Author Topic: Brandon Ingram Out For Remainder Of The Year With Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)  (Read 6415 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That is LA out of the Anthony Davis sweepstakes.

No way New Orleans goes for Ingram with this uncertainty over his health muddying the waters. And LA doesn't have enough to get into the conversation without Ingram headlining the deal.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
As soon as I heard the term "venous" it doesn't sound good. Just has to do with the blood in his body.

And yeah, it sounds nasty. Hope the guy recovers. He's been playing well this year. Could it also be physically related to how tall and skinny/thin he looks out on the court?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
As soon as I heard the term "venous" it doesn't sound good. Just has to do with the blood in his body.

And yeah, it sounds nasty. Hope the guy recovers. He's been playing well this year. Could it also be physically related to how tall and skinny/thin he looks out on the court?

No.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wish Ingram all the best and that this is just a one time thing that doesn't derail his life dreams. But if it is more serious and he can't play basketball anymore, I hope he has been wise with his money and that he is able to do something else with his life that makes like fulfilling to him.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

No.

is it an injury or heritable from his folks ?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No.

is it an injury or heritable from his folks ?

It can be genetic. As far as weight, obesity is a risk factor. As is inflammation, so I imagine the Lakers and their medical team are probably trying to figure out if the DVT initiated pain and inflammation in the shoulder or if he might have overworked the shoulder leading to inflammation that caused the DVT.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:04:26 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
This happened to me and led to me stopping basketball (all contact sports all together). If it’s genetic and he needs blood thinners forever, it’s too risky to play. Playing sports while on blood thinners can cause fatal internal bleeding.

He’s out about a year regardless because he will be on blood thinners because the first year is the largest risk of another clot. Most doctors will recommend at least 1 year of it even if it isn’t genetic.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I’ve been through it.

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hate the Lakers but its just a sport..this man life is in danger and praying for his recovery..hope see him on court very soon
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Is it possible he has this ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paget–Schroetter_disease

Paget–Schroetter disease

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This happened to me and led to me stopping basketball (all contact sports all together). If it’s genetic and he needs blood thinners forever, it’s too risky to play. Playing sports while on blood thinners can cause fatal internal bleeding.

He’s out about a year regardless because he will be on blood thinners because the first year is the largest risk of another clot. Most doctors will recommend at least 1 year of it even if it isn’t genetic.

That's horrible.  Sorry to hear it.   Can you still do cardio stuff like running/swimming?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

That's horrible.  Sorry to hear it.   Can you still do cardio stuff like running/swimming?

Yeah, even tennis (as long as it’s fairly casual). Just no contact sports. I don’t have it genetically but since I’m not getting paid millions, I personally called it quits on contact sports.

The risk isn’t the intensity of the workout but more so getting a blow (like an elbow) to a vital organ and having internal bleeding while on blood thinners since it reduces your ability to form natural clots.

It’s the blood thinners that are the culprit, and If you have clotting issues genetically, you’ll be on them forever. If it’s just from injury, he’ll be good to go in 6 to 12 months (whenever your blood doc takes you off the thinners). It’s the difference between Bosh and Tyreke.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Wow I was talking with my Lakers friend and his first comment was, "ugh I don't even care anymore. he has no trade value anymore"... like the guy has blood clots which could seriously affect his career and that's your first real thought about all this?? Sad part is though, I'm sure Lebron now feels the same way actually  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow I was talking with my Lakers friend and his first comment was, "ugh I don't even care anymore. he has no trade value anymore"... like the guy has blood clots which could seriously affect his career and that's your first real thought about all this?? Sad part is though, I'm sure Lebron now feels the same way actually  ::)
Sadly, I see more and more of this type of attitude towards players. They are judged as a monetary entity as well as a basketball player and a person. Not sure when this phenomena began.

Did the advent of reporting player's salaries start this? Did video gaming and fantasy sports, especially money leagues, help to create this attitude? Did the ever increasing costs of being a fan cause it as well?

Not sure of the answers for any of those questions, but I think often, we forget these athletes are people and have their own issues.

I think it sad that any Laker fan would be angry over this because it lowers Ingram's trade value. I can't imagine any Celtic fan was angry over Hayward's contract the day after he got injured last year, which is I think about as equal an example as I can get to relate it.

Yeah, that's really sad to look at things the way your friend does Phantom. Ingram deserves better.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Sadly, I see more and more of this type of attitude towards players. They are judged as a monetary entity as well as a basketball player and a person. Not sure when this phenomena began.

Did the advent of reporting player's salaries start this? Did video gaming and fantasy sports, especially money leagues, help to create this attitude? Did the ever increasing costs of being a fan cause it as well?

Not sure of the answers for any of those questions, but I think often, we forget these athletes are people and have their own issues.

I think it sad that any Laker fan would be angry over this because it lowers Ingram's trade value. I can't imagine any Celtic fan was angry over Hayward's contract the day after he got injured last year, which is I think about as equal an example as I can get to relate it.

Yeah, that's really sad to look at things the way your friend does Phantom. Ingram deserves better.

He's actually a really nice guy IRL and passionate about the Lakers. He told me he's just frustrated in general about the Lakers with everything that's going on and he said that Ingram bit in a bit of frustration and felt bad about it afterwards.

There are also Lakers fans who've been upset about Lonzo taking so long to recover but I think now it doesn't matter since they're out of the playoff race.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Terrible news. Hoping for the best with Ingram.