Author Topic: How to approach a lil Wayne argument.  (Read 16913 times)

How to approach a lil Wayne argument.
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
A colleague of mine just tried convincing me that "lil Wayne is the hottest rapper of the last 5 years." I was so disgusted I couldn't respond. :o

He also claimed "all that underground stuff you like, there is a reason they are underground."

I'm literally speechless. Help me out guys, I'll show him this thread.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:59:07 PM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: How to approach a lil Wayne argument.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
The fact that "lit Wayne is the hottest rapper of the last 5 years" came out of his mouth, clearly he rides on the short bus.

There's no helping this soul.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Lil Wayne doesn't even rap. He attempts to sing with a voice synthesizer and he fails miserably at it.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:17:14 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'm at the point where I don't bother wasting my time talking about it. If your friend likes Lil Wayne, you gotta respect it. All the people who truly understand real hip hop know Wayne is wack so why bother make an argument about it?

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »

Offline gjohnson88

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Talk about how the other greatest rappers of all time took their lyrics far more seriously than Wayne.  2pac, Biggie, Nas, and Eminem all had serious lyrics.  Wayne just kind of babbles. 

Lil Wayne is a model of how to successfully market yourself, but is far from a good rapper.  If you think any of the guys above would waste their time with a retarded ass song like that one about the lady cop, your out of touch with how good those guys were. 

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Lil Wayne is so overrated right now. He's a talented rapper, more of a singer (kinda like Ja Rule did, except lil wayne don't love them...)..and his flow and rhyming scheme is pretty good and sometimes pretty funny.

Nowhere near the best rapper in the past 5 years, or even best rapper this year. insert Lupe Fiasco plug now please.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:05:11 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
How to approach a lil Wayne argument:

-Drink about 14 beers so your brain cells are reduced to wayne's level.

Lil Wayne doesn't even rap. He attempts to sing with a voice synthesizer and he fails miserably at it.

He's doing that to fake synthesized "music" so it all fits perfect.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I have recently gained more respect for Weezy than I used to have (which was absolutely none).  He brings a style and a flow that is unlike any other rapper I have ever heard.  He is one of the most creative rappers in the game.  With that said I don't know if I would even put him in the top 10 commercial rappers out right now.  Some of his past albums are the worst that I have ever heard.  His content is so predictable and he is one of the main reasons why hip hop has such a bad name.

Just because Lil Wayne says he is the best rapper does not make it so.  And because of how often he says it it really makes me think much less of him.  But I guess it is that confidence that allows him to be so creative and make a good song every once in a while.  My 2 favorite Weezy songs are:
Dr. Carter
Shooter

They both have great beats and he kind of rips it on Dr. Carter.  I also really like his flow on the A Milli track.  But 90% of his music is straight garbage that people love because the bass is crazy and you can drive around and wake up the neighborhood.  He would get abEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ely torn up by Jay-Z, Nas, Talib, Lupe, Mos Def, Common, AZ, Saigon among many others who he thinks he is much better than.  I would pay money to see any one of those battles.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »

Offline teddykgb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
I'm so incredibly tired of all the "real" hip hop fans you have to tell you about Bun B and all these other underground artists and claim that they're "real" hip hop and someone like Wayne isn't.... because he's popular? because he raps over good beats? because he's making money? I just don't get it.

The guy's album is incredible.  Take away the t-pain stuff like got money, look at tracks like 3 Peat and almost the entire leak album... shoot me down, let the beat build, mrs officer... there are an incredible number of insanely good tracks on tha carter III, especially if you include the stuff from the leak.

Why not just give a guy his due? All these rap arguments about who is the greatest alive and top 5 all time and all that stuff is just garbage, but this counter culture backlash against lil wayne is absurd, he's become such an incredible rapper who puts out such consistent quality, but now everyone's got to be so against him because he's had commercial success, it's outright ridiculous

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
How to approach a lil Wayne argument:

-Drink about 14 beers so your brain cells are reduced to wayne's level.

He's doing that to fake synthesized "music" so it all fits perfect.

You should listen to Jay-Z unplugged.  While you may not like the content (or understand it) it is all live music from a hip hop band (yes they exist) called the roots.  The music is amazing.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My favorite lil wayne song is mrs officer. Kinda like my favorite Ma$e song is Jealous Guys

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
I'm so incredibly tired of all the "real" hip hop fans you have to tell you about Bun B and all these other underground artists and claim that they're "real" hip hop and someone like Wayne isn't.... because he's popular? because he raps over good beats? because he's making money? I just don't get it.

The guy's album is incredible.  Take away the t-pain stuff like got money, look at tracks like 3 Peat and almost the entire leak album... shoot me down, let the beat build, mrs officer... there are an incredible number of insanely good tracks on tha carter III, especially if you include the stuff from the leak.

Why not just give a guy his due? All these rap arguments about who is the greatest alive and top 5 all time and all that stuff is just garbage, but this counter culture backlash against lil wayne is absurd, he's become such an incredible rapper who puts out such consistent quality, but now everyone's got to be so against him because he's had commercial success, it's outright ridiculous

Bun B is talented.  Jay-Z (who has made so much money from hip hop) is incredibly talented.  Ludacris is good as is Busta Rhymes.  They all make a lot of money.  Lil Wayne is simply not so talented.  He is creative but not talented.

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

Well said.  There is a weird backwards aspect to music.  The successful artists gain more haters than respect.  I don't really understand it.  The guy must be doing something right to sell so many albums.  There is definitely a culture that is hard to understand in my opinion.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
A colleague of mine just tried convincing me that "lil Wayne is the hottest rapper of the last 5 years." I was so disgusted I couldn't respond. :o

He also claimed "all that underground stuff you like, there is a reason they are underground."

I'm literally speechless. Help me out guys, I'll show him this thread.

I'm not a Wayne fan at all, but your buddy is probably right in that he is one of the "hottest" rappers out right now.  He's widely played and has a big following, which pretty much seems like the definition of "hot" to me.  i won't knock the guy's rap preferences because some people are really into that club stuff.

Personally, i'm more into artists that change the game.  He can't touch Rza or Nas because they're innovators, but very few - if any - rappers can.  I'm also big into Atmosphere because they almost single-handidly created a whole new genre within rap; however, i wouldn't say that Nas, Rza, or Slug are "hot" right now, and i don't think it's something they necesarilly strive for.

If Wayne can keep his following and dictate the direction that rap goes, then - and only then - would he go from being "hot" to being in the same conversation as the Nas' and Wu's of our time.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline teddykgb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20

Bun B is talented.  Jay-Z (who has made so much money from hip hop) is incredibly talented.  Ludacris is good as is Busta Rhymes.  They all make a lot of money.  Lil Wayne is simply not so talented.  He is creative but not talented.

What makes a rapper talented? When I see a basketball player who can jump through the roof, I know he has talent... a guy with a silky smooth J is talented... this is rap music, there's no physicality to this.

What I know about Wayne is that he's prolific and consistent.  I never hear a Lil Wayne verse on his own albums or anyone else's and end up disappointed.  I probably can't name 5 rappers I can say that about, and Bun B certainly doesn't make that list.  Wayne is incredibly creative, sometimes shockingly creative, and contrary to what someone just posted above, I think this creativity is pushing rap in ways that are new and exciting, especially while Nas makes such an obvious shock value play in trying to name his album what he went for.  Seriously, Nas gets all this credit, but what has he really done? Because he's an angry black man who doesn't rap over kanye beats he's got street cred and is therefore talented?

I don't see music as a talent thing.  It's a personal preference thing, for sure.  I'm not against people who are into underground rap, it just isn't my thing, I listen to hip hop as a musical experience, the beats, lyrics, and sounds just coming together to either please me or repulse me, and lil wayne almost always leaves me wanting more.  Given the tremendous number of people buying his stuff, I'm probably not alone.  Now what does that necessitate that he's not a talented rapper who isn't "real"?  He's out there making music, not spending 36 months between albums (or 5 years, like some artists) and he's bringing it in ways that people love, why not just appreciate that?