Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76831 times)

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I like Kemba.  He's a dominating scorer and from what I can tell seems to be a class act who is loved by his teammates.   If we do sign him, then I will gladly support that team.

That said, I personally would rather go the slightly cheaper route of stealing Brogdon from the Bucks.

Not only because I think Brogdon is an excellent fit for this team's offense (he's an elite shooter and can move smoothly between ball-handler and wing roles, unlike Terry who struggled in the latter) and not only because he has excellent size and is good defender.   Because also if we can get him for say, ~25M, then (after rescinding Rozier's cap hold) we'd have 8-ish million available to put towards a big man.   We might be able to land someone like Dedmon for that.   We'd then have the Room Exception (4.7M) to land one more big man as well.

Kemba, by virtue of his elite scoring is at this moment probably more valuable than Brogdon.

But for this roster, I think "Brogdon+mid-level big man" is more valuable and a better route.

I also like that route better than paying a lot for a Vucevic or Adams just because while I like those two guys, I think you can get 70% of their value for a fraction of their cost from a guy like a Dedmon or JaMychal Green caliber player.

I suspect that Kemba, Vucevic, Adams and other similar 'mid-tier' free agents are going to wait until the 'big fish' free agents (Kawhi, KD, etc.) have found their homes.    I think that means that if we throw an aggressive offer sheet at Brogdon right at the start of free agency, we should know whether the Bucks will match (releasing our cap hold) before all the next level FAs are off the market because the Bucks would have only 2 days to match or decline.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sign Kemba with all our max money?  Silly season is in full effect ::)
Who do you want?

« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2019, 09:59:42 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Plan A Kemba
Plan B Brogdan

But Boston is going to have to really over pay for Brogdan to get him away from the Bucks.

« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Plan A Kemba
Plan B Brogdan

But Boston is going to have to really over pay for Brogdan to get him away from the Bucks.

Brogdan doesn't really fit unless you trade Brown or Smart.

« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm skeptical a mid level big man is worth the difference between Brogdon/Kemba, but I understand that line of thought.

One thing to keep in mind that the Celtics aren't walking into grocery store, FAs have to be interested in coming here. I wonder how many of the guys we discuss haven't shown much interest.

« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Let's not do something silly and start a new thread that the C's are at front of the line for Kemba.
Let Woj drop the bomb before opening a new thread or just adding an edit to this one.
I for one of many think Kemba will sign here and then we may trade one of our wings (ahem, Jaylen) and a pick for a quality big that may surprise people.

« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny is not just going to add Kemba and no frontline guy. He will get them both somehow.

« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm sure they will explore trading Jaylen given that he's coming up for a new contract. I don't really see a trade were the C's get back enough, but who knows.

« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2019, 10:12:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Celtics now "at the front of the line" for Kemba
https://985thesportshub.com/2019/06/26/kemba-walker-nba-free-agency-celtics-front-line/
Certainly lots of smoke
Oh we're hard selling Kemba on Boston. Front of the line to me means we're aggressively courting him as our priority, not that we're the likely landing spot.

The question is what does he want, because he clearly has multiple max 4 year deals on the table. Dallas, Boston, and probably two or three others at least.

« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Let's not do something silly and start a new thread that the C's are at front of the line for Kemba.
Let Woj drop the bomb before opening a new thread or just adding an edit to this one.
I for one of many think Kemba will sign here and then we may trade one of our wings (ahem, Jaylen) and a pick for a quality big that may surprise people.

That's the way I'm leaning as well. Myles Turner perhaps?

« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Celtics now "at the front of the line" for Kemba
https://985thesportshub.com/2019/06/26/kemba-walker-nba-free-agency-celtics-front-line/
Certainly lots of smoke
Oh we're hard selling Kemba on Boston. Front of the line to me means we're aggressively courting him as our priority, not that we're the likely landing spot.

The question is what does he want, because he clearly has multiple max 4 year deals on the table. Dallas, Boston, and probably two or three others at least.

It sounds like Dallas is really in on Pat Beverly, which helps us our chances of Kemba
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2019/06/25/mavericks-free-agency-update-patrick-beverley-much-play-nikola-vucevic-not

« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Danny is not just going to add Kemba and no frontline guy. He will get them both somehow.

Exactly, which I why I'm in favor of signing Kemba.  Ainge wont make the signing without a solid plan for the front court.

« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

That's what I think too. In addition to targeting Kemba, I think Danny is going to address center by trading one of our many wings.