Author Topic: Tommy Heinsohn the player  (Read 2742 times)

Tommy Heinsohn the player
« on: December 26, 2010, 01:26:28 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Unfortunately I never got to see the guy play.  I am such a huge fan of his... I've learned more about basketball from him than anyone.  Not only he is a brilliant basketball mind, he is articulate, insightful, and entertaining in expression.
I'd love to hear about Tommy the player.  Fill me in... strengths, weaknesses, type of game, style of play, opinions.   Thanks.

dys

Re: Tommy Heinsohn the player
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Think jump hooks and rings.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:39:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
hard nosed, strong, eye was constantly in the rim, hot temper.

I asked him once on CSNNE if there was a player that reminded him of himself, they couldn't think of anybody currently. If three's existed he would have taken them...

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Great offensive rebounder.....went to hoop strong with hook or other weapons....had to rest often due to cigarettes...unbelievable clutch.....retired too young

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's disgusting that his entire wikipedia entry related to his playing career is as follows:

In 1956, Heinsohn was chosen as the Boston Celtics 'regional', or 'territorial', draft pick. In his first season, Heinsohn played in an NBA All-Star Game, was named the NBA Rookie of the Year, and won his first championship ring. He was part of a Celtics squad that won eight NBA titles in nine years, including eight in a row between 1959 and 1966. In NBA history, only teammates Bill Russell and Sam Jones won more championship rings during their playing careers. During his playing career, Heinsohn was named to six All-Star teams. On the day his teammate and fellow Holy Cross Crusader Bob Cousy retired, Heinsohn scored his 10,000th career point. His number 15 was retired by the Celtics in 1965.

No mention of Tommy pouring in 37 points in Game 7 of the NBA Finals to win the franchise's first title?

This is a pretty good synopsis of Tommy's career and playing style:

http://www.nba.com/history/players/heinsohn_bio.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes