Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24505 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

everyone else should be available. I think Brown is the chip they use.

Brown isn't enough for the Pels.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Yeah I posted this on Celtics reddit (with CelticQuest's - aka my cousin - permission) and yep @monkhouse was right LOL. Didn't get downvoted to oblivion but there are some hot takes and a few angry comments calling the statement "ridiculous/absurd - of course you do it (trade Tatum in the package if needed)" :P

Also some actually think Hayward would be in the trade and/or just Jaylen Brown is enough...

Lol Hayward. Even if they wanted to deal him I don't think he has much value to be honest, but that's fine by me. And my wish was that it would be something like Jaylen, Rozier/Smart, Williams, Yabu ($$$) + Picks but as we know, the Kings Pick and Brown have deteriorated in trade value I imagine.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

On another note, I agree Brown obviously isn't enough... BUT if they ask for Tatum AND Brown, I'm walking away myself from the negotiation table.  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
obviously they would try for Tatum first.....wouldn't you?

I take Tatum anyday over Kuzma or Ingram . 

I doubt Brown trumps Brons offer

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
It would be like trading a 1st born, but yes.

Even now I feel like Tatum's growth is being stunted by playing next to Kyrie.

We can't pass on the sure thing in hopes that Tatum figures it out.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Still hard to see how they cover AD’s salary w/out really gutting the team. There may be cap gurus who can spin out options but I can’t see them.

Next year AD is due to make $27MM. Brown is on the books for $6.5, Tatum for $7.8, and Smart for $12.5. If we sent out all three that would balance the salaries, but man that is a heck of a lot going out. If you want to take Tatum or Brown or Smart out of this deal, who goes in to even out the salaries? Having three max players and no midrange contracts complicates things more than we like to discuss - and it’s really a problem that (1) Gordon isn’t producing at max level (2) 34 year old Al next to Davis is worth a lot less than he is now, and we would have (unless Al agrees to a cut in order to get a longer term deal) four max salaries, which I think is untenable.

In a better version of this deal I can see a sign and trade of TR so we can keep Smart, but those deals are petty complicated and I think require player buy-in. Add in years of player control for NOP and they are getting a lot of value in that deal - probably too much.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:07:27 PM by Sophomore »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Still hard to see how they cover AD’s salary w/out a sign and trade, which makes the cap considerations very very hard to figure out (at least for me).

Next year AD is due to make $27MM. Brown is on the books for $6.5, Tatum for $7.8, and Smart for $12.5. If we sent out all three that would balance the salaries, but man that is a heck of a lot going out. If you want to take Tatum or Brown or Smart out of this deal, who goes in to even out the salaries? Having three max players and no midrange contracts complicates things more than we like to discuss - and it’s really a problem that (1) Gordon isn’t producing at max level (2) 34-37 year old Al next to Davis is worth a lot less than he is now.

Signed draft picks make up the difference.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Still hard to see how they cover AD’s salary w/out a sign and trade, which makes the cap considerations very very hard to figure out (at least for me).

Next year AD is due to make $27MM. Brown is on the books for $6.5, Tatum for $7.8, and Smart for $12.5. If we sent out all three that would balance the salaries, but man that is a heck of a lot going out. If you want to take Tatum or Brown or Smart out of this deal, who goes in to even out the salaries? Having three max players and no midrange contracts complicates things more than we like to discuss - and it’s really a problem that (1) Gordon isn’t producing at max level (2) 34-37 year old Al next to Davis is worth a lot less than he is now.

That may be it. It’d be a few picks, though; rookie scale is at most $2-3 MM where we are likely to be picking. Assuming the Kings don’t fall apart and hit the lottery...

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
You wont walk away no matter who is on the table.. Tatum will not stop the AD deal if it comes to it.. Believe me Ainge will pounce on AD the moment there is an opportunity.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

That may be it. It’d be a few picks, though; rookie scale is at most $2-3 MM where we are likely to be picking. Assuming the Kings don’t fall apart and hit the lottery...

I mean I wouldn't mind giving up 3 of them lol. We likely will have 4 this year unless LAC miss the playoffs and/or MEM stumbles and falls into the Top-8 (since it's Top-8 protected). Try to keep 1 but give up 3 if needed in the deal.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I brought this up a while back, but I couldn't find the old thread.

Is the parallel for Anthony Davis more like Kevin Love or Kevin Garnett?

Because if Davis is more like Kevin Love, without the ultimate ability to lift a team's play, the Celtics should say no, just like the Warriors said no to Love a few years ago. They let Green, Thompson, and Barnes develop together and were rewarded with a championship. In that scenario, our Green-Thompson-Barnes would be Smart-Brown-Tatum-Williams.

If Davis is more like Kevin Garnett, then the Cs should absolutely trade for him.

I'm just not sure which he is. Why aren't his teams making the playoffs more often? I get that his team is bad, but no worse than many of Kevin Garnett's teams. He's putting up big numbers in a very explosive and fast-paced offense, but why can't he make Randle-Mirotic-Holliday into a playoff team?

If Davis is a true MVP player that can elevate his team into contention, then he is worth a king's ransom, but if he can't do that, is he worth it?

Honestly, I'm probably gonna have mixed feelings either way this shakes down. But I wonder more and more if Ainge should take a lesson from Jerry West and play the long game here.

Those first round picks can be value contracts, or you could trade them them for reliable role players, or you could trade them for more picks later.

Just wanted to bump this for more discussion, unless no one bites.

If he is more Kevin Love than Garnett, he is still worth an Andrew Wiggins-type prospect, a top pick, and a rotation player (ala Thaddeus Young in that trade).

For us, that would be Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris (if he resigned), and a couple of our firsts (unless the Kings take a step back).

If he is more Kevin Garnett, he is worth a Gerald Green (Brown), Gomes (Semi), Jefferson (Tatum?), Ratliff (salary filler) and a couple of our firsts.

I still keep coming back to the Warriors non-trade. At the time, everyone said it was a no-brainer that they should trade for Love and pair his dominate (since that time he has regressed) inside presence with Curry. Rumors at the time had it that the Warriors would not include Thompson, but might be willing to include Barnes and Bogut (Green was in the conversation too).

The Warriors held their ground, and their core developed into a super-team. Hindsight is 20/20, but everyone thought it was an obvious trade back then, just like they do now with Davis. 

I like Davis a lot. I think he is a better player than Love, but I'm not convinced he is a better player than Garnett. I see that his stats are better, but I'm worried some of those stats are inflated in a scheme that fits his production, but doesn't ultimately lead to wins. Garnett dominated opponents on both sides of the floor. At this point, Davis dominates as a scorer, but not as a facilitator (Garnett averaged 5-6 assists at his best). Davis is a good defender, but doesn't seem to dominate the paint like Garnett did. He gets a few blocks here or there, but he doesn't quarterback a defense that is scary for opponents.

I think Davis might get there, but I'm not sure he has the attitude to be as dominate on both sides of the court.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Because if Davis is more like Kevin Love, without the ultimate ability to lift a team's play, the Celtics should say no, just like the Warriors said no to Love a few years ago. They let Green, Thompson, and Barnes develop together and were rewarded with a championship. In that scenario, our Green-Thompson-Barnes would be Smart-Brown-Tatum-Williams.

If Davis is more like Kevin Garnett, then the Cs should absolutely trade for him.

I'm just not sure which he is. Why aren't his teams making the playoffs more often? I get that his team is bad, but no worse than many of Kevin Garnett's teams. He's putting up big numbers in a very explosive and fast-paced offense, but why can't he make Randle-Mirotic-Holliday into a playoff team?

If Davis is a true MVP player that can elevate his team into contention, then he is worth a king's ransom, but if he can't do that, is he worth it?

Honestly, I'm probably gonna have mixed feelings either way this shakes down. But I wonder more and more if Ainge should take a lesson from Jerry West and play the long game here.

Those first round picks can be value contracts, or you could trade them them for reliable role players, or you could trade them for more picks later.

If he is more Kevin Love than Garnett, he is still worth an Andrew Wiggins-type prospect, a top pick, and a rotation player (ala Thaddeus Young in that trade).

For us, that would be Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris (if he resigned), and a couple of our firsts (unless the Kings take a step back).

If he is more Kevin Garnett, he is worth a Gerald Green (Brown), Gomes (Semi), Jefferson (Tatum?), Ratliff (salary filler) and a couple of our firsts.

I still keep coming back to the Warriors non-trade. At the time, everyone said it was a no-brainer that they should trade for Love and pair his dominate (since that time he has regressed) inside presence with Curry. Rumors at the time had it that the Warriors would not include Thompson, but might be willing to include Barnes and Bogut (Green was in the conversation too).

The Warriors held their ground, and their core developed into a super-team. Hindsight is 20/20, but everyone thought it was an obvious trade back then, just like they do now with Davis. 

I like Davis a lot. I think he is a better player than Love, but I'm not convinced he is a better player than Garnett. I see that his stats are better, but I'm worried some of those stats are inflated in a scheme that fits his production, but doesn't ultimately lead to wins. Garnett dominated opponents on both sides of the floor. At this point, Davis dominates as a scorer, but not as a facilitator (Garnett averaged 5-6 assists at his best). Davis is a good defender, but doesn't seem to dominate the paint like Garnett did. He gets a few blocks here or there, but he doesn't quarterback a defense that is scary for opponents.

I think Davis might get there, but I'm not sure he has the attitude to be as dominate on both sides of the court.

I think Davis is a transcendent enough player that he's more on par with KG then he is with Kevin Love. I do also believe that acquiring Davis and pairing him with Kyrie puts us on par with the Warriors. Someone in this thread mentioned it would take a package of Smart/Brown/Tatum to match salaries. Sorry to say, but I do that in a heartbeat. Davis is already at the top of his game where Tatum and Brown have some ways to go. I fear he ends up on the Lakers instead, but if it were up to me, I'd make the deal in a heartbeat.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

I think Davis is a transcendent enough player that he's more on par with KG then he is with Kevin Love. I do also believe that acquiring Davis and pairing him with Kyrie puts us on par with the Warriors. Someone in this thread mentioned it would take a package of Smart/Brown/Tatum to match salaries. Sorry to say, but I do that in a heartbeat. Davis is already at the top of his game where Tatum and Brown have some ways to go. I fear he ends up on the Lakers instead, but if it were up to me, I'd make the deal in a heartbeat.

I am definitely interested, but I still want to know who we can surround them with. Davis plus Jrue Holiday plus Randle plus the rest of the Pels is a losing team. So bad Davis wants out. Kyrie is obviously significantly better than Holiday on offense, but he’s also significantly worse on defense. Without a supporting cast i don’t see a championship team. The Hayward contract is a problem unless he gets a lot better.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I would package Rozier for a bag of salty peanuts

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I would package Rozier for a bag of salty peanuts

The other team would probably counter with a bag of poop instead.