Author Topic: Beasley is 6'-7", Rose is 6'-1"  (Read 3748 times)

Beasley is 6'-7", Rose is 6'-1"
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The Miami Herald reported this
http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/557209.html
This changes my perception of both of these guys.  This probably makes it more likely that Chi will take Rose.  I guess this all bugs me that they can't simply hold people accountable to state the accurate height.  Your weight can change so OK, maybe someone's list weight can be off but people don't shrink.

Even at 6'-7" though, I still think Beasley is going to be great.

The whole list is also available on nbadraft.net:

http://nbadraft.net/2008nbapredraftcamp006.asp
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:00:05 PM by Vermont Green »

Re: Beasley is 6'-7", Rose is 6'-1"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It's kind of semantics.  No one goes by their height without shoes.  They really are basically 6'2" and 6'8"...although thats still smaller than expected.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Beasley really reminded me of a left-handed Paul Pierce that was slightly better on the boards.  At 6'10", that type of talent may have had HoF potential.  At 6'7" as a PF, I don't think he's big enough.  He'll still be one of the better PF's in the league in a few years, I'm sure, but I don't think he'll be the force of nature that he was hyped up to be.

It matters less for Rose.  Being short as a PG is less of a disadvantage - you're already the smallest player on the floor, and part of your game is learning ways to get around that.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Basketball players don't rebound, defend or shoot with the top of their heads. Height is really a very overrated measure.

Standing reach is much more important. If you check Bealeys's standing reach, 9-11, you'll see that it's comparable to those of a lot of big men in the league: one inch shorter than Stoudemire or Tyrus Thomas; 1/2 inch taller than Noah and exactly the same reach of Horford, who both play center. And he can jump, he's quick and has strenght.

Rose (measured 6' 2.5" with shoes, so he'll be listed as a 6'3" in the league) is as tall or taller than any other elite pg in the league not called Jason Kidd or Billups, very athletic and with a good wingspan, so I can't see these measures affecting his stock.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I found a listing of some other specs on past top prospects.

KG was listed as 6'11" barefoot.  I'm guessing this is why he feels justified arguing that he is 6'11", when he constantly appears 1-2 inches taller than most 6'11"-7' players.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.