Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24515 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't realize this but the last year of AD's contract in 2020 is a player option, which he will likely decline. That means if Ainge deals for Davis next summer, he's only getting him for one season (unless Davis agrees to an extension which I don't think he will)

He also owns a house in LA and shares the same agent as Lebron. No way do I deal for Davis. Too much of a risk as it looks like he has LAKER written all over him.

I'd rather stick with the team we have and keep an eye open for other players. I know Ainge is on the hunt for transcendent players (Durant, Davis) but if the players either decide to go elsewhere or are unattainable, there's not much you can do.

Thibs fired and MIN seems to be going nowhere if we're being honest. It's wild, but could you see them turning their attention to KAT if he's ever made available? I wouldn't entirely rule it out although for now it's obviously unlikely. He did sign that massive extension recently though...
If Minny is being blown up, the only thing that you can be assured of is that Towns, at only 23, and being as good as he is, is going nowhere. He is the player they build around, not the player they move to try to get draft picks that could in 5 years turn out as good as Towns is now.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Didn't realize this but the last year of AD's contract in 2020 is a player option, which he will likely decline. That means if Ainge deals for Davis next summer, he's only getting him for one season (unless Davis agrees to an extension which I don't think he will)

He also owns a house in LA and shares the same agent as Lebron. No way do I deal for Davis. Too much of a risk as it looks like he has LAKER written all over him.

I'd rather stick with the team we have and keep an eye open for other players. I know Ainge is on the hunt for transcendent players (Durant, Davis) but if the players either decide to go elsewhere or are unattainable, there's not much you can do.

Thibs fired and MIN seems to be going nowhere if we're being honest. It's wild, but could you see them turning their attention to KAT if he's ever made available? I wouldn't entirely rule it out although for now it's obviously unlikely. He did sign that massive extension recently though...
If Minny is being blown up, the only thing that you can be assured of is that Towns, at only 23, and being as good as he is, is going nowhere. He is the player they build around, not the player they move to try to get draft picks that could in 5 years turn out as good as Towns is now.
Yeah.  The question is what can they get for Wiggins. 

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Which is increasingly looking like less and less
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tatum would trade Tatum for Davis:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jayson-tatum-talks-possibility-of-celtics-trading-for-anthony-davis-id-trade-me-too/
wouldn't Tatum have a financial incentive to be traded for a max superstar? It would equate his contract value with that of davis. Also any team trading for him is now likely to pay big bucks in the future for him

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Trading away Tatum would be the 2nd most devastating and sad trade behind Isaiah in the fashion and circumstances we traded him.

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Super late to this thread, but: Yeah, if you're getting good backchannel information from Davis via Irving (the big difference between this theoretical and last summer's Kawhi situation), you can make Tatum available. The question becomes what does New Orleans want/what's reasonable in addition to Tatum in any talks. Moving him is a big concession on the Celtics' part.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My sincere hope is that the Pelicans make the playoffs and AD elects to stay with them. They drafted him, and invested in his team. It would devastate the franchise if he requests a trade. Small market teams otherwise become farm system for the big market teams like the Lakers. Or us.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

They wish they could get a refund  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My sincere hope is that the Pelicans make the playoffs and AD elects to stay with them. They drafted him, and invested in his team. It would devastate the franchise if he requests a trade. Small market teams otherwise become farm system for the big market teams like the Lakers. Or us.

I would change it from "small market teams" to "poorly managed teams".

If Davis leaves, it won't be because New Orleans isn't a big enough market.  It will be because the Pelicans haven't been able to build a competent team around him and because ownership treats the Pelicans as an afterthought to the Saints, while having perhaps the worst coach / GM combo in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I would trade Tatum for Davis too.

Now I'm gonna wait for all those pitchforks to go after me. How dare I trade one of our best and young wing player for the best big man in the NBA.  ???

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would trade Tatum for Davis too.

Now I'm gonna wait for all those pitchforks to go after me. How dare I trade one of our best and young wing player for the best big man in the NBA.  ???
I think the only grounds for concern over moving Tatum is that AD could up and leave. Even so, it's almost impossible to make any other argument against the move. Tatum has a very small chance of ever being as good as AD is now, if any chance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

They wish they could get a refund  :P
So, trade Wiggins for Kevin Love?  Think about that for a minute....similar salaries and contracts...