Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24535 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As much as I love Tatum, if he was in a position where a bad to mediocre coach just gave Jayson free reign as a #1 guy, I think Tatum would go full Carmelo.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
As much as I love Tatum, if he was in a position where a bad to mediocre coach just gave Jayson free reign as a #1 guy, I think Tatum would go full Carmelo.

100% agree.

He’s becoming an ISO guy who rather take a tough, contested shot (or his favorite: a step-back long two) than pass the ball.
CELTICS 2024

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

100% agree.

He’s becoming an ISO guy who rather take a tough, contested shot (or his favorite: a step-back long two) than pass the ball.
It's becoming super frustrating against good teams who make him pay for it (like today). His poor defence also hurts a lot
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I don’t know why this is debatable. Tatum is special but AD is a generational talent. On top of that, you already have guys who are likely to be at least 80% of Tatum’s eventual prime in eventual prime Brown and (when healthy) Hayward.

No big is near AD’s level on this team and very few in the whole league. There are better players than Tatum at his position
- LilRip

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I have no idea on Tatum anymore. At times he look unstoppable on offense, but then there are stretches he can't seem to beat even PF's to the rim and settle for long twos. He isn't drawing fouls like last year, he defense seems like 10% worse. I still think he's gonna be really good, but probably not the top 10 player many here hoped for.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Kyrie - LA
Davis - Boston
Lonzo, Ingram, Jaylen - NOLA
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kyrie - LA
Davis - Boston
Lonzo, Ingram, Jaylen - NOLA
Why would we help LA become an instant contender? The idea is to add AD to Kyrie
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
I came away with yesterday's game wondering...

Lets say we do what most suggest and trade Smart, Williams, Tatum (and bunch of picks) for AD.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis vs. Curry/Klay/Durant/Green/Cousins(?)

Bench of Morris OR Rozier, Baynes/Theis/Ojeyele/etc. vs. Livingston/Iguodala/Looney, etc.

I genuinely feel Warriors have no answer for AD (not Draymond, don't know if they can keep Cousins long term hence why I put the ?), and on paper our bench should be even with theirs (even if it wasn't last night). And I think if we do trade for AD and we're clearly going past the tax, then Ainge will try to bring back Rozier or Morris w/Bird Rights (likely the latter). And hey, maybe we can sign the other Morris w/some exception. Think we have a better chance of beating them?

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny wont give up Tatum

Rozier and Brown are easier options ...since both want to start/opportunity anyways.

If Pelicans become too greedy... I would walk

Rozier, Brown, 2018 2 1sts (highest) and if it came down to it Smart

It is a more flexible package incl players and picks vs Lakers. 

But if the Knicks obtain number 1 or 2 in the draft... and offer Zion and Kristap... then they might like that best

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I have no idea on Tatum anymore. At times he look unstoppable on offense, but then there are stretches he can't seem to beat even PF's to the rim and settle for long twos. He isn't drawing fouls like last year, he defense seems like 10% worse. I still think he's gonna be really good, but probably not the top 10 player many here hoped for.
I know I'll get flogged for this, but Tatum's defense seems rather "porous".  He couldn't stop Batum last night, and I've been him beat off the dribble many times.

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

I know I'll get flogged for this, but Tatum's defense seems rather "porous".  He couldn't stop Batum last night, and I've been him beat off the dribble many times.

Brown's all around game and ability to not need the ball to affect a game makes him a way better third banana to Irving/Davis.  And if we have to move Smart, gotta keep Brown for his wing defense.  I'm moving Tatum and fighting to keep Brown in a Davis deal. But thats just my two cents.

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'd rather Davis go to another team and the C's build around the young guys.  Davis is an amazing player but once a week he's going to the locker room in games and he gets hurt a lot.  Also, if we trade so much of the core we will contend for 4 years then another rebuild versus contending for 10 years with the young guys.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Brown's all around game and ability to not need the ball to affect a game makes him a way better third banana to Irving/Davis.  And if we have to move Smart, gotta keep Brown for his wing defense.  I'm moving Tatum and fighting to keep Brown in a Davis deal. But thats just my two cents.

Plus Brown can guard 1-4 and I don't know that Tatum could really be a team's starting SG. Tatum is still the better player but I do think Brown's versatility makes him an easier fit in terms of roster construction.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If I'm Danny, I'd offer all the picks, trade filler, plus, either (i) Tatum, or (ii) Smart and Brown. 

Frankly, I'd rather give up Tatum than give up both Smart and Brown.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
If I'm Danny, I'd offer all the picks, trade filler, plus, either (i) Tatum, or (ii) Smart and Brown. 

Frankly, I'd rather give up Tatum than give up both Smart and Brown.

That's where I am with this as well, although worst comes to worst if it was the line in the sand have to do it, I'd rather give up Tatum+Brown than Tatum+ Smart.

I think the post trade Celtics would need Smart and would have Hayward and Morris to offset the loss of Jaylen.