Author Topic: Fultz (merged threads)  (Read 4123 times)

Re: Why didn’t we go after Fultz when 76ers were giving him away?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Watching Fultz with Orlando he looks like old college Fultz and he still is only 21.

Given how little Orlando gave up surely we could have beaten their bid and developed him as Walker’s eventually replacement.

Because hindsight is always 20/20. There's a reason they were giving him away, at the time people didn't know what was wrong with him and if he would even play again. Of course now it's easy to second quess things.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
There is no way Philly would deal with Boston after the Tatum fiasco and especially for Fultz. Could you imagine the optics if they traded him back to Boston only for him to become the player everyone thought he could be???

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 08:25:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am also guessing about the time Fultz became available that the thinking in the Celtic front office was more like:

"And this is why we traded away the right to draft Fultz so we could draft Tatum. Thank God we dodged that bullet."

Not:

"Oh, Fultz is available, we should go get him."

Re: Why didn’t we go after to Fultz when 76ers were giving him away?
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The answer to the question is quite obvious. At the time he was available, he absolutely sucked. He was being looked at as bad a #1 pick as Anthony Bennett. And you had to pay the guy  $8-12 million a year over the course of his contract for the pleasure of seeing him suck.

The kid still is a horrid shooter with FT% and 3PT% that make early Marcus Smart look like Steph Curry. Danny rightfully steared clear of trying to add Fultz to this team. I don't care where he was drafted, right now he should be looked at as a very marginal prospect at best.

He is shooting 78% from the foul line and 48% from 16ft-3 so really its just a 3pnt problem right now.

He's shot 45FTs (admittedly more than in either of his first two seasons, so it's hard to tell anything about his shooting from the line) and 23 from 16ft-3 (one miss/make changes your shooting % by over 4% at that point), so I'm not exactly ready to say anything about his shooting improving (or not improving)

Sure, my point Nickagenta was overstating the extent of Fultz shooting struggles. He's bad from 3, but he has some off dribble mid range ability.

That said this isn't a guy anybody should be upset the C's didn't trade for. He's been a starter-ish level guy so far this year, but he's  also expensive and at the time looked like a complete bust.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:56:47 PM by keevsnick »

Markelle Fultz "unbusting" ?
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 09:04:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I knew he had a smooth game/bag of tricks but had my doubts on his demeanor/shooting mechanics to ever become a good NBA player/worthy of a high pick.

Well I will be the first one to admit or semi-admit (for now) that Fultz is starting to heat up. Even without a legit 3, reminds me of Shaun Livingstone game

Celtics and 76ers and half the league could be wrong on this one

He does still look lost at times, but the good thing with him in the Magic environment is that he has the freedom to just play and not worry about mistakes.  A luxury he was not given even before he stepped onto the court (pre draft)

At least the Celtics still came out a winner with Tatum and future 1st vs 76ers who got 50 cents on the dollar (or less) in all of this.  Their GM did a brutal job

Fultz recent highlight vs Wizards.  Racking up points, rebounds, steals.  3 pt shooting is not reliable at the moment but jumper looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImUE_rFQ4SA

Re: Markelle Fultz "unbusting" ?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 09:20:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He would have to make a pretty big leap for the Celtics to look be wrong. Tatum and Langford, or Fultz? Not a tough call.

I’m glad to see him beginning to turn a corner, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

He would have to make a pretty big leap for the Celtics to look be wrong. Tatum and Langford, or Fultz? Not a tough call.

Glad to see him beginning to turn a corner for a team not called the Sixers. 😉

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Two points:

1. As a #1 choice, he gets 9.7M this year and 12.3M next year, so the rookie bargain thing isn't really in play.

2. While he's been scoring more consistently for the last two weeks, and is a capable passer, he is still a horrendous 3 pt shooter and free throw shooter. That makes it almost impossible to be an efficient player in the NBA. Unless he makes significant additional progress, he still isn't an NBA starter, much less a possible star.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364

yeah. Fultz just had his first 20pt game as a career high. Tatum is averaging 20ppg this year. So hard to say ainge was wrong :o

now, Fultz could become a solid player and its not tough to wonder ifthe 76ers gave up on him too early

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 09:43:37 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
the bigger question is the player we got in the trade with the Sixers...a certain Romeo Langford IS the current Busts in the conversation.

Ofcourse its still very early but say we never really get to see what we have in Langford due to injury/ no playing opportunitites given and he just leaves in 3 yrs...then we can still say i think Boston made out well against the Sixers.

and oh by the way...Markelle to me IS still a busts considering where he was picked at and his salary...the only way he can UNbusts himself is if all of a sudden he ave. more points than Tatum and becomes a focal p ala ben Simmons in the Magic offensive schemes.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Markelle Fultz was the #1 pick in a heavy draft, there's no way to remove the bust title.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 10:09:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
the bigger question is the player we got in the trade with the Sixers...a certain Romeo Langford IS the current Busts in the conversation.

Ofcourse its still very early but say we never really get to see what we have in Langford due to injury/ no playing opportunitites given and he just leaves in 3 yrs...then we can still say i think Boston made out well against the Sixers.

and oh by the way...Markelle to me IS still a busts considering where he was picked at and his salary...the only way he can UNbusts himself is if all of a sudden he ave. more points than Tatum and becomes a focal p ala ben Simmons in the Magic offensive schemes.
Langford is as much a bust as Blake Griffin, Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons and Zion Williamson were/are their first year.

Simply because he has been hurt, hasn't played and not been seen by you or the rest of the fandom, does not make him a bust. It simply means, we, as fans, can't gauge how good he is yet because we haven't seen him.

Simply put, you haven't a clue how good he is, so it's pretty premature to run around calling him a bust.