Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24522 times)

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Games like yesterday are why I'm very hesitant to trade Tatum. At 20 years old, Tatum looks like a saavy veteran out there at times, and is continuing to improve. His game is smooth and he's also very quick during sequences (as Hubie Brown also pointed out in yesterday's broadcast). Not only is he capable of scoring and rebounding, but his defense has also started to take a step up this season, and we saw that especially late in the game yesterday when he was guarding Butler (a proven all-star). He's obviously got room to grow, but I don't think I'm crazy in thinking that Tatum has "future superstar & legitimate MVP candidate" written all over him.

I understand with the deteriorating trade value of the Kings Pick and Jaylen Brown that we probably have to trade Tatum (in the whole trade package) if we want to acquire AD. But I also think part of what makes this team click is how deep they are (full of depth) and trading Tatum and others (salary + another young guy like Williams maybe) for AD may hurt our depth as well.

Tatum has the potential ceiling to be a somewhat hybrid version of Durant + Pierce (elite two-way player with 20-25 PPG potential). He's actually been a huge boost for this team in the last season and a half (so far), including last season when all the injuries hit. This may be unfair to say about AD, but I also wonder why the Pelicans aren't doing well despite how great AD is. They are currently like 2nd worst in a very wide open Western Conference.

Do I want the Lakers to acquire AD? Hell no. BUT if they want to actually package Ingram, Kuzma AND 1 of Hart/Ball + another asset for him, they can go right ahead. Tatum should be untouchable. If Ainge can work around Tatum and find a creative trade for AD w/o needing to include him, then he'll do it, but otherwise I would honestly keep Tatum (a young, future superstar) and our depth (Smart/Rozier/Brown, Williams, etc.) and roll.

And yes, I'll admit too, if Tatum is traded my heart will ache lol (like the IT trade although we didn't really know how injured IT was at the time either).

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Let me put it this way, would you have traded Pierce for Tim Duncan early in their careers? Pierce won 1 title while Duncan won 5.

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Davis is top 3 player on the NBA..nuff said
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Is this a serious question?  No question at all.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Tatum would be gone, Ainge would dump all the chips on the table me thinks. The brow is what we want Tatum to become, a top 5 player. You take the guaranteed thing almost every time. Trading Tatum may allow the C's to keep more assets in the process as well.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We’re talking about a 25 year old superstar.  There is essentially no chance that Tatum ever becomes as good as Davis.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
only if is Tatum for AD straight up.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Games like yesterday are why I'm very hesitant to trade Tatum. At 20 years old, Tatum looks like a saavy veteran out there at times, and is continuing to improve.

Games like yesterday might be a reason that AD could be attainable.  I think a trade for AD with JT as the centerpiece is a no-brainer for Danny. 

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Could you imagine a Kyrie and AD pick in roll?

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Is this a serious question?  No question at all.

I agree it might sound dumb but you actually have folks in the fanbase (Reddit, Celticsblog, real life fans on the street) actually wondering this too and wondering if they'd be willing to do it.

only if is Tatum for AD straight up.

Yeah we wish LOL.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let me put it this way, if the package needs to include Smart, Williams and a bunch of picks on top of Tatum, then all three would be gone. It's an easy decision. A talent like Davis paired with Kyrie, Horford, Hayward and Brown with a coach like Stevens probably means multiple titles and multiple MVP awards for Davis. He most likely would be considered the best player in the league during that stretch.

So yeah, bye bye Jayson....hello Anthony.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Sorry friend but Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis could very well be the single most devastating pairing in NBA History. If we could manage to retain 4 or 5 of Hayward, Morris, Horford, Smart, Rozier, Jaylen, Baynes we would still possess a nasty rotation centered around 2 perfectly balanced MVP candidates.

You do whatever it takes to get Anthony Davis, there's no way to protect Tatum when your trading for a top 3-5 player. New Orleans will insist and they are justified to do so. I think the world of Tatum but AD and Kyrie is destiny.

Final thought, Tatum is extremely wholesome about his family life in St Louis. New Orleans is about half the distance to St Louis as Boston. It would be tough to leave this incredible situation but he might find that a team consisting of him Jrue Holiday, Niko Mirotic, Julius Randle and Robert Williams is a force to be reckoned with with the spotlight firmly fixed on him.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
I thought a lot of people here hated Tatum for working out with Kobe.

Now's your chance- ship him out for Anthony Davis!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yes, without a doubt. At the same age AD was putting up 21/10/3 as a 20 year old All-Star. Tatum will most likely never be as good as AD is now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If the price is just Tatum and throw-ins, you have to do it.

The problem for us (with lack of salary fillers) is we may have to give multiple assets beyond Tatum to make it work.

But make no mistake, Tatum would be the best player (potential-wise) NOP could realistically get for AD.
CELTICS 2024