Author Topic: Should the NBA fine Trey Young for running back drawing foul move?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7F2C2BIvqQ

This is next level if you ask me.  A player chases him around a screen and instead of progressing forward, Young not only stops. But jumps backwards, like a fadeaway right onto his defender

I also hate Kyle Lowly or Jimmy Butler going to the basket full steam, and if a player is there to try to guard it..... Lowry or Butler literally rams into them, flaling their arms for the calls

What can the league do about players trying to "bait" others into these type of foul calls?   Up and unders are one thing..... But these type of foul chasing is not even what I would call basketball anymore

Re: Should the NBA fine Trey Young for running back drawing foul move?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:12:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Malik Beasley imitating Trey Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hudKtek0FqA

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
fine? This has become a standard NBA move

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The league shouldn't fine Young simply because he's exploiting a glitch in the matrix.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If a player stops and goes straight up for a shot, it's a defensive foul.   If they jump backwards into the defender, it is either an offensive foul or a no-call. 

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
fine? This has become a standard NBA move

ridiculous if you ask me.  Instead of playing the game the right way,  just trying to look for a bailout or and one

In that Lowry example,  he will literally ram into a player that is not even that close to the basket, to try to draw a whistle

Its like he gets high when this happens.  Its terrible

Spoelstra last night was mocking him.  Spoelstra dislikes Lowry antics

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
This is such a bad call.  Earlier in the year Jaylen was dribbling across half court and slowed down to let the defender run into him and it was called as an offensive foul....  Trae Young literally jumps back into the player and he gets the call.  It's very clearly an offensive foul, the only problem is if he didn't get this call he'd lose out on 4-5 free throws a game.

When it was called an offensive foul on Jaylen, it was crazy...  I think slowing down is way more of a natural basketball move to protect your dribble, but the fact that Trae gets this call shows how incompetent the officiating is in the league.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The league shouldn't fine Young simply because he's exploiting a glitch in the matrix.

It should be called an offensive foul.   The problem is, the refs are not looking for "trickery" and trying to call a clean game

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 11:21:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

It should be called an offensive foul.   The problem is, the refs are not looking for "trickery" and trying to call a clean game

It's something the league needs to instill in the referees.  That if Young is backing into the defender and initiating the contact, then its an offensive foul.  Make it a point of emphasis.  If they start calling offensive fouls on Young, it should discourage the practice.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 11:22:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

It's something the league needs to instill in the referees.  That if Young is backing into the defender and initiating the contact, then its an offensive foul.  Make it a point of emphasis.  If they start calling offensive fouls on Young, it should discourage the practice.
True

Refs also need to do some pre game prepping

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:11 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I hate this type of play.

But I also wish Tatum and Brown learned to earn a few more cheap free throws by doing things like this. It would help the team offensive lulls and their scoring numbers greatly.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I hate this type of play.

But I also wish Tatum and Brown learned to earn a few more cheap free throws by doing things like this. It would help the team offensive lulls and their scoring numbers greatly.

Right -- foul hunting is obnoxious.  There's a reason that opposing fans tended to hate Paul Pierce because of his tendency to force contact and get to the line.

But as long as the NBA refs call that stuff and reward players for doing it (see, e.g. James Harden, Joel Embiid, LeBron, etc), it's necessary to have your star players do that too in order to be able to keep up.

Foul hunting is one of the biggest remaining things missing from Tatum and Brown's games.  Neither gets to the line often enough or consistently enough.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 02:50:00 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I want to see NO call whenever the offensive player abuse the rules to get a foul. Jumping forward after 3 is just the same IMO

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 03:29:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I hate watching players just playing to get fouled. it's some weak assed basketball.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I want to see NO call whenever the offensive player abuse the rules to get a foul. Jumping forward after 3 is just the same IMO

and Jaylen can't get a call last night with a guy coming into his landing space. I guess he has to jump sideways into the man and flail his arms and jerk his head back like he was just shot in the head. Not fun stuff to watch. Can't we just play ball?