Author Topic: Greg Monroe  (Read 8421 times)

Re: Greg Monroe
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Monroe had a really good game last night, which was encouraging.

Hopefully this is something he can build on and continue, and wasn't just a one game blip.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Monroe is a beast!

Finally have someone that can punish people in the block. He's also a great passer. He's got flaws but I think it was Jeff Van Gundy that said it last night, if you can play defense against the Rockets you can play against anybody.

Greg showed out.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Hopefully this is something he can build on and continue, and wasn't just a one game blip.

He had 18 points yesterday, but he also had 14 points the game before.

Definitely a premature thread calling him a liability.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When he's paired with Smart and Theis he'll be very effective. Theis will help him on defense.

I agree...the C's are figuring out how to use him best.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I like the chemistry he's building with Smart and Morris in particular. You can see he's starting to get more comfortable with the team, but also Brad is figuring out how to use him more. Greg's a great passer, so if you have guys that can move without the ball on the floor with him, you can really run offense through him on the second unit. Hopefully the team continues to get him touches in the post and doesn't just limit him to setting screens in the pick and roll.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’d love to see Monroe after a full training camp to integrate him.

Horford / Theis
Tatum / Monroe
Hayward / Morris
Brown / Smart
Kyrie / Rozier

I’d like one scorer for the bench, but that’s a really exciting team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He had 18 points yesterday, but he also had 14 points the game before.

Definitely a premature thread calling him a liability.

Well, for the record, I didn't start that thread and the only thing I've said about Monroe up until this point was that he seemed to be a bit of a square peg to the Celtics round hole.

But it seems that Stevens is figuring out to use a player like Moose.  Clearly he's not Stevens preferred type of big, and is taking some time adapting his sets to include a player of Monroe's abilities.  Hopefully last night was a sign of things to come.

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I’d love to see Monroe after a full training camp to integrate him.

Horford / Theis
Tatum / Monroe
Hayward / Morris
Brown / Smart
Kyrie / Rozier

I’d like one scorer for the bench, but that’s a really exciting team.

Well there's the MLE next year as a possibility to get better at one of the bench positions, but Morris, Monroe, and Rozier make a fairly portent 2nd unit scoring punch.

Perhaps who sits in a tightened playoff rotation is just a matter of matchups though, since none of those are necessarily standouts.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I want to keep Monroe over Baynes/Rozier/Morris in that order , it's all about matchup in playoffs and Monroe can attack the best teams weakest point(Warrior/Rocket/Cavs), Smart for the same reason on defense end, even for those AGGs/Embiids Monroe+AL matchs up better than Baynes+AL, Horford's range really covers his shooting inability to play the inside out game

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I really like the Horford, Theis, Baynes, Monroe options at the 4/5.  I think Theis may turn out to be the keeper among the non-Horford group -- maybe DA can tie him up with an extension (any CBA restrictions on doing this?). 

I wonder if Danny values Baynes or Monroe more -- if I had to guess, I'd say he likes Baynes, but that may change over the next 2 months.  Either way, they may both be difficult to re-sign.  I love the idea that Danny can swing for the fences (Leonard or Davis) or can make smaller moves with his array of young assets.  Outside of Hayward, Brown/Tatum/Rozier remain the key group to watch for the kind of leap that gives the C's another top tier asset. I'd hate to lose Smart -- he will add so much to the roster next year. 

C's may be an awfully enticing place to land for a prized MLE guy, or a role-playing banner chaser.

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I really like the Horford, Theis, Baynes, Monroe options at the 4/5.  I think Theis may turn out to be the keeper among the non-Horford group -- maybe DA can tie him up with an extension (any CBA restrictions on doing this?). 

I wonder if Danny values Baynes or Monroe more -- if I had to guess, I'd say he likes Baynes, but that may change over the next 2 months.  Either way, they may both be difficult to re-sign.  I love the idea that Danny can swing for the fences (Leonard or Davis) or can make smaller moves with his array of young assets.  Outside of Hayward, Brown/Tatum/Rozier remain the key group to watch for the kind of leap that gives the C's another top tier asset. I'd hate to lose Smart -- he will add so much to the roster next year. 

C's may be an awfully enticing place to land for a prized MLE guy, or a role-playing banner chaser.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the prospect of keeping Theis is dicey at best. Even though he is technically a rookie, he was actually only signed as a FA and we don't hold his rights. Since his salary next year is only for $1.38M, we would only be allowed to sign him to 175% of that amount which is $2.4M. While that would be awesome, it probably isn't likely.

Of course we would have the ability to use the taxpayers MLE which will be slightly under $6M, but that is the best we will be able to do. Danny looks to have made a mistake not locking him in for 3 years which would give us full Bird rights.

Keeping Monroe at or below the MLE this off-season might be pretty important in terms of our big man depth in the future. If he'll stay for $6M (125% of his current salary), we would still have the ability to use the MLE if Smart walks. If Smart stays and we use the MLE, we are going to be cutting it VERY close to the luxury tax which Danny will surely try to avoid.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I mentioned this in another thread, but the prospect of keeping Theis is dicey at best. Even though he is technically a rookie, he was actually only signed as a FA and we don't hold his rights. Since his salary next year is only for $1.38M, we would only be allowed to sign him to 175% of that amount which is $2.4M. While that would be awesome, it probably isn't likely.

Of course we would have the ability to use the taxpayers MLE which will be slightly under $6M, but that is the best we will be able to do. Danny looks to have made a mistake not locking him in for 3 years which would give us full Bird rights.

Keeping Monroe at or below the MLE this off-season might be pretty important in terms of our big man depth in the future. If he'll stay for $6M (125% of his current salary), we would still have the ability to use the MLE if Smart walks. If Smart stays and we use the MLE, we are going to be cutting it VERY close to the luxury tax which Danny will surely try to avoid.

Thanks for info -- TP

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Danny looks to have made a mistake not locking him in for 3 years which would give us full Bird rights.

Or, Theis didn’t want to commit to a three year deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Danny looks to have made a mistake not locking him in for 3 years which would give us full Bird rights.

Or, Theis didn’t want to commit to a three year deal.

I agree with that, but he possibly could have been convinced with a little more money. I know we were at the cap so maybe this just wasn't possible. Calling it a 'mistake' is probably too harsh, but I am sure DA would have liked the option of a 3rd year, especially in hindsight.

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

]
Can you explain the part about Theis? I looked at a salaries page http://www.basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics-team-salary/ that indicated he won't even be a free agent this summer. Is it wrong?

I really like Monroe but I think the team prefers Baynes. I doubt both are coming back next year.

The second unit has been very good since the break. Lineups with one big and Morris at the 4 are killng it. Using Monroe as such a big part of the offense really helped free everyone else up to get better shots. It's amazing that we almost beat the top team in the league with off nights from Al and Kyrie
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19