Author Topic: Kevin Love  (Read 11840 times)

Re: Kevin Love
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Kevin Love's standing reach is almost identical (half an inch) to Joakim Noah, Drew Gooden, David Lee and Ronny Turiaf. All of those guys are able to compete. Only an inch shorter than Al Horford. The rest of his measurements (vertical and those running ones) rank pretty much in line with each of those players. Physically he can compete.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 03:16:51 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I don't know how much better love is in condition but during the mcdonalds high school all star game he was being blocked almost every single time he tried to score on the post. He has zilch vertical . He looks good to be a footbal player but i don't know about a basketball player

at 6'7 without shoes that is going to hurt him.

honestly if he was at least 6'9 without shoes he could crack the top 10 picks.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I agree with who. Love is a little bit undersized, but that won't kill him in the NBA. And height is a way overrated measure. It helps with the court vision, but players don't defend, rebound or shoot with the tops of their heads. Love also had displayed good athleticism in the pre-draft camp.

Besides the tournament, I only watch college games in which mock drafts top prospects are playing that are available via streaming, so my sample is somehow small, but besides Beasley, Love is the player with the best post game in the draft and it's not that close. Funny player to watch, very smart and skillful. He's not going to be a superstar, but I can see a solid and productive career for him, barring injuries and conditioning problems.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't know how much better love is in condition but during the mcdonalds high school all star game he was being blocked almost every single time he tried to score on the post. He has zilch vertical . He looks good to be a footbal player but i don't know about a basketball player

at 6'7 without shoes that is going to hurt him.

honestly if he was at least 6'9 without shoes he could crack the top 10 picks.

Being Blocked almost every time?  He shot 6-10 in the mcdonalds game.  He ended up with 13 pts and 6 boards which looks pretty solid to me.  He showed in the camps that he had the athleticism to play in the league, thats what the big question was.  Everyone knew he had the skills.  Plus, most 6'9 guys in the league, those measurements are with their shoes.  Most of them actually are 6'7 and change.
do it

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't like love enough to draft him top 20. After that if he was there for the celts to pick, sure mite

Look at for example adam morrison. Suppose to be like larry bird in the nba. Same with jj reddick, suppose to be like the  next ray allen.

Both players can't do their thing cuz they aren't athletic nor quick enough to seperate themselves from more athletic and quick players to get their shot off

Translation: "Love will suck cause he is white.  White people suck at basketball (except Larry Bird)"

READ MY POST UP TOP.  Love has NBA athleticism.  He will be a top 5 pick.  Hoopshype compares him to David West (illegal I know to compare a white and black player) and I think that is waaaaaay more accurate than a Brad Miller.  Kid's got post moves.  Plus lineage with the Beach Boys.  Attitudes like that are killing the "white athlete".  Let's look objectively at a player for once.

Got a TP for that one my man, cuz as I was reading all the posts before yours I was thinking the exact same thing.  It comes off as if some people think Love is unathletic and won't be a good pro only because of his skin color, whereas Beasley (and Noah, and Gooden, and. Turiaf as Who mentioned) have very similar physical and athletic attributes.  I like the illegal black/white comparison too, seems true, especially when the poster you quote can only mention guys like Morrison and Reddick as comparisons to Love, even though they all play different positions and have different games.  Lafrentz and Miller?  A player could do alot worse.  Lafrentz was very good before injuries (as Fan from VT pointed out), and I really think for a few years there Miller was the third best center in the NBA behind Shaq and Yao.

And the Celticsblog rules state: Disparaging comments made in relation to another’s race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual preference are not permitted.  The use of slurs and similar language related to such categories will result in an immediate suspension and/or ban.  It is neither necessary nor appropriate to reference a player's race when commenting on that player's play or role. I feel some posters think Love can't play and is unathletic, and I feel they subconsciously think this because of Love's lack of melanin, whereas if Love had a darker complexion they wouldn't think this.  No one made a direct disparaging comment in regards to Love's ethnicity, it's just that some posters think other posters have a negative few of Love that is based on his skin color.  We may be walking a fine line here, and I'm sure a mod we'll be along sooner or later to let us know if we cross it.  :)  Now I don't think every poster who doesn't like Love or think Love will be good/great is saying this because of his ethnicity, I think there are many very credible assesments here, like from rondohondo and Big Ticket, where their Love projections have a very good chance of being accurate and have nothing to do with his race, just his game.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I had some concerns about Love after the season, but after seeing what he did in Orlando, I feel pretty confident that he is big enough and athletic enough to be a very good PF in the league.  I think he is in the same boat as Scalabrine in the way his body type will always make him look less athletic than he actually is.

I don't think he is going to be a superstar or anything, but I expect him to be a borderline all-star and a guy who really helps his team.  I just hope he ends up going to the right team.  I would love to see Seattle take him, and run a real up-tempo game.

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I had some concerns about Love after the season, but after seeing what he did in Orlando, I feel pretty confident that he is big enough and athletic enough to be a very good PF in the league.  I think he is in the same boat as Scalabrine in the way his body type will always make him look less athletic than he actually is.

I don't think he is going to be a superstar or anything, but I expect him to be a borderline all-star and a guy who really helps his team.  I just hope he ends up going to the right team.  I would love to see Seattle take him, and run a real up-tempo game.
Seattle would be a lovely fit for Kevin Love. I'm having fun just thinking about that one. Love, Green and Durant being a big 2-3-4 or else small ball and really push it. The pick and pop/roll action between Durant and Love or Love and Green or Green and Durant. So many options. The rebounding he brings to the table. The passing. Love would do a great job starting that fastbreak they're trying to get off the ground. Love would give them a solid post game too. His shooting ability would also make it easy to post up Durant in the post while stopping a big man from doubling down. Very nice fit.

Seattle will take Bayless. They should trade Jeff Green and change for another pick and take Love. He's a much better fit for Durant. The take Robin Lopez/Kofous later in the draft. That would be a very nice days work. C'mon Sam Presti, you have talent make it happen.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
White, black, spotted; doesn't matter I could never cheer for Kevin love.

Simply put, h's related to a member of the Beach Boys - my narrow mindedness can not over look that fact.

Signed,
A true music snob
 :)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He's a taller, slower, but much stronger version of Luke Walton.  He'll probably be just as solid a role player as Walton is.  He'd be dangerous in the offense Walton is playing in with his ability to move the ball around.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
He's a taller, slower, but much stronger version of Luke Walton.  He'll probably be just as solid a role player as Walton is.  He'd be dangerous in the offense Walton is playing in with his ability to move the ball around.
Luke Walton played 4 full seasons in college and averaged 11 and 6 as a senior. Kevin Love as a freshman put up 18 and 11 while being the second most productive player in the nation. Completely different skill levels and different style of games. Walton was a combo forward while Love is legit big man when coming out of college.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Please do your homework...

If Love is "unathletic" then why is Beasley (who is equal to Love in ALL of the following categories) a good pick.  on paper they seem of equal athelticism.  Maybe your "eyes" are seeing something mine aren't
If you think Love is as athletic as Beasley then it's you who need to do your homework. Or maybe get your eyes checked. Work out stats mean very little. 

I am not saying Love is a bad athlete. But we've seen many college stars never make it in the pros because they couldn't step up in a higher level of play. I've seen Love get winded and have trouble running up the floor in the NCAA tournament. Now he supposedly has been shedding weight and getting in better shape. But there are still questions about his athleticism and size. Whether people what to hear them or not.

I am not one of those people who believe Love will be a bust and can't play in the NBA. There are plenty of fans out there that feel that way. Love always reminded me of a less athletic and less talented Chris Webber. That should still make him a good NBA player. The question is how good.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Please do your homework...

If Love is "unathletic" then why is Beasley (who is equal to Love in ALL of the following categories) a good pick.  on paper they seem of equal athelticism.  Maybe your "eyes" are seeing something mine aren't
If you think Love is as athletic as Beasley then it's you who need to do your homework. Or maybe get your eyes checked. Work out stats mean very little. 

I am not saying Love is a bad athlete. But we've seen many college stars never make it in the pros because they couldn't step up in a higher level of play. I've seen Love get winded and have trouble running up the floor in the NCAA tournament. Now he supposedly has been shedding weight and getting in better shape. But there are still questions about his athleticism and size. Whether people what to hear them or not.

I am not one of those people who believe Love will be a bust and can't play in the NBA. There are plenty of fans out there that feel that way. Love always reminded me of a less athletic and less talented Chris Webber. That should still make him a good NBA player. The question is how good.

You're right, he is not Beasley.  But he is athletic.  He showed to have much more explosion than was originally thought with a good vert (probably has something to do with his work since the season ended), and most importantly, he put up one of the best times of all the big men in the lane agility drill.  Lane agility and lateral quickness are the most important things to playing defense, and defense is the biggest question with Love.

I do think you are also undervaluing his skill though.  He is the BEST (and that is not an exageration) passing big man to come out in years...possibly since Bill Walton.  He also has excellent footwork, very good touch, and incredibly high basketball IQ. 

His lack of ideal size and explosive athleticism will likely stop him from being a superstar, however, with the average size and athleticism that he showed to have, it will not keep him from letting his skills push him to be an excellent NBA player.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Though he is not very athletic, he has a great post game. Sounds like Kevin McHale, Zach Randolph, or Chris Kaman to me.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think Love's jump shot is going to be what makes him as an NBA player. He's a big strong lad who sets tough screens too so he's going to be murder to defend on high screen and rolls just like David West is. Then add his passing which makes him so capable of punishing a defense that offers help on that screen and roll. Whew ....

Then you add the post game, the the rebounding, the passing, the intelligence. Kevin Love is going to be a very good player in the NBA.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't like love enough to draft him top 20. After that if he was there for the celts to pick, sure mite

Look at for example adam morrison. Suppose to be like larry bird in the nba. Same with jj reddick, suppose to be like the  next ray allen.

Both players can't do their thing cuz they aren't athletic nor quick enough to seperate themselves from more athletic and quick players to get their shot off

Translation: "Love will suck cause he is white.  White people suck at basketball (except Larry Bird)"

READ MY POST UP TOP.  Love has NBA athleticism.  He will be a top 5 pick.  Hoopshype compares him to David West (illegal I know to compare a white and black player) and I think that is waaaaaay more accurate than a Brad Miller.  Kid's got post moves.  Plus lineage with the Beach Boys.  Attitudes like that are killing the "white athlete".  Let's look objectively at a player for once.

Sorry, but any discussions involving race are not allowed ... it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the CelticsBlog rules again. Just a friendly reminder ... please try to stay away from race, religion, and politics ... thanks.  :)
The problem is the post he was replying to was clearly race influenced. the previous poster tried to use 2 white players with completely different playing styles to love and claim that their fates would he his.

It is hard to not have an explicit response to an implicit race argument. There probably should have been a warning reply to the earlier poster that they might be, hopefully subconsciously, making an argument from skin color.