Author Topic: Time to Raid the Clippers Dry!!  (Read 7725 times)

Re: Time to Raid the Clippers Dry!!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The Clips have been hit with the sociological version of a nuke.

Uninhabitable for decades.

Eh, I am not trying to be insensitive, but I really see this thing blowing over in a few weeks. Sterling's a jerk, but he didn't kill anybody or do anything illegal. Once the dust settles, players and coaches will want to stick together - Sterling will hopefully go above and beyond on his apology and not try to over-explain himself.

Heck, Michael Vick's hobby was essentially killing dogs - man's best friend. America is a forgiving country. If Sterling can take this matter and turn it into something positive, even if it is just increasing racism awareness, then I think everybody will be able to move on with their lives.

no way is this blowing over or getting swept under a rug. you have players, coaches, and most likely other employees within the organization that want out if sterling is associated with the organization. and that's where the problem lies, and why I say this isn't going away soon, nor will it be resolved in a week.

the ideal resolution in many people's mind is for the NBA to force sterling to sell the team but more than likely they'll only be able to suspend him indefinitely. but even that i'm not so sure they'll be able to do forever.

on top of all that, everyone "in the know" seems to think sterling will fight tooth 'n nail to keep the team. and i'm sure with him being a lawyer he will find a way to fight a long term suspension.

this isn't going away any time soon. if this is settled before the start of next season i'd be surprised.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Eh, I am not trying to be insensitive, but I really see this thing blowing over in a few weeks. Sterling's a jerk, but he didn't kill anybody or do anything illegal. Once the dust settles, players and coaches will want to stick together - Sterling will hopefully go above and beyond on his apology and not try to over-explain himself.

Heck, Michael Vick's hobby was essentially killing dogs - man's best friend. America is a forgiving country. If Sterling can take this matter and turn it into something positive, even if it is just increasing racism awareness, then I think everybody will be able to move on with their lives.
woj already tweeted doc is gone if sterling stays. I think it could get ugly

While I don't doubt that Doc could leave, I try to give people a chance to settle down rather than going by their initial emotional reaction to a negative situation. Frankly, I would think a lot less of Doc if he just ditched his players - did he really not have any idea that Sterling had some 'racist' thoughts in his head? And, 'thoughts' are what we are talking about, not public remarks that Sterling planned out and wanted everybody to know.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Eh, some people may not agree with me, but honestly I view racism of the kind that Sterling has evidenced here as something much worse than dog fighting.

But then, I'm not much of an animal rights activist.  I'm always way, way more concerned about people than animals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:32 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
DeAndre for the Trade Exception??

**Edit: Would you do Jordan for the trade exception and their own first round pick back?

LOL,no.  their 1st round pick could end up very high if that team falls apart.

The main guy I'd love to have from them is Blake Griffin.  Would be redundant to trade for CP3 with Rondo here...

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 04:49:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just hope we don't lose the pick through some bad luck, like the league decides to basically end the team.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sterling will be ousted as owner.  Nobody is leaving.  Team is worth 1 billion. 

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 05:36:03 AM »

fitzhickey

Rondo to griffin would be nasty as heck.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Eh, some people may not agree with me, but honestly I view racism of the kind that Sterling has evidenced here as something much worse than dog fighting.

But then, I'm not much of an animal rights activist.  I'm always way, way more concerned about people than animals.

Good for you.

But animals are just like people. They breathe, live, walk, run and have two eyes, a mouth and deserve every bit the right to a happy life as people do.

I would also submit to you that alot of animals (particulary dogs) have a more pure heart and are more decent living organisms than people.

Racism and killing dogs are both disgusting and intoerable acts, but let's not make one seem more acceptable than the other.

It's like saying "instead of robbing a bank, I am just going to rob $100 from some lady's wallet."

Sorry, I am a HUGE animal lover, and your response sorta struck a cord with me.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Good for you.

But animals are just like people. They breathe, live, walk, run and have two eyes, a mouth and deserve every bit the right to a happy life as people do.

I would also submit to you that alot of animals (particulary dogs) have a more pure heart and are more decent living organisms than people.

Racism and killing dogs are both disgusting and intolerable acts, but let's not make one seem more acceptable than the other.

It's like saying "instead of robbing a bank, I am just going to rob $100 from some lady's wallet."

In an ideal world, there would be neither racism nor animal cruelty.  Neither is "acceptable."  Both are forgivable, given the right circumstances.  But to me, one is definitely more despicable, and a much bigger problem in our world, than the other.

My priorities lie with things that affects people.  Animals are not people, no matter how much we project our emotions onto them.  Dogs cannot have "pure hearts" because they are not capable of moral decision making, self-awareness, or empathy, or any number of others things that I think of as essential to personhood.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about animal rights, but I took issue with the notion that dog fighting is on the same level (or worse) than racism.  Dog fighting is an awful, barbaric practice that should be rooted out of our society.  Racism is a pervasive, insidious problem that exists in our society at all levels, and affects millions of people's lives every single day in a very real and very negative way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Good for you.

Racism and killing dogs are both disgusting and intolerable acts, but let's not make one seem more acceptable than the other.

In an ideal world, there would be neither racism nor animal cruelty.  Neither is "acceptable."  Both are forgivable, given the right circumstances.  But to me, one is definitely more despicable, and a much bigger problem in our world, than the other.

My priorities lie with things that affects people.  Animals are not people, no matter how much we project our emotions onto them.  Dogs cannot have "pure hearts" because they are not capable of moral decision making, self-awareness, or empathy, or any number of others things that I think of as essential to personhood.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about animal rights, but I took issue with the notion that dog fighting is on the same level (or worse) than racism.  Dog fighting is an awful, barbaric practice that should be rooted out of our society.  Racism is a pervasive, insidious problem that exists in our society at all levels, and affects millions of people's lives every single day in a very real and very negative way.

Understood. At the end of the day, it's important to respect one another, both people and animals and respect each other's opinions.

And the truth is, while no matter how vile, both issues are really very separate from one another.

Sorry, I just REALLY love animals and read a story a couple weeks ago in the news about a poor dog that was brutually killed which REALLY disgusted me.

Anyway....back to hoops....

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Good for you.

Racism and killing dogs are both disgusting and intoerable acts, but let's not make one seem more acceptable than the other.

I'm going to disagree here.  Society has given humans preference over animals.  We give some animals more preference than others in this society, but you can't euthanize homeless people like you can cats and dogs, so even those preferred animals are considered lesser than humans.

Sterling's brand of racism, very often, involves seeing certain ethnic groups as sub-human.  That's how slavery existed for so long in this country.  Even beyond slavery, there are other forms of abuse that racists subject others to, such as denying employment, or in Sterling's case, housing.  In seeing some people as no better than animals, racists feel they are allowed to treat them like animals.  By equating racism to animal abuse, you are actually giving into some of the very views that racists espouse, which society at large does not agree with.  (Now structural racism is a different matter, but that's not what Sterling is accused of).

I'm not saying animal abuse is not bad.  As a vegetarian for ethical reasons, I do think animals should be treated as equal to people regarding the right to live, which is not the view of the majority.  And since that is not the viewpoint of the majority, racism ought to have a higher moral condemnation, as people are viewed as superior to animals (even though Sterling isn't going to jail like Vick did).

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

While I don't doubt that Doc could leave, I try to give people a chance to settle down rather than going by their initial emotional reaction to a negative situation. Frankly, I would think a lot less of Doc if he just ditched his players - did he really not have any idea that Sterling had some 'racist' thoughts in his head? And, 'thoughts' are what we are talking about, not public remarks that Sterling planned out and wanted everybody to know.

Pretty optimistic - some would say naive - view of how America will view Donald Sterling, one that flatly is not going to happen. You won't convince me that the majority of America is looking for a reason to cut a racist a break - nor should it.

No one will play there, no one will coach there. Sterling is going to lose - eventually - in court because he's given his legal "implied consent" to the NBA constitution by operating under it.

As much as some would like it to, this is not going to blow over. Absolutely no chance.

Nor should it.

Selfishly as a C's fan, I hope Sterling litigates this to death, so his players will leave, seek legal recourse to leave, etc.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:51:03 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Good for you.

Excellent post and very well said. I'd give you more than one TP if I could.

I have no patience whatsoever with people who devalue the life of an animal, and happily in this state you go to prison for doing so - as you should.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Pretty optimistic - some would say naive - view of how America will view Donald Sterling, one that flatly is not going to happen. You won't convince me that the majority of America is looking for a reason to cut a racist a break - nor should it.

No one will play there, no one will coach there. Sterling is going to lose - eventually - in court because he's given his legal "implied consent" to the NBA constitution by operating under it.

As much as some would like it to, this is not going to blow over. Absolutely no chance.

Nor should it.

Selfishly as a C's fan, I hope Sterling litigates this to death, so his players will leave, seek legal recourse to leave, etc.

To be fair [to me], my post was written before Silver's drastic announcement. I have no patience for racism or any kind of discrimination - heck, I am gay and realize that there are many people out there who dislike me for something out of my control and even my state doesn't recognize my marriage. It doesn't make it right, it's just something that exists.

However, even though Doc may leave, I will stand by my assertion that the general populace will get over this - they always do. The point has been made that Sterling is a despicable person. The longer he is out of the spotlight, the more this will be forgotten. Luckily, everybody can go back to their glass houses and talk about sunshine and rainbows like they always have and always will  ::)

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
I'll take blake and CP3. but doc can just stay in LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truth be told, I sorta feel bad for the guy.

I mean he took what he thought was going to be a better job, and it turns out he's working for some racist ***wad.

tough luck. Grass is not always greener on the other side. Doc did not want to be part of a rebuild. fine. hit the road. he did so. Then things happen. C'est la vie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also had the opportunity to control the team's basketball ops -- something he definitely wasn't going to have with the Celtics.

and there ya go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!