those games were during our horrid first 15 game stretch.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:39 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Certainly proved we can beat one of the League's worst teams. Congrats Celts.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:26 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
It proves you can't win when only Rondo, Jajuan Johnson and Wilcox shows up. But it also shows that Rondo can make Jajuan Johnson and Wilcox look so good that they almost beat the Pistons.

tonight's game proved something....
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
pretty harsh to think that way, not that everybody deserves an off-night but tonight's performance pretty sums up our vulnerability even with teams we should easily beat..one game is not enough to categorically suggest to "build-up" a team around those who performed well tonight..we are formidable to enter the play-offs but to last deeper is another question...
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think it along with many other games proves we need:

1) a great rebounding center, with a post game, who loves to run

2) a great shooter, who loves to run

3) at least two players that can just ball, one on one. Just clear out and turn him loose.(ala Kobe, LBJ, etc. Actually Marshon Brooks comes to mind as a young player with that kind of ability.

They all must be young players.  Then together with Rondo, JJ, maybe CW(because he seems to be RR new favorite big),AB, ET, and a resigned JGreen, you might have a nice nucleus of a team that could win, and be exciting to watch!

If you can resign the Big 3 at drastically reduced $ next year fine. If not get what you can for them, either now or during the off season.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!!

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
RA started the season on fire but the last few games he has not been good.

I think Rondo would be better with running mates too.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

we need a center ,a good one

I don't think they have a good center until next year.  But there's more due to the aging of the Big Three IMO than a lack in the center position.

So the question is how do they play out this year and what if any moves do they make in the meantime?

Playing Dooling over Bradley doesn't seem to actually help the team, so we can hope it's in preparation for a trade--though there's not much we could expect back for him.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
That rondo can dribble faster than his wing men can run?
That ray has the flu? if not he really stunk last night
That wilcox should start over JO
That KG's defense is the most important part of our team
That dooling isn't going to be much of a help at backup pg
That ben gordon can be man handled in the post by rondo  :o