Author Topic: What is Zicic's floor and ceiling?  (Read 20947 times)

Re: What is Zicic's floor and ceiling?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I could see him being a Gortat at the very best, but I have tempered expectations.  2nd round stashes tend to not amount to much, so obviously his floor would be bench-warmer.

If he can reach that Gortat potential though, it would be yuuuuge for the Celtics
Luckily he isn't a second round stash.

Heh, I completely forgot that he was drafted in the 20's of round 1.  Still, my point remains; guys drafted outside of the lottery are pretty prone to hardly ever showing up.  I don't think it is unfair to say that his floor is to be a complete nonfactor
So what do you think about the multiple reports suggesting he'd be ~10 if he had entered the draft this year?

Can you provide links to these reports? 

The only people I've heard suggest this are posters on this board.
There's a Sporting News article earlier this year that says a GM told the author that he would be a lottery pick, and probably a top 10 pick in the '17 draft, even though it's a strong draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-boston-celtics-ante-zizic-guerschon-yabusele-carmelo-anthony/1kiivyhdzmzd31t0o9d4imaldn

Now to be fair just because one GM said it doesn't mean its true. I mean one GM thought Anthony Bennett was worth the #1 pick. So the hype around here saying "Ante Zizic is worth a top ten pick" is kind of ridiculous, but it does show you his stock has risen since last year. Its gone from "He can probably be an energy big guy" to "He will at least be a rotational big, maybe a start long term."

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
He should be a good energy big right away, who rebounds runs hard in transition, is a pretty good roll man. Watch his highlights - he shows very good body control and pace in traffic; quick to dunk, knows where the other players are, doesn't mind contact at all.

So hard to guess his ceiling without seeing him play in the league. Maybe a taller, fitter Jared Sullinger with a better shot who doesn't get his own shot blocked as frequently?

Welcome to Celticsblog and here is your first TP!

Sounds like a pretty good breakdown of what we can expect. I am excited to see Zizic get some minutes right away.

Most highlight films show him shooting put backs or dunks. Those shots will unlikely be blocked. However, if he consistently attempts to shoot over other big men while he's close to the basket, he'll get a lot of his shots blocked.

Good overall analysis...welcome to the Celticsblog. TP

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I could see him being a Gortat at the very best, but I have tempered expectations.  2nd round stashes tend to not amount to much, so obviously his floor would be bench-warmer.

If he can reach that Gortat potential though, it would be yuuuuge for the Celtics

Heh, I completely forgot that he was drafted in the 20's of round 1.  Still, my point remains; guys drafted outside of the lottery are pretty prone to hardly ever showing up.  I don't think it is unfair to say that his floor is to be a complete nonfactor
So what do you think about the multiple reports suggesting he'd be ~10 if he had entered the draft this year?

There's a Sporting News article earlier this year that says a GM told the author that he would be a lottery pick, and probably a top 10 pick in the '17 draft, even though it's a strong draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-boston-celtics-ante-zizic-guerschon-yabusele-carmelo-anthony/1kiivyhdzmzd31t0o9d4imaldn

Now to be fair just because one GM said it doesn't mean its true. I mean one GM thought Anthony Bennett was worth the #1 pick. So the hype around here saying "Ante Zizic is worth a top ten pick" is kind of ridiculous, but it does show you his stock has risen since last year. Its gone from "He can probably be an energy big guy" to "He will at least be a rotational big, maybe a start long term."
There may be only one quote of him being a top 10 pick (or perhaps there are others, I don't know), but there are numerous quotes from scouts and NBA analysts about how impressive Zizic is.

If you're not optimistic about Zizc helping us in the future, then you're just looking for a reason to be pessimistic. Almost everything we've seen out of this kid says he can play in the nba. Considering the sad sack rotation of big men we've had, Zizic being part of our rotation isn't a stretch at all.

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On a a related note, the Z-train is coming and you better believe it!

“July 1 just has to roll over on the calendar, and we’ll sign him,” [Austin] Ainge said. “He wants to be here, and we want him here.”

And from the same article, more relevant to the topic at hand:

Blatt said Zizic reminds him of Oklahoma City Thunder big man Steven Adams, adding that his work ethic would allow him to accomplish more than many imagined.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/03/13/celtics-draftee-ante-zizic-asserts-ready-for-nba/L5LEyaJtBIGLjEuxTxnenI/story.html
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't think people remember Sabonis that well..... I'd be happy if Zizic turns out half as good as Sabonis but their play style is completely different.
Evidently not. Sabonis is a Hall of Famer, one of FIBA's 50 greatest players, and a guy who showed up to the NBA at the age of 31(!) and held his own for 7(!!) more seasons. If Ante Zizic ends up a half the player that Sabonis was at the age of 33, this pick will probably be considered a success.

And yes, the style of play was completely different. Sabonis was one of the greatest passing big men in the game, a shooter and a superior high post presence. Not much in common with Zizic, who seems like a banger that loves doing the dirty work around the rim (incidentally, precisely what the doctor ordered here in Boston).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Floor- Perk
Ceiling-Adams

IMO he will be a lesser Steven Adams

Ceiling- steven Adams with a jump shot
Floor- Semih

Floor:  Greg Kite

Ceiling:  Bill Laimbeer if he develops a consistent outside shot.

Semih "Pro" Erden?  Greg Kite?  Perk?  Steven Adams?  Oh boy (sarcasm) ::)!  Someone set aside a plaque for him in Springfield RIGHT NOW (sarcasm) ::)!
Steven Adams would be an absolutely delightful result for the #23 pick in the draft. I'd be ecstatic if he could give us that.

Give us what, exactly?  I've never understood the love for Steven Adams :-\.

11p 8r per game is pretry good for 23rd pick.....

if we can get a double double from Zizizc eventually on a consistent basis i will be tickled pink!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

“July 1 just has to roll over on the calendar, and we’ll sign him,” [Austin] Ainge said. “He wants to be here, and we want him here.”

Blatt said Zizic reminds him of Oklahoma City Thunder big man Steven Adams, adding that his work ethic would allow him to accomplish more than many imagined.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/03/13/celtics-draftee-ante-zizic-asserts-ready-for-nba/L5LEyaJtBIGLjEuxTxnenI/story.html

Adams is probably the most logical comp, although Ante likely has a ways to go until he can match Adams on defense.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Adams is probably the most logical comp, although Ante likely has a ways to go until he can match Adams on defense.
Probably. Although in the Brad S version of high school defense that we're trotting out right now he will likely be no worse than other bigs in the overall team "scheme". I anticipate that he'll have a bit of a harder time challenging shots (he's not a leaper, and he'll have to face a lot higher release points in the NBA), but this is something that can be compensated with positioning and anticipation.

I'm super pumped about having him next season, I think he'll be useful right away, and if he pans out he can start for us for a long time.

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
He should be a good energy big right away, who rebounds runs hard in transition, is a pretty good roll man. Watch his highlights - he shows very good body control and pace in traffic; quick to dunk, knows where the other players are, doesn't mind contact at all.

So hard to guess his ceiling without seeing him play in the league. Maybe a taller, fitter Jared Sullinger with a better shot who doesn't get his own shot blocked as frequently?

Welcome to Celticsblog and here is your first TP!

Sounds like a pretty good breakdown of what we can expect. I am excited to see Zizic get some minutes right away.

Most highlight films show him shooting put backs or dunks. Those shots will unlikely be blocked. However, if he consistently attempts to shoot over other big men while he's close to the basket, he'll get a lot of his shots blocked.

Good overall analysis...welcome to the Celticsblog. TP

He'll get fouled a lot and go the line where is is a very good foul shooter.  ;)

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
I watched Zizic a lot this year in Euroleague so here is my two cents:

Pros:
  • Great offensive rebounder, always active with good motor
  • Good work ethic according to Blatt
  • Has a quick first jump and good timing
  • Quick to start dribble (he dribbled past and dunked over Anthony Randolph)
  • Started to develop a cute little hook
  • Good free throw shooter, might develop an outside shot

Cons:
  • Laterally slow (not terribly slow but P&R defense will be an issue)
  • Not great, average measurements afaik (wingspan etc)
  • Limited in offense, lives mostly with P&R finishes and offensive rebounds.
    Sometimes has quick, surprising moves though, as I mentioned in Pros.

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Floor - Jonas Valanciunas

Ceiling - Marc Gasol before he became a 3pt shooter or Marcin Gortat

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Keith smith and Kevin O'Connor have both said it.

http://www.csnne.com/video/oconnor-ante-zizic-would-be-top-10-pick-year
http://www.celtics-direct.com/single-post/2017/02/23/Scouts-Believe-Ante-Zizic-Would-Have-Been-A-Top-10-Pick-This-Year

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I watched Zizic a lot this year in Euroleague so here is my two cents:

Pros:
  • Great offensive rebounder, always active with good motor
  • Good work ethic according to Blatt
  • Has a quick first jump and good timing
  • Quick to start dribble (he dribbled past and dunked over Anthony Randolph)
  • Started to develop a cute little hook
  • Good free throw shooter, might develop an outside shot

Cons:
  • Laterally slow (not terribly slow but P&R defense will be an issue)
  • Not great, average measurements afaik (wingspan etc)
  • Limited in offense, lives mostly with P&R finishes and offensive rebounds.
    Sometimes has quick, surprising moves though, as I mentioned in Pros.

Has a 9'3" standing reach and good wingspan. Really long arms. I think his measures are an asset.

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Will he play in summer league?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think people remember Sabonis that well..... I'd be happy if Zizic turns out half as good as Sabonis but their play style is completely different.
Evidently not. Sabonis is a Hall of Famer, one of FIBA's 50 greatest players, and a guy who showed up to the NBA at the age of 31(!) and held his own for 7(!!) more seasons. If Ante Zizic ends up a half the player that Sabonis was at the age of 33, this pick will probably be considered a success.

And yes, the style of play was completely different. Sabonis was one of the greatest passing big men in the game, a shooter and a superior high post presence. Not much in common with Zizic, who seems like a banger that loves doing the dirty work around the rim (incidentally, precisely what the doctor ordered here in Boston).

Banger, that's the word I was looking for to define Zizic opposing Sabonis. TP