Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 354183 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #1710 on: March 03, 2017, 12:46:36 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
The Warriors are in serious trouble of losing the number one seed. They're now only three games up on SAS. However, they've played two more games than GS, and they still have two more games IN San Antonio.

So if San Antonio can win those two extra games that the Warriors have played over them AND beat the Warriors twice in San Antonio, then they will have a tied record with San Antonio having the tiebreaker. Losing homecourt in the WCF could potentially be huge for the Warriors.

If Durant is back and healthy, which is a big if, does it even matter?

Oh, for sure. The 2 seed is a nightmare scenario for the Warriors and presents a much, much more difficult path than the 1 seed.

First off, there's no guarantee that he's even back at all. He's being reevaluated in four weeks, but he's out indefinitely with no timetable for his return. Who knows when he'll actually be back.

But most expect him to be back, but it'll be sometime during the actual playoffs, whether that be the first or second round. But if they fall to the 2nd seed, then things get a whole lot more complicated for them.

While they would still handle Denver easily at the 8th seed, there's a pretty tight race in the 4-7 seed right now with 4 teams (Utah, LAC, Memphis, and OKC) separated by only 1.5 games. While I still think they'd beat Utah and OKC, though in tough first round matchups, they could very well lose to Memphis, who is an absolute nightmare matchup for them and has already beaten them twice this year, and the Clippers, who also present matchup problems for them with Durant out.

I'd go as far as saying this - without KD in the first round, they probably beat Utah in 6 games and OKC in a very tough 6 or 7 game battle. As for the Clippers, that's a 50/50 series for me if the Clippers are actually healthy. I could see it going either way. But I think Memphis pulls the upset if they draw a KD-less Warriors team in the first round. They're just too big and physical for the Warriors, and they're pretty much set up perfectly to defeat them.

And that's just the first round. Dropping to second would mean a second round matchup with Houston, which would be very entertaining and close. And even if they do advance to the WCF, with or without Durant, who still will take awhile to get back into playing shape and rhythm, they could very well lose to a very good Spurs team that has home court advantage.

So here's the comparison:

1 seed gets you - Denver in the first round (easy win), a 2nd round matchup most likely with a Clippers team, who you've handled easily WITH Durant this year, and home court advantage in the WCF.

2 seed gets you - OKC/Memphis/Utah/LAC (ranging from tough out to extremely dangerous first round matchup), a 2nd round matchup with a Rockets team that has beat you at home this year, and no home court advantage in the WCF.

People are sleeping on how devastating dropping to the 2 seed would be for Golden State, especially with much uncertainty about when KD will actually come back.

I  thought the Warriors already secured the 1st seed

« Reply #1711 on: March 03, 2017, 01:25:13 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The Warriors are in serious trouble of losing the number one seed. They're now only three games up on SAS. However, they've played two more games than GS, and they still have two more games IN San Antonio.

So if San Antonio can win those two extra games that the Warriors have played over them AND beat the Warriors twice in San Antonio, then they will have a tied record with San Antonio having the tiebreaker. Losing homecourt in the WCF could potentially be huge for the Warriors.

If Durant is back and healthy, which is a big if, does it even matter?

Oh, for sure. The 2 seed is a nightmare scenario for the Warriors and presents a much, much more difficult path than the 1 seed.

First off, there's no guarantee that he's even back at all. He's being reevaluated in four weeks, but he's out indefinitely with no timetable for his return. Who knows when he'll actually be back.

But most expect him to be back, but it'll be sometime during the actual playoffs, whether that be the first or second round. But if they fall to the 2nd seed, then things get a whole lot more complicated for them.

While they would still handle Denver easily at the 8th seed, there's a pretty tight race in the 4-7 seed right now with 4 teams (Utah, LAC, Memphis, and OKC) separated by only 1.5 games. While I still think they'd beat Utah and OKC, though in tough first round matchups, they could very well lose to Memphis, who is an absolute nightmare matchup for them and has already beaten them twice this year, and the Clippers, who also present matchup problems for them with Durant out.

I'd go as far as saying this - without KD in the first round, they probably beat Utah in 6 games and OKC in a very tough 6 or 7 game battle. As for the Clippers, that's a 50/50 series for me if the Clippers are actually healthy. I could see it going either way. But I think Memphis pulls the upset if they draw a KD-less Warriors team in the first round. They're just too big and physical for the Warriors, and they're pretty much set up perfectly to defeat them.

And that's just the first round. Dropping to second would mean a second round matchup with Houston, which would be very entertaining and close. And even if they do advance to the WCF, with or without Durant, who still will take awhile to get back into playing shape and rhythm, they could very well lose to a very good Spurs team that has home court advantage.

So here's the comparison:

1 seed gets you - Denver in the first round (easy win), a 2nd round matchup most likely with a Clippers team, who you've handled easily WITH Durant this year, and home court advantage in the WCF.

2 seed gets you - OKC/Memphis/Utah/LAC (ranging from tough out to extremely dangerous first round matchup), a 2nd round matchup with a Rockets team that has beat you at home this year, and no home court advantage in the WCF.

People are sleeping on how devastating dropping to the 2 seed would be for Golden State, especially with much uncertainty about when KD will actually come back.

I  thought the Warriors already secured the 1st seed
they secured a playoff seed. the spurs are actually only 2 games behind GSW in the loss column

« Reply #1712 on: March 03, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Anyone else notice Noel isn't starting for Dallas? Pretty weird.

« Reply #1713 on: March 03, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Good points jpotter33.

IMHO Pop could care less about the #1 seed.

« Reply #1714 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #1715 on: March 03, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Dirk Nowitzki to return for 20th season barring 'drastic change'

Hope he does.

Good news.  He's not what he once was, but he's still got some good basketball left in him.  I hope the Mavs rebound next years and get him a final trip to the postseason.

« Reply #1716 on: March 03, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #1717 on: March 03, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I just looked at the last 3 games of Westbrook. Now as great as he is in his last 3 games he has taken 36 shots, 28 shots and 29 shots. Now I know people might say he has no players around him but really? IT last 3 games 20 shots, 21 shots and 23 shots. There are many that feel IT is a ball hog (not me) but just compare it to Westbrook's and get a feel of what it would be like to play with him.

« Reply #1718 on: March 03, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I just looked at the last 3 games of Westbrook. Now as great as he is in his last 3 games he has taken 36 shots, 28 shots and 29 shots. Now I know people might say he has no players around him but really? IT last 3 games 20 shots, 21 shots and 23 shots. There are many that feel IT is a ball hog (not me) but just compare it to Westbrook's and get a feel of what it would be like to play with him.
also if you look at true shooting %, IT is 2nd among point guards behind Lowry; Westbrook is 23rd among point guards. a good analogy between the two players is that Isaiah is a sniper rifle, and Westbrook is a cannon ball.

« Reply #1719 on: March 03, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Lol first the Wizards blew out the Raptors in Toronto, now its the Raptors doing the same to the Wizards in DC. This would be an intriguing series to watch if they matched up in the playoffs.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #1720 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
also if you look at true shooting %, IT is 2nd among point guards behind Lowry; Westbrook is 23rd among point guards. a good analogy between the two players is that Isaiah is a sniper rifle, and Westbrook is a cannon ball.

Good stuff!

« Reply #1721 on: March 03, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

lol TP

« Reply #1722 on: March 03, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Gortat's block was Shaq'tin a fool worthy. lol

« Reply #1723 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I'm so torn on who to root for in this Washington/Toronto game. There's significant benefits and downfalls to each side winning.

P.S. - am I getting a bad feed, or is there a 30 for 30 on the halftime show of the Cavs/Hawks game?

« Reply #1724 on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
I'm so torn on who to root for in this Washington/Toronto game. There's significant benefits and downfalls to each side winning.

P.S. - am I getting a bad feed, or is there a 30 for 30 on the halftime show of the Cavs/Hawks game?

I prefer Raptors winning this one. Wizards is more closer to us at the standings. It would make more separation with their loss. Raptors still have to catch us from losing standpoint.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:54:08 PM by mr. dee »