Author Topic: Carmelo to Rockets Multi-Team Trade Rumors (merged)  (Read 9641 times)

Re: Carmelo to Rockets Multi-Team Trade Rumors (merged)
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Can someone tell me what the Rockets are reportedly sending out? Maybe I missed this somewhere, but I can't find it in the articles I've read.

Ryan Anderson and his terrible contract

Yes I know that part. But what assets are they sending out? Presumably the Knicks don't consider Anderson for Melo a fair trade. I mean, Phil Jackson is no longer around after all.
I think they are hoping for salary cap relief in return. So they won't be taking on Anderson, they will hope for someone who can give them cap space next summer.

Also Houston will have to send out more than just Anderson. I imagine they would also send out Ariza as well given he is expiring and they would have Melo and Tucker at that position.

The Nets might be interested in getting in on this if they can extract an asset.

To Houston: Melo
To Knicks: Ariza, Carroll
To Brooklyn: Anderson, picks

Although the Knicks may be looking for more immediate salary relief than that

Houston is hoping to send out Anderson and non-guaranteed contracts they acquired the last week of June.  They need to find a team with useful players but a salary crunch looming to move a contract for tax relief or long-term cap relief.  Portland has several such players who aren't as bad a contract as Anderson.  Milwaukee also might be somewhere to look, along with New Orleans.  OKC would be a nice partner too, as they try to lessen their luxury tax bill and make affording George and Westbrook more plausible next year, but they might not like to help Carmelo go to Houston.

For my understanding... The Knicks don't want to take on Anderson so he needs to be routed to a 3rd team. That 3rd team would need to shed salary as they are facing tax implications, so they would need to move a contract(s) larger than Anderson if they are to take him on right? So I'd assume that they might want compensation in the form of picks if they are losing multiple decent players?

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Perhaps it's just me, but I seriously don't see a Paul, Harden, and Melo threesome working out so well.

As Celtics fans, we ought to be hoping that Cleveland trades Love for Melo instead of him going to Houston, because I think we matchup much better with Cleveland with Melo at the 4 than Love at the 4 (less rebounding, similar poor defense, and allows/forces us to play smaller there).

I have been questioning the Paul/Harden matchup pairing from the beginning. You throw Melo in there, and I just don't get it. The only positive defender out of the 3 is Paul, and both Paul and Harden are pgs.
Me too.  I'm not a Melo guy but I think Paul is the perfect teammate for him.  Paul and Harden makes no sense to me.  Harden establishing himself as a point guard was the best thing that happened to his career.  Seems like someone like Hayward would almost be a better fit than Harden to go with the other two.

Theoretically it will fit because Paul hopes to play off the ball more in order to extend his career.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Perhaps it's just me, but I seriously don't see a Paul, Harden, and Melo threesome working out so well.

As Celtics fans, we ought to be hoping that Cleveland trades Love for Melo instead of him going to Houston, because I think we matchup much better with Cleveland with Melo at the 4 than Love at the 4 (less rebounding, similar poor defense, and allows/forces us to play smaller there).

I have been questioning the Paul/Harden matchup pairing from the beginning. You throw Melo in there, and I just don't get it. The only positive defender out of the 3 is Paul, and both Paul and Harden are pgs.
Me too.  I'm not a Melo guy but I think Paul is the perfect teammate for him.  Paul and Harden makes no sense to me.  Harden establishing himself as a point guard was the best thing that happened to his career.  Seems like someone like Hayward would almost be a better fit than Harden to go with the other two.
I think the league is now offence oriented. Play passable D, kill your shooting stats, fouls drawn. Winnerz
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I think the league is now offence oriented. Play passable D, kill your shooting stats, fouls drawn. Winnerz

GSW were the best defensive team in the league last year. nothing much has changed..

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Theoretically it will fit because Paul hopes to play off the ball more in order to extend his career.

Hard to see that happening. He certainly has the ability to do so with his shooting, but he's been an on-ball/ball dominant type of point guard his entire career. He's not as ball-dominant as some guards today, but I still think it'd be quite a change that I'm not sure he's ready to accept or perhaps even be capable of.

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Can someone tell me what the Rockets are reportedly sending out? Maybe I missed this somewhere, but I can't find it in the articles I've read.

Ryan Anderson and his terrible contract

Yes I know that part. But what assets are they sending out? Presumably the Knicks don't consider Anderson for Melo a fair trade. I mean, Phil Jackson is no longer around after all.
I think they are hoping for salary cap relief in return. So they won't be taking on Anderson, they will hope for someone who can give them cap space next summer.

Also Houston will have to send out more than just Anderson. I imagine they would also send out Ariza as well given he is expiring and they would have Melo and Tucker at that position.

The Nets might be interested in getting in on this if they can extract an asset.

To Houston: Melo
To Knicks: Ariza, Carroll
To Brooklyn: Anderson, picks

Although the Knicks may be looking for more immediate salary relief than that

Houston is hoping to send out Anderson and non-guaranteed contracts they acquired the last week of June.  They need to find a team with useful players but a salary crunch looming to move a contract for tax relief or long-term cap relief.  Portland has several such players who aren't as bad a contract as Anderson.  Milwaukee also might be somewhere to look, along with New Orleans.  OKC would be a nice partner too, as they try to lessen their luxury tax bill and make affording George and Westbrook more plausible next year, but they might not like to help Carmelo go to Houston.

For my understanding... The Knicks don't want to take on Anderson so he needs to be routed to a 3rd team. That 3rd team would need to shed salary as they are facing tax implications, so they would need to move a contract(s) larger than Anderson if they are to take him on right? So I'd assume that they might want compensation in the form of picks if they are losing multiple decent players?
Portland makes a lot of sense, but would the Knicks actually want Crabbe and Leonard (for example). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip