Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121846 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #990 on: July 04, 2018, 04:30:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Geez what a haul!!! Dont blame Lakers saying no..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #991 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
It’s unfortunate that the Clips have little to offer.  Tobias Harris and there’s not much else.  Harris and Galinari/Gortat plus picks for Gasol and Leonard.  Buy out  Gasol and create a max slot for next year after signing Kawhi? 

« Reply #992 on: July 04, 2018, 01:04:39 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Kawhi Leonard reportedly not interested in Boston

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #993 on: July 04, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just read on Bleacher Report the Spurs are demanding Brandon Ingram, Kuzma, Josh Hart, two firsts and the option to swap two more firsts. My only question is how does a GM make a demand like that with a straight face?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784441-lakers-trade-rumors-kawhi-leonard-ask-includes-brandon-ingram-kyle-kuzma-more

« Reply #994 on: July 04, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I just read on Bleacher Report the Spurs are demanding Brandon Ingram, Kuzma, Josh Hart, two firsts and the option to swap two more firsts. My only question is how does a GM make a demand like that with a straight face?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784441-lakers-trade-rumors-kawhi-leonard-ask-includes-brandon-ingram-kyle-kuzma-more

Seems like a reasonable ask.  Should be noted if that’s an actual ask Deng is also involved to make salaries work.  Taking on Deng’s contract should cost two firsts by itself, and the Lakers with LeBron and Kawhi will not be giving you 1sts in the lottery.

« Reply #995 on: July 04, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Seems like a reasonable ask.  Should be noted if that’s an actual ask Deng is also involved to make salaries work.  Taking on Deng’s contract should cost two firsts by itself, and the Lakers with LeBron and Kawhi will not be giving you 1sts in the lottery.

Yeah, I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread:

They're trading an MVP candidate in his prime. It sounds like a lot but 3 prospects and 4 picks isn't unheard of. Orlando got 6 players, 2 firsts, and 2 seconds for Dwight Howard and washed up Jason Richardson.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #996 on: July 04, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

They're trading an MVP candidate in his prime. It sounds like a lot but 3 prospects and 4 picks isn't unheard of. Orlando got 6 players, 2 firsts, and 2 seconds for Dwight Howard and washed up Jason Richardson.
He's potentially a 1 year rental and coming off a major injury.  That's way too much to give up if you've got the cap space to get him next offseason. 

Edit:  If Deng's contract is included that would make it more palatable. 

« Reply #997 on: July 04, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

He's potentially a 1 year rental and coming off a major injury.  That's way too much to give up if you've got the cap space to get him next offseason. 

I'm with you. He's either got real health issues or real personality issues that are going to have to be dealt with. Taking him on is a gamble.

But if you're the Spurs, you're looking at a player who came in 2nd and 3rd in MVP voting the last 2 seasons he played and he just turned 27. And there's no pressure to do the deal right now if you're not getting what you want.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #998 on: July 04, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yeah, to be clear I don’t think the Lakers should accept that offer.  It’s asking for an awful lot, but if a deal gets done it will be a lot closer to that than Deng, Kuzma, and a draft pick like LA is probably offering.

« Reply #999 on: July 04, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Really really like Kawhi. Ever since this story broke out, I can't help but wonder

A) whether it's likely that the C's will trade for him
B) how the C's would look like with Kawhi on their roster

Personally speaking, I'd rather part ways with Kyrie instead of Brown. Here is my line of thinking:

Assuming

-Kawhi is willing to commit long term with the C's
or
-Danny believes that Kyrie is planning to leave next summer via free agency

I'd push for a Kyrie for Kawhi straight up deal. Worst case scenario, we include a non Kings/Grizzlies first as well.

Step 2
We trade Morris to the Clips for Beverley.

(obviously, these are 2 different trades)

Step 3
Since we can't afford both Smart and Rozier (going forward), I'd trade Rozier at the deadline for the best pick I could possibly get. No point in starting a score-first PG when we 'd already have far too many options on the offensive side of the ball (Kawhi, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford).

So this is how the team would look like come playoffs time next season (hopefully everybody will be healthy for a change)

PG: Beverley, Smart, Wanamaker
SG: Brown, buyout market FA on the minimum (someone who can stretch the floor), Nader
SF: Kawhi, Hayward, Semi
PF: Tatum, Theis, Yabu
C: Horford, Baynes, Williams
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:07:46 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #1000 on: July 05, 2018, 12:31:39 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Really really like Kawhi. Ever since this story broke out, I can't help but wonder

Personally speaking, I'd rather part ways with Kyrie instead of Brown. Here is my line of thinking:

Assuming

or

I'd push for a Kyrie for Kawhi straight up deal. Worst case scenario, we include a non Kings/Grizzlies first as well.

Step 2

Step 3
Since we can't afford both Smart and Rozier (going forward), I'd trade Rozier at the deadline for the best pick I could possibly get. No point in starting a score-first PG when we 'd already have far too many options on the offensive side of the ball (Kawhi, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford).

So this is how the team would look like come playoffs time next season (hopefully everybody will be healthy for a change)

SG: Brown, buyout market FA on the minimum (someone who can stretch the floor), Nader

First: I don't think the Spur will trade for Irving with one year left, they want future assests. Guys with multiple years left, young, and possible on rookie contracts, and picks, lots of picks. Irving would be a bad trade for them.

Second: NO way are we paying Hayward 30mil to come off the bench. If a trade of Irving for Leonard happened, it would be Leonard/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Leonard and Hayward would handle PG duty, and Leonard and Brown would guard the smalls.

« Reply #1001 on: July 05, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Assuming

or

Step 2

Step 3

First: I don't think the Spur will trade for Irving with one year left, they want future assests. Guys with multiple years left, young, and possible on rookie contracts, and picks, lots of picks. Irving would be a bad trade for them.

Second: NO way are we paying Hayward 30mil to come off the bench. If a trade of Irving for Leonard happened, it would be Leonard/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Leonard and Hayward would handle PG duty, and Leonard and Brown would guard the smalls.

- Kyrie had the Spurs on his list of preferred trade destinations last summer.

- Spurs are telling teams they prefer to remain competitive even with Kawhi Leonard trade. Kyrie is the best return they can possibly get. Not to mention he is just 26 years old.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250418/Spurs-Telling-Teams-They-Prefer-To-Remain-Competitive-Even-With-Kawhi-Leonard-Trade

Regarding your second point, neither Kawhi nor Hayward is a PG. I believe Hayward has what it takes to run a half court offense from time to time, but we need someone who can consistently bring the ball up the court.

« Reply #1002 on: July 05, 2018, 08:01:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Beverly had micro fracture knee surgery. And you want him to be your starting PG?

« Reply #1003 on: July 05, 2018, 08:10:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Hope we dont get Leonard..if it means trading 2-3 players plus picks, i pass..Ainge and Stevens built this team to win for years to come and lets keep it that way
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1004 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Beverly had micro fracture knee surgery. And you want him to be your starting PG?
Kyrie isn't exactly an iron man either. Plus I'd keep Rozier till the trade deadline, so Beverley would be in no rush to play big minutes straight away. Obviously, if Danny believes that Beverley won't return the same player after the injury, I wouldn't trade for him.

If healthy, Beverley is possibly the best on-ball defender in the NBA (alongside Bradley).