Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76831 times)

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's interesting that Ainge is "linked" to walker discussions.

If Ainge wants him, I take it seriously.

Anyway, I am still grumpy after a season with a volume shooting point guard. I suppose, because it didn't work at all.  With Walker it might work really well and thus, I remain on the fence. Have to be happy get him as NBA teams need points.

Interested that Ainge, an Auerbach disciple, would again, go spend a ton of money on a point guard. I saw the reason for taking Irving from the Cavs and accepting the risk.

Wondering about front court and lack of same. In the playoffs, point guards can and do get shut down. This year's playoffs showed us a few examples of this phenomena.

I'll pass on Walker for now, but, Ainge doesn't return my texts and how could a Celtic fan not be happy to get a great scorer.
He traded for KI and kept him for the last 2 years of his contract at around $21M per.  That is not a lot of money compared to committing $140M to Kemba Walker.  What was the last multi-year deal that Ainge gave to a superstar?  Honest question, just don't recall him doing it much.

« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Danny is not just going to add Kemba and no frontline guy. He will get them both somehow.

Exactly, which I why I'm in favor of signing Kemba.  Ainge wont make the signing without a solid plan for the front court.

So who can we get if we sign Kemba?  There are also rumors that we are looking to trade for Steve Adams, so could we do that without giving up much?  Supposedly OKC is looking for a salary dump and ownership has said they would be willing to go over the cap and pay the tax.

I'm thinking if we could we'd look something like:

PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jason Tatum
PF: Grant Williams  (given all the hype hes been getting on this board maybe he should start)
C: Steve Adams

Bench

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Romeo Langford
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Robert Williams
C: Vincent Poirier (French Euro league Big we've been linked to)

Back end of the bench towel swingers

Carson Edwards
Tacko Fall
Aaron Harrison

I think Smart starts, no question. The Draymond Green type intangibles need to be on the floor at all times. He’s too valuable, and even more so if you have an offensive firepower next to him like Walker.

I truly believe that Brown is on the chopping block.  Too much of a logjam at that position and they know full well that the front court needs more talent.

I think Ainge gets someone who isn’t even being talked about on this board. Who will it be ? It’s wide open. Who knows.

there are only a couple of centers in the league that allow for a SF to be fulltime PF.

Adams is one.

so you would look at

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Adams

bench of
Edwards
Langford
Hayward
Williams
Williams

Silky, that team looks very nice. TP. I'd love it if this is where we land.
It's also impossible to happen since the team doesn't have enough cap space to absorb Adams and sign Kemba. It's either one or the other with the cap space the team has...not both.

« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm gonna be honest, I think there is a functionally zero percent chance Kemba comes here. If he want the most money, he goes to Charlotte. If he wants to go home or be the guy maybe the Knicks. If he wants a title or yo be part of history the Lakers. If he wants to join an up and comer he can go to Dallas.

The argument for Boston is they have young talent, and he is a good fit. But he be joining a team that got stomped in the second round WITH Horford. I just dont see why he'd choose Boston, I get why he would listen but I can't see it.

Now of course I'm not Kemba Walker, so who knows. But I think this is one if those things where ya, Boston is interested. But its gonna be the classic "Boston was soooooo close."
For all we know he may have spent some time in Boston while at UConn and fell in love with the city. Anything is possible when dealing in free agency. Who knows why players decide to go where they do. I am not sure Walker would be entering into a situation in Boston that is any better or worse than the situation Horford or Hayward walked into when they signed here.

« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Maybe Malcolm Brogdon is the better, cheaper fit. 

I think the Hornets give Kemba the Supermax.

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Maybe Malcolm Brogdon is the better, cheaper fit. 

I think the Hornets give Kemba the Supermax.
I'd sign Brogdon to an offer sheet, 100 for 4, and see what Bucks do. If they don't match we get an upgrade on TRoz.
If they match they are financially wrecked.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Danny is not just going to add Kemba and no frontline guy. He will get them both somehow.

Exactly, which I why I'm in favor of signing Kemba.  Ainge wont make the signing without a solid plan for the front court.

So who can we get if we sign Kemba?  There are also rumors that we are looking to trade for Steve Adams, so could we do that without giving up much?  Supposedly OKC is looking for a salary dump and ownership has said they would be willing to go over the cap and pay the tax.

I'm thinking if we could we'd look something like:

PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jason Tatum
PF: Grant Williams  (given all the hype hes been getting on this board maybe he should start)
C: Steve Adams

Bench

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Romeo Langford
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Robert Williams
C: Vincent Poirier (French Euro league Big we've been linked to)

Back end of the bench towel swingers

Carson Edwards
Tacko Fall
Aaron Harrison

I think Smart starts, no question. The Draymond Green type intangibles need to be on the floor at all times. He’s too valuable, and even more so if you have an offensive firepower next to him like Walker.

I truly believe that Brown is on the chopping block.  Too much of a logjam at that position and they know full well that the front court needs more talent.

I think Ainge gets someone who isn’t even being talked about on this board. Who will it be ? It’s wide open. Who knows.

there are only a couple of centers in the league that allow for a SF to be fulltime PF.

Adams is one.

so you would look at

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Adams

bench of
Edwards
Langford
Hayward
Williams
Williams

Silky, that team looks very nice. TP. I'd love it if this is where we land.
It's also impossible to happen since the team doesn't have enough cap space to absorb Adams and sign Kemba. It's either one or the other with the cap space the team has...not both.

You're crushing his dreams, Nick.

« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2019, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we sign Kemba then I hope we end up trading Brown for a legit big like a Capella or Adams or Drummond or something who can cover up Tatum’s weak rebounding. Do we still have MLE if we have cap space? I haven’t checked any salaries but assuming it’s someone like Adams, then we’d have

Kemba-Smart-Hayward-Tatum-Adams

That’s a fairly strong team imo. We have one star prospect in Tatum instead of 2 so we know the future of our franchise. We have current stars both mature enough to sacrifice in Walker and Hayward. And we have amazing, nitty gritty role players that every contender needs in Smart and Adams.

No, only teams over the cap get the full MLE. I have complained about this many times in the past - it makes no sense that teams who have managed their salary responsibly only get the room exception, while teams above the cap (but below the tax) get about twice as much with the MLE. They also get the BAE.

BUT, Saltlover (thanks for returning SL!) had this to say yesterday which could offer us more signing options:
Without regard to a specific trade, if the Celtics were able to work out a S&T with Horford’s new team, they could use his new salary in a 3-way trade in which they acquired Walker.  This would allow them to use the MLE and BAE instead of the room exception, as well as preserve Bird rights to Rozier and Morris.  If it took a second rounder going to each of those teams, it could be worth it in terms of getting starter-level taken at the 4 and/or 5 via those exceptions..

If Ainge chose this route, this would literally change everything in regards to our roster construction moving forward.

« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Is anyone on here terrified by the possibility of Kemba joing the Sixers ?
In theory they can go with :
embiid , Simmons , Kemba , Butler , Thybulle and MLE player
Or
Embiid , Simmons, Kemba , Harris , redick, plus rookie contracts plus MLE player

The first option is scarier

« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/national_sports/boston-will-love-kemba-former-uconn-coach-jim-calhoun-says/article_303c5424-7980-5891-919f-20e31868c87b.html

Sorry if this has been posted but I cant stress enough how much better this interview with Jim Calhoun made me feel about signing Kemba.

The way I see it Boston is the best fit because...

1. Kemba lost his first all star appearance to IT4 despite playing as well if not better. I think Kemba has proven that he's a better player than Isaiah so put him in Brad's system and watch him go to work.

2. Hayward originally signed to play with Kemba in Charlotte before it was matched by Utah. You'd imagine Kemba still has respect for Hayward's game.

3. New England Pride.
“He understands the New England passion,” said Calhoun. “When we’d get to the Sweet 16 we’d usually be the only New England team remaining. So we sort of were adopted by New England. Trust me, he understands how important winning is up here."

4. His role would not change. He would be the first option/closer here which he might not get to be in Dallas or LA. Kemba will slide right into our rotation being flanked by upgrades at basically every position compared to what he had in Charlotte.

I leave coach Calhoun with the final word.

“Kemba is a winner. He is a winner,” repeated Calhoun. “He won in high school. His AAU team was incredible. He was on two Final Four teams with us.

“He’s already proven he’s a great player and he’s going to be a very wealthy man wherever he goes. But he wants to win. He wants to compete for a championship.”

« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/national_sports/boston-will-love-kemba-former-uconn-coach-jim-calhoun-says/article_303c5424-7980-5891-919f-20e31868c87b.html

Sorry if this has been posted but I cant stress enough how much better this interview with Jim Calhoun made me feel about signing Kemba.

The way I see it Boston is the best fit because...

1. Kemba lost his first all star appearance to IT4 despite playing as well if not better. I think Kemba has proven that he's a better player than Isaiah so put him in Brad's system and watch him go to work.

2. Hayward originally signed to play with Kemba in Charlotte before it was matched by Utah. You'd imagine Kemba still has respect for Hayward's game.

3. New England Pride.
“He understands the New England passion,” said Calhoun. “When we’d get to the Sweet 16 we’d usually be the only New England team remaining. So we sort of were adopted by New England. Trust me, he understands how important winning is up here."

4. His role would not change. He would be the first option/closer here which he might not get to be in Dallas or LA. Kemba will slide right into our rotation being flanked by upgrades at basically every position compared to what he had in Charlotte.

I leave coach Calhoun with the final word.

“Kemba is a winner. He is a winner,” repeated Calhoun. “He won in high school. His AAU team was incredible. He was on two Final Four teams with us.

“He’s already proven he’s a great player and he’s going to be a very wealthy man wherever he goes. But he wants to win. He wants to compete for a championship.”

Definitely sounds like a Boston, Ainge and Stevens kind of guy. Nice article. Gets me more excited about the possibility of him joining us. Sounds like he is well respected as well so you could say the anti somebody.

« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Last week Ainge talked about how having easy going people, looking out for the team makes his job easier (paraphrasing) and yesterday, Brad Stevens spoke highly about Kemba and his "good vibe."
https://nesn.com/2019/06/celtics-brad-stevens-praised-kemba-walkers-good-vibe-last-season/

Just sayin'

« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is anyone on here terrified by the possibility of Kemba joing the Sixers ?
In theory they can go with :
embiid , Simmons , Kemba , Butler , Thybulle and MLE player
Or
Embiid , Simmons, Kemba , Harris , redick, plus rookie contracts plus MLE player

The first option is scarier
Not really I don' think he's a good fit with Simmons.

« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'm all in on Vucevic after reading this Ringer article. Also, count me as part of the #StartSmart crew.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/26/18758828/boston-celtics-free-agency-nikola-vucevic-kemba-walker

Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Vucevic
Edwards/Langford/Hollis-Jefferson/Williams/Williams
Waters/Temple/Dudley/Ojeleye/Theis

Go after RHJ as a combo forward with some of the leftover cap. Sign a couple of vets like Dudley and Temple, and maybe bring back Theis.

« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
and for those of you who like to pay attention to dreams, hopes, and fantasies...

Current Kemba Walker destination likelihood order, per league source: 1. Boston 2. Charlotte 3. Dallas (definitely in the mix, with Lakers) Somewhere down the line: New York
--Brad Towsend, Dallas Morning News

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1143944349849460737

but sometimes dreams become real.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
and for those of you who like to pay attention to dreams, hopes, and fantasies...

Current Kemba Walker destination likelihood order, per league source: 1. Boston 2. Charlotte 3. Dallas (definitely in the mix, with Lakers) Somewhere down the line: New York
--Brad Towsend, Dallas Morning News

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1143944349849460737

but sometimes dreams become real.  ;D
If that comes to fruition, it will be interesting to see what they do for big men with the remaining cap space and exceptions they have. Have to think they’ll look to target someone via trade as wel.