Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24518 times)

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I would package Rozier for a bag of salty peanuts

The other team would probably counter with a bag of poop instead.

Set it on fire and leave it on your doorstep.

There’s always a chance some GM falls in love, but I guess you need at least two to create a market...

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
A lot of underrating Davis in this thread.

I hope he doesn't have to join the Lakers for people to come to their senses.

AD is a plus player wasted on a team with no direction.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

There's definitely risk involved in trading for Davis. If the Celts trade for him next summer and give up Tatum, Brown (and whatever else) what if he doesn't re-sign with Boston in 2021 when his current deal expires?

I would still do it, but you also potentially set yourself up for a 2 year championship window

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

The other team would probably counter with a bag of poop instead.

Does the bag contain a secret draft pick as well?  :o  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

There's definitely risk involved in trading for Davis. If the Celts trade for him next summer and give up Tatum, Brown (and whatever else) what if he doesn't re-sign with Boston in 2021 when his current deal expires?

I would still do it, but you also potentially set yourself up for a 2 year championship window
a solid realistic 2 year title window might be more than Boston will have if it stands pat though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919

You'd wake up the next morning and there would be two Roziers on your doorstep.

Mike

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
obviously they would try for Tatum first.....wouldn't you?

I take Tatum anyday over Kuzma or Ingram . 

I doubt Brown trumps Brons offer

If it's between Kuzma, Ingram + Ball/Hart vs. Brown, Williams, Picks + Rozier/Smart, I would think LAL has the edge for sure. If you swap Brown with Tatum though then BOS has the edge, but I wouldn't do it. Frankly as great as AD is, I think LAL overpays giving up all that youth (and it's possible they have to give up all 4 since I don't think they have any lottery picks coming in their future).

Some folks suggest we package Tatum and Brown both but that's ridiculous.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lakers are in a fun position where they can basically offer everyone on the team other than LeBron RIGHT NOW... because even if they trade everyone, it leaves them with cap space to target a 3rd star to pair with Bron and Davis this SUmmer... and as we know, you can basically put anyone on that team next to LeBron and it's going to win roughly 50 games.  That's the luxury of having arguably the greatest player ever.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lakers are in a fun position where they can basically offer everyone on the team other than LeBron RIGHT NOW... because even if they trade everyone, it leaves them with cap space to target a 3rd star to pair with Bron and Davis this SUmmer... and as we know, you can basically put anyone on that team next to LeBron and it's going to win roughly 50 games.  That's the luxury of having arguably the greatest player ever.

Of course, there's not a lot of proof that the guys they have to trade are particularly valuable to a team that wants to win games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If you knew Tatum bolts NO in 22 when Lebron expires and joins Lakers so he can be near his BFF, Kobe, would that impact thought to include Tatum? I could totally see Tatum ending up in LA if we target Davis. They will demand Tatum or no deal for Davis for sure.

Was curious when Lebron’s contract runs out and it lines up perfect with Tatum being free. It ills me to think we would not keep Tatum in green for life though but trust me, I do want Davis. The thought of Tatum in gold though makes me super nauseous.

Fingers crossed we end up with second pick this year.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If you are thinking Championship favorite you try to keep Tatum and Irving when you acquire Davis. That's your big three. Everything else is on the table.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
If you are thinking Championship favorite you try to keep Tatum and Irving when you acquire Davis. That's your big three. Everything else is on the table.

Is it fair to say Tatum impacts winning but Davis might not  ???

How are the Pelicans w/Davis 2nd to last in the West?!? Seriously?! Is this a case where if AD goes to another team, his stats/impact suffer as well with other great options around him.

Might sound like a dumb take, but folks had this same debate with the likes of Leonard, CP3, Butler, etc. (although Leonard has proven most wrong with how he's done in TOR so far)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

How are the Pelicans w/Davis 2nd to last in the West?!? Seriously?! Is this a case where if AD goes to another team, his stats/impact suffer as well with other great options around him.

Might sound like a dumb take, but folks had this same debate with the likes of Leonard, CP3, Butler, etc. (although Leonard has proven most wrong with how he's done in TOR so far)

Davis took basically the same team to the second round of the playoffs last year, where he led all players in rebounds and blocks while averaging 30+ ppg.

The idea that Tatum somehow impacts winning more is counter to reality.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Well how do you feel Davis impacts the game overall when you watch the Pelicans? It sure isn't negative.

I see a guy doing everything except finding guys. He usually just scores it (a lot like Irving and Tatum). Not a bad thing if he is efficient at scoring. Davis is a factor on offense and defense at elite levels. I feel if they put 3 and D guys around him the team would really take off. Its never had a good roster and the man never had a complementary player. Cousins wasn't that. Anderson wasn't that. Holiday isnt that. Davis hasn't had the right cast so it's unfair to say he doesn't impact winning. It's a lot like the Greek freak. Bucks finally have guys shooting well collectively around Giannis and the man looks like the MVP and the team is winning. Irving and Tatum are solid shooters and creators to pair with Davis the likes he has never had. When Tatum and Irving are locked in their D isn't bad either. So that Big Three is a legit contender IMO.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

And then Lebron, AD and their 3rd all-star get to the playoffs and get absolutely abused. I know it's a star league, but you also need more than 3 guys to field a respectable team.