Author Topic: Tom Thibodeau to coach Knicks  (Read 6998 times)

Tom Thibodeau to coach Knicks
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The New York Knicks and Tom Thibodeau are finalizing a five-year deal to make him the franchise's next head coach, sources tell ESPN.

Knicks president Leon Rose and agent Spencer Breecker of CAA Sports were working Saturday to complete contractual terms, and a signed agreement is expected in the near future, sources said.

I’m glad that Thibs is going to be grabbing Dolan’s money, but I wouldn’t want his as a head coach at this point.  I’d take him in a minute as a defensive coach, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Tom Thibodeau to coach Knicks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Those poor players are gonna be run into the ground, LOL...RJ Barrett's projected career just got shortened by a few years. At least the Knicks got a legit basketball coach this time

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
LOL. This is hilarious. A bad coach leading a bad team. The perfect marriage!

I wonder if Thibs will ever accept the fact that he's not a good head coach. I bet the Knicks will realize it first.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Perfect choice to help the division by running their own team's players to the ground.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Won’t end well.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
When will people learn that Thibodeau is not a great coach? And the last thing the Knicks want is someone who isn't even a developmental coach.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 03:38:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
When will people learn that Thibodeau is not a great coach? And the last thing the Knicks want is someone who isn't even a developmental coach.

The Knicks have been the definition of 'god awful' for years on defense. He may not be a great coach, overall, but he should help instill some good defensive habits into that young team.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 04:05:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The Knicks have been the definition of 'god awful' for years on defense. He may not be a great coach, overall, but he should help instill some good defensive habits into that young team.

And at what cost? Running young players into the ground? Unable to create basic offensive sets?

I think you're forgetting while Thibs pioneered the defensive schemes that we see used in modern NBA, but he's also led some teams with some god awful offensive principles -- and clearly was unable to adapt to the pace and space.

Now, don't get me wrong. Thibs is still one of the best defensive coaches, and he can certainly elevate teams from average to elite status, but how will he do with young players? Starting from the rock bottom?

Clearly Rose saw something in him, some Reddit user predicted almost a year ago that Thibs will probably end up as the Knicks coach. So maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways, best of luck to him.

This will be the 14th coach during the Dolan era, and it's not going to look that good in my opinion.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:11:49 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:27:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
At least he'll bring discipline.

Maybe that's what they need?

I wish Tibs well - just not against BOS.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 07:21:13 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Won’t end well.

Might start well tho...

I can see a scenario in which fires get lit under players butts, defensive mentalities get put in place and competitive basketball gets played... for a little while

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man, I hope he doesn't stay there long. Nothing against Thibs personally, but unless he's learnt from past mistakes, he's going to run those young guys into the ground.

Seeing Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose and even to an extent Jimmy Butler get ground down by Thibs' insistence they play near 40 minutes has always made me a bit sad about the waste.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
this is the knicks we are talking about. it makes no difference who their head coach is. they will suck mightly and lose a lot of games. thibs may at least make them a more entertaining team...somehow.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Man, I hope he doesn't stay there long. Nothing against Thibs personally, but unless he's learnt from past mistakes, he's going to run those young guys into the ground.

Seeing Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose and even to an extent Jimmy Butler get ground down by Thibs' insistence they play near 40 minutes has always made me a bit sad about the waste.

Such a crazy notion to expect a player to play most of a game. It’s not like they are elite athletes or anything. I guess expecting them to play more than 75% of a game is a stretch.

I could understand easing up on the second of a B2B or watching minutes for someone 35 years old, but I hate the idea that a young player playing more than 33mpg is abuse. Just 10-15 years ago playing upwards of 40 a night was normal for stars.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 06:52:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Such a crazy notion to expect a player to play most of a game. It’s not like they are elite athletes or anything. I guess expecting them to play more than 75% of a game is a stretch.

I could understand easing up on the second of a B2B or watching minutes for someone 35 years old, but I hate the idea that a young player playing more than 33mpg is abuse. Just 10-15 years ago playing upwards of 40 a night was normal for stars.
It’s not simply about the minutes. Thibs’ coaching style just flies in the face of the developments sports science has made over the last few years. Dating back to 2011, 5 of his regular starters (Deng, Rose, Butler, Lavine, Noah) suffered repeat injuries, and all of them were being pushed to the limit.

Nobody is stating that it’s “abuse”, it’s just stupid. Stars might have been playing that much, but their careers were routinely being cut short. Guys with bodies McGrady, Stoudemire, Wade, Hardaway and Baron Davis (believe me, I could go on) didn’t have bodies suited to playing that much, but the notion was that stars have to play that much, as you say. And it butchered their careers, or at least seasons within their careers.

Guys like Rose & Griffin are still able to be in the league because the ideas regarding stars have changed. Personally, I think that’s a good thing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 08:54:45 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

There's a reason 10-15 years ago player's primes were shorter.