Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76828 times)

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Cowherd just said Boston was his guess for Walker also.

« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm gonna be honest, I think there is a functionally zero percent chance Kemba comes here. If he want the most money, he goes to Charlotte. If he wants to go home or be the guy maybe the Knicks. If he wants a title or yo be part of history the Lakers. If he wants to join an up and comer he can go to Dallas.

The argument for Boston is they have young talent, and he is a good fit. But he be joining a team that got stomped in the second round WITH Horford. I just dont see why he'd choose Boston, I get why he would listen but I can't see it.

Now of course I'm not Kemba Walker, so who knows. But I think this is one if those things where ya, Boston is interested. But its gonna be the classic "Boston was soooooo close."

Not true

Pasting from hwangini1

and for those of you who like to pay attention to dreams, hopes, and fantasies...

Current Kemba Walker destination likelihood order, per league source: 1. Boston 2. Charlotte 3. Dallas (definitely in the mix, with Lakers) Somewhere down the line: New York
--Brad Towsend, Dallas Morning News

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1143944349849460737

but sometimes dreams become real.  ;D

« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2019, 03:00:37 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'm gonna be honest, I think there is a functionally zero percent chance Kemba comes here. If he want the most money, he goes to Charlotte. If he wants to go home or be the guy maybe the Knicks. If he wants a title or yo be part of history the Lakers. If he wants to join an up and comer he can go to Dallas.

The argument for Boston is they have young talent, and he is a good fit. But he be joining a team that got stomped in the second round WITH Horford. I just dont see why he'd choose Boston, I get why he would listen but I can't see it.

Now of course I'm not Kemba Walker, so who knows. But I think this is one if those things where ya, Boston is interested. But its gonna be the classic "Boston was soooooo close."

Not true

Pasting from hwangini1

and for those of you who like to pay attention to dreams, hopes, and fantasies...

Current Kemba Walker destination likelihood order, per league source: 1. Boston 2. Charlotte 3. Dallas (definitely in the mix, with Lakers) Somewhere down the line: New York

Question for you cap gurus.  If the C's end up getting Kemba would they be able to do a sign and trade of Rozier for Kemba?  Would there be any cap benefit to do this?  If we signed Walker outright it would take up all of our cap space and we'd have to renounce Rozier.  If Charlotte wanted to do a deal and replace Kemba with Rozier what would be the benefits of doing that?

« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Not true

Pasting from hwangini1

Question for you cap gurus.  If the C's end up getting Kemba would they be able to do a sign and trade of Rozier for Kemba?  Would there be any cap benefit to do this?  If we signed Walker outright it would take up all of our cap space and we'd have to renounce Rozier.  If Charlotte wanted to do a deal and replace Kemba with Rozier what would be the benefits of doing that?

Not feasible...

S&T only counts for half of the outgoing salary. Rozier signed to like $14 million, would only amount to $7 mil.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2019, 03:07:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Not true

Pasting from hwangini1

This would be sort of possible, but would almost certainly involve a S&T with another Celtics free agent in order to match salaries.  Here’s an example I proposed involving Rozier to Charlotte and also utilizing a Kyrie S&T:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=100640.msg2696537#new

« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Not true

Pasting from hwangini1

Not feasible...

S&T only counts for half of the outgoing salary. Rozier signed to like $14 million, would only amount to $7 mil.
We can simultaneously sign and trade Rozier and Kemba .. we wI’ll use our capspace to make $$ work. However it hard caps both Celtics and Charlotte so not really beneficial unless Charlotte really want Rozier and he would make hornets not offer full 5 yr max which the Celtics can’t offer...

« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Not true

Pasting from hwangini1

Hey man there's a chance, there is a lot of smoke. But we've seen this before. I'm sorry, a league source doesnt mean anything to me. It could be a water boy, it could be Dany Ainge leaking it to make it look like hes trying. It could be Kemba Walker putting pressure on Charlotte to offer a big number. My point stands.

« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Getting Kemba means that Terry has to go. That is just music to my ears.

« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With Indy taking another center prospect, you have to wonder if Sabonis or Turner is on the trading block. Turner looked awful in the series against us in the playoffs. He has kinda consistently underperformed in the playoffs for them.

Could Ainge look to move Smart and Yabu for Turner after getting Kemba to sign?

« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
With Indy taking another center prospect, you have to wonder if Sabonis or Turner is on the trading block. Turner looked awful in the series against us in the playoffs. He has kinda consistently underperformed in the playoffs for them.

Id rather have Sabonis

« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Would be a nice move. Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Turner would be a formidable starting 5. Bench would be young but talented.

« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Id rather have Sabonis
So would I and probably so would the Pacers and Celtics. That's probably the reason in trading Turner and going with Bitadze and Sabonis, because everyone sees Sabonis is a better player than Turner.

Celtics would be trading an elite smaller defender that finally showed he can hit threes at an good rate for a very good big defender who has shown he can hit a three at a good rate.

I think it's a pretty fair trade. Gives Indy a tremendous pairing with Dipo in the backcourt while they move Sabonis to the starting role and Bitadze to the bench big role. Meanwhile, Boston gets the rim protecting big they covet that can also stretch the floor. Win win.

« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2019, 04:47:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Id rather have Sabonis
So would I and probably so would the Pacers and Celtics. That's probably the reason in trading Turner and going with Bitadze and Sabonis, because everyone sees Sabonis is a better player than Turner.

Celtics would be trading an elite smaller defender that finally showed he can hit threes at an good rate for a very good big defender who has shown he can hit a three at a good rate.

I think it's a pretty fair trade. Gives Indy a tremendous pairing with Dipo in the backcourt while they move Sabonis to the starting role and Bitadze to the bench big role. Meanwhile, Boston gets the rim protecting big they covet that can also stretch the floor. Win win.

I've brought up Turner in other threads - I would love to have him on the Cs, even at the expense of Smart. When I saw Indy take Bitadze, I immediately assumed Indy would be looking to move one of their bigs. He is making $18m/yr for the next four years so that is fairly reasonable for a player of his caliber and position. I imagine he still has some room to grow, as well.

I have to imagine Indy would love a player like Smart playing next to Oladipo, too. It really does seem like a win-win for everybody - even if we have to give up an impact player like Smart.

Edit: The Pacers would also probably consider a Brown for Sabonis swap, but I don't think we want to go down that road. This might make a good poll question: Brown for Sabonis or Smart for Turner?

« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
According to indy fans they would rather turner at pf and sabonis as the 3rd big.

« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
According to indy fans they would rather turner at pf and sabonis as the 3rd big.
Well then it's a good thing Indy fans don't make Pacer franchise decisions.