Poll

What Position Should We Focus on in the Draft?!

Center
21 (52.5%)
Forward
2 (5%)
Power Forward
2 (5%)
Guard
13 (32.5%)
Point Guard
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Who Should We Draft?!  (Read 10416 times)

Re: Who Should We Draft?!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well if we DO package stuff and move up to the lottery (Which I do doubt) I'd target Eric Gordon, Russell Westbrook, or DeAndre Jordan.

If we stay at thirty...

1. Nicolas Batum (seems to be slipping, doubt he slips this far, though)
2. Bradon Rush
3. Donte Greene (also seems to be slipping, again though doubt he'll be there)
4. Bill Walker
5. Serge Ibaka
6. Nikola Pekovic (I don't know A LOT about this kid, but reading some of his bios he does sound pretty interesting, maybe it's just because DE.com said his best case scenario was Al Jefferson and that made me wanna have a joygasm)
7. Mario Chalmers
8. DaVon Jefferson
9. Kosta Kufos (Doubt he's there...)
10. Nathan Jawai
11. Joey Dorsey
12. Chris Douglas-Roberts
13. Ty Lawson
14. Semih Erden
15. Alexis Ajinca (Watched him for a lonnnnggg time... and I still like him)

Yea, I tend to watch a lot of college and international basketball. The draft is probably my favorite time of the year, and I don't think we could go wrong with ANY of the names listed above.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »

Offline supamike46

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Of all the current pro prospects that played in college last year who the Celts have a legitimate chance of drafting, the one I would most like to see them get is Mario Chalmers, the point guard for Kansas.  The guy obviously has leadership ability, but also the ballhandling, defense and decision-making to provide an awesome boost of the Celts bench and lead the second unit his rookie year.  And hopefully push Rondo to the next level of his game.  Additionally, a friend of mine used to play with and against Chalmers in high school up there in Alaska and says he is a very nice and friendly guy by all accounts.

We've seen in the postseason how important a backup point guard is, and this guy could easily develop into a solid pro.  I know a lot of people would go for size, and its hard to argue that, given the undersized power forwards that currently hold down the post off the bench, but a full court press with a backcourt of Chalmers and Rondo would cause havoc for almost any team in the league.

The one person I do not want to see in Celtic green next year is Brandon Rush.  I think he is going to be another Tony Allen, with maybe a tad more talent.  I know there are a lot of TA supporters on this board, but I personally am not one of them.  I think that Rush makes many of the same poor basketball decisions that TA does.  If they look for a sg/sf type I would much prefer somebody like Chris Douglas Roberts.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 06:21:02 AM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
I think we should really target Bill Walker, he could step right into the James Posey role once Posey leaves and he has all this physical tools to be a serious perimeter defender. He's got a rocksolid body, good jumpshot, and can jump out of the gym, or atleast he could pre-knee surgery.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
My top 5 for the Celtics is:
1. Bill Walker
2. Mario Chalmers
3. Chris Douglas Roberts
4. Gary Forbes
5. Brandon Rush

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I really want Joey Dorsey... I think he could be similar to Maxiell or, to a lesser extent, Ben Wallace (Detroit years) with his energy and rebounding off the bench very early on in his career.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I really want Joey Dorsey... I think he could be similar to Maxiell or, to a lesser extent, Ben Wallace (Detroit years) with his energy and rebounding off the bench very early on in his career.

I am not a fan of Dorsey at all.  He gives absolutely nothing offensively (much less than even Perk, and nothing like Maxiell), and he doesn't seem to have a very high BBIQ.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I find the following four players very interesting (at #30):

Brandon Rush
Bill Walker
Chris Douglas Roberts
DeVon Hardin

More or less in that order.  I think the first three could contribute right away.

For the #60 spot, someone who I think could be interesting is Drew Neitzel (I know, I know, great college player, will be a terrible pro, right?)

I like Neitzel as well.  He may not even be drafted, and could be an invite to summerleague.  He reminds me a bit of Steve Blake with his leadership abilities.

Small point, but apparently we're not participating in summer league this year.

Wow, that seems odd.  Too bad for us Cs fans, because it is such a great chance to see the youngsters play.
It costs 250k to play in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Not much point when the team isn't likely to have anyone there who'll be a rotation player next year.

Colangelo did the same thing last year and still came away with Jamario Moon. Just invite that player to training camp instead.

Or do like Kevin Pritchard did and send development coaches to go with your players for part of the summer to get them working on what they're meant to be working on.

Very little to be gained from Summer League for a contending team. Look at Dallas. Look at how much effort they've put in over the past few years and how little it's payed off? Ditto for San Antonio. Summer League is worth even less when you don't have High School kids knocking about.

Who and Hobbs, thanks for the info.

I agree Summer League makes very little sense for the Celtics this summer, but it goes a long way towards entertaining me in the middle of the summer.... I would love to see Pruitt a bit more (didn't catch any of the NBADL games this year).  July, August, September -- I sort of go through a basketball withdrawal of sorts.  No games on TV, no draft prospects to read up on; the occasional FA signing is about as interesting as it gets.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
1). Hibbert (if he slips that far, which he won't)
2). Jason Thompson (if he slips, which he could)
3). Devon Hardin (hey, he's not an offensive player, but he could spell Perk)
4). Marreese Speights (looks like he's rising not falling...)
5). Javale McGee Offensive minded big man in need of development (Clifford Ray gets a raise).

At 60:

Sasha Kaun all the way.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Well if we DO package stuff and move up to the lottery (Which I do doubt) I'd target Eric Gordon, Russell Westbrook, or DeAndre Jordan.

If we stay at thirty...

1. Nicolas Batum (seems to be slipping, doubt he slips this far, though)
2. Bradon Rush
3. Donte Greene (also seems to be slipping, again though doubt he'll be there)
4. Bill Walker
5. Serge Ibaka
6. Nikola Pekovic (I don't know A LOT about this kid, but reading some of his bios he does sound pretty interesting, maybe it's just because DE.com said his best case scenario was Al Jefferson and that made me wanna have a joygasm)
7. Mario Chalmers
8. DaVon Jefferson
9. Kosta Kufos (Doubt he's there...)
10. Nathan Jawai
11. Joey Dorsey
12. Chris Douglas-Roberts
13. Ty Lawson
14. Semih Erden
15. Alexis Ajinca (Watched him for a lonnnnggg time... and I still like him)

Yea, I tend to watch a lot of college and international basketball. The draft is probably my favorite time of the year, and I don't think we could go wrong with ANY of the names listed above.

Nice coincidence, I've just written something about Pekovic in another thread: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=15810.msg294553#msg294553
I don't like the Al Jefferson comparison: they play in the low post and have highly-productive offensive game, but Pekovic is very physical with no finesse. He's the typical back-to-the-basket, bang and find a way to score center, with no fancy moves or high-post game. And of course, it's hard to believe he can become such a good NBA player as Big Al is.

I guess I'd like Batum (though I was very underwhelmed by every recent perfomance I've watched of him, but I suppose I was unlucky), but I want no piece of Ajinca and especially Ibaka, unless we go for a draft'n'stash (in that case, I'm all for Ajinca). Pekovic has singlehandedly turned his team in one of the bests in Europe and was the best big man in the Euroleague; those guys are not playing near this level and I suspect they won't any time soon.

Re: Who Should We Draft?! Roy HIbbert
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think it would be worth packaging this and next year's #1 picks for a potential center in Roy Hibbert.
The mocks show Hibbert going to Utah in the low 20's.

I was hoping the Celtics could have gotten Hibbert last year with the #5 if he did not go back to school.

Hopefully, KG could light a fire under him.
Hibbert to be better than Perkins. Played well against Oden.

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think it would be worth packaging this and next year's #1 picks for a potential center in Roy Hibbert.
The mocks show Hibbert going to Utah in the low 20's.

I was hoping the Celtics could have gotten Hibbert last year with the #5 if he did not go back to school.

Hopefully, KG could light a fire under him.
Hibbert to be better than Perkins. Played well against Oden.

Are you Hibbert's agent or something?  ;)

Answering the original question: CDR, Rush or Batum if one of them falls. I have no clear preference if they don't.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
(...)

Answering the original question: CDR, Rush or Batum if one of them falls. I have no clear preference if they don't.

With so many wingers withdrawing: I have no clear preference. Those 3 guys won't fall to us.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »

Offline gonzo1

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
i think it is pretty obvious from the Cleveland series and the LA game 5 that we need to get bigger up front.  We have essentially 4 guys Powe,Davis, Scals and sometimes Posey playing the 4 and they are all undersize.  Two of the four must go and in return we need to get someone that is 6'10" or better along with a draft pick. the minutes are limited here so we don't need an allstar someone that can give 10-12 quality minutes.  we made Joe Smith and Var whatever his name in look like rebounding Gods, not to mention what Gasol and Odom did in game 5 24 rebounds