Author Topic: Avery Bradley vs Courtney Lee  (Read 8423 times)

Re: Avery Bradley vs Courtney Lee
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 01:00:21 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I know we're likely trying to package some of our assets to make an upgrade.  We have some redundant players.

Is the consensus here that Avery Bradley is better than Courtney Lee?  It's interesting, because if you weren't actually watching the games and just looking at stats, you'd probably assume Lee is superior.  Certainly Lee has a better track record.  4 years of quality college ball followed by  4 years of quality pro ball.  While Bradley has an overrated high school career, subpar freshman college season, a dreadful rookie NBA season and a phenomenal 15 game stretch in 2012 to make up his resume.

But even this month...

Lee - 7.6 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals, 52% shooting, 38% from three and 80% from the line  in only 17.7 minutes..

VS 

Bradley - 8.1 points, 1.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 41% shooting, 29% from three and 25% from the line in 23.5 minutes

I said before the season that Lee was our best all around shooting guard... Bradley arguably having a slight edge on him defensively and the redundant Terry/Barbosa having a slight edge offensively... but I also gave bonus points to Lee for being 3 inches and 20 pounds bigger than both Bradley and Terry.

Thoughts on this subject?

I think the stat that would be most useful in illustrating Bradley's value would be the average time on the opponent shot clock when they finally get it across the half court line.

And if you think that isn't important, you need to go review what opponent eFG% are based on when in the clock a shot is taken.   It is a huge factor.

(You can get that info at 82games.com)

I do like Lee a lot and hope we keep him - I like having a 1-2 punch of continuous 'plus' defense at the SG spot all game.   And the fact is, Lee is simply nice to have when you need a bigger body at the 2.   Plus he's a veteran now and (now that he's started to shoot better again) a solid, reliable player.

But over the long haul, Bradley will likely be a more valuable player.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Re: Avery Bradley vs Courtney Lee
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 01:03:31 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Lee is much more valuable than Bradley because of injury concerns. Bradley's style of play while exciting and effective is not how you play a 100 game NBA season. As we've already seen it leads to too many injuries and missed games. I'll take Lee every day and twice on Sunday..

Bradley's 'style of play' has had nothing to do with his injuries.

His ankle injury before his rookie year happened at a pre-draft workout.

His shoulder injuries last year were caused by congenital issues (which were (hopefully) addressed by the surgery).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.