Poll

Which path would you prefer?

Re-Sign Kyrie + Trade For AD
79 (59.8%)
Re-Sign Kyrie, Don't Trade For AD & Simply Add Depth Or Moderate Upgrades Using Picks + MLE
2 (1.5%)
Let Kyrie Walk, But You Still Trade For AD & Add Depth Or Moderate Upgrades Using Picks + MLE
17 (12.9%)
Let Kyrie Walk, Don't Trade For AD & Simply Build Around The Jays + Young Core + Both Horford, Hayward
32 (24.2%)
Full On Rebuild And Tank, Baby! (Go Crazy)
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Poll: There's Pretty Much Five Paths From Here. Which Path Would You Prefer?  (Read 11064 times)

RazzelnoDazzel

I’m finally okay with trading Kyrie and Hayward and getting AD.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
For those who want a Kyrie/Anthony Davis future, make sure to watch the replay of Houston (point guard dominant) losing to Golden State (ball movement offense) in Game 6 tonite in the Western semis. If you want to play like Houston plays, go all in with Irving. Celtics will be good, but will not get over the hump, just like the Rockets. Celts would have to re-tool the roster and surround Irving with complimentary players. Right now, we have a team full of guys that play best one way and a point guard who will only play his way. Better get a new coach too - Coach Stevens system will not work with Irving. I'm afraid Danny would actually sacrifice Stevens if it was the only way he could re-sign Kyrie Irving. I hope Ainge is not that blind.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
For those who want a Kyrie/Anthony Davis future, make sure to watch the replay of Houston (point guard dominant) losing to Golden State (ball movement offense) in Game 6 tonite in the Western semis. If you want to play like Houston plays, go all in with Irving. Celtics will be good, but will not get over the hump, just like the Rockets. Celts would have to re-tool the roster and surround Irving with complimentary players. Right now, we have a team full of guys that play best one way and a point guard who will only play his way. Better get a new coach too - Coach Stevens system will not work with Irving. I'm afraid Danny would actually sacrifice Stevens if it meant re-signing Kyrie.
I agree. If Kyrie returns, they need to build their entire team around him and as we just saw, the present roster won't get it done.  I wouldn't sign him unless he agrees to 3 years + a team option. But these guys all want to go year to year right now, so I just don't see this happening.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
For those who want a Kyrie/Anthony Davis future, make sure to watch the replay of Houston (point guard dominant) losing to Golden State (ball movement offense) in Game 6 tonite in the Western semis. If you want to play like Houston plays, go all in with Irving. Celtics will be good, but will not get over the hump, just like the Rockets. Celts would have to re-tool the roster and surround Irving with complimentary players. Right now, we have a team full of guys that play best one way and a point guard who will only play his way. Better get a new coach too - Coach Stevens system will not work with Irving. I'm afraid Danny would actually sacrifice Stevens if it was the only way he could re-sign Kyrie Irving. I hope Ainge is not that blind.

Do we have a Steph Curry or Klay Thompson on the team? Do we even have a Draymond Green?

Kyrie doesn't have nearly the FGA that Harden does, neither the touches. He for sure had an awful series, but step into reality a bit.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Do we have a Steph Curry or Klay Thompson on the team? Do we even have a Draymond Green?

Kyrie doesn't have nearly the FGA that Harden does, neither the touches. He for sure had an awful series, but step into reality a bit.

Yes we do. Tatum and Brown, both future stars. Hayward will return to form with time and the ball in his hands. Horford is easily as good as Green. WE need some additional help, but not in the form of an Irving-led team. If you still believe in Kyrie after what we just witnessed, I'd have to question your view of reality.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Well, what I want is a trade for AD and let Kyrie leave, but I'm willing to compromise on the Kyrie thing if it's absolutely necessary to keep Davis for more than a year.

Ideally, I would like to keep Al Horford through all of this.

Yeah, re-sign Kyrie, get AD and give the team one season to gell. If not, ship out Irving, at least that way we get something in return. He’ll be tradable, he’s perfect on a team like the Knicks where he can sell tickets and shirts on a crappy team. Go the Carmelo route and good riddance.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

If Ainge did this, I would be more than fine with it.

Like Chris Forsberg mentions in his recent article on NBC SportsBoston.com, for those of you who want Kyrie gone, be careful what you wish for
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/careful-what-you-wish-kyrie-irving-celtics-fans

Losing a special talent like Kyrie would be a FAR bigger blow than losing a mediocre NBA coach with a college basketball mindset like Stevens.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well, what I want is a trade for AD and let Kyrie leave, but I'm willing to compromise on the Kyrie thing if it's absolutely necessary to keep Davis for more than a year.

I don't think Horford is going anywhere. He would actually benefit the most from an AD trade.

I also think though in addition to Davis, we need someone with some attitude. This team is missing a chip on it's shoulder and we need someone like that (sorta like a Patrick Beverly type.) Someone who is not afraid to get physical and in the team's face, if need be.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think Horford is going anywhere. He would actually benefit the most from an AD trade.

I also think though in addition to Davis, we need someone with some attitude. This team is missing a chip on it's shoulder and we need someone like that (sorta like a Patrick Beverly type.) Someone who is not afraid to get physical and in the team's face, if need be.

Yeah I expect Horford to stay. And I'd love acquiring someone like Beverley using the MLE, especially if Smart happens to be in a potential AD trade. But even if we don't trade for AD, I'd love to add Beverley to this team and have him + Smart wreak havoc lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
resign Irving and trade for AD is not as simple as you think

I would bet that this situation also means....bye to CBS. And other key roster changes

CBS has too many habits, zone D structure, find the open man style coaching that Irving doesn't seem fond of

he rather play in a more "freestyle" culture....like the Rockets employ

Irving = Alpha 1
AD = Alpha 2

and rest of the roster consisting of solid role players .... just like he  was used to when with the Cavs

Can't see Danny catering to Irving like this

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Let Kyrie walk.

Trade for Davis.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Gary Washburn has a Globe article referenced on twitter where he says Stevens lost young players like Tatum and Brown and Rozier early when he made Hayward the starter the beginning of the season without any pre-season competition. He also says the Celtics lack experienced NBA coaches on their staff --ex-NBA players. And that Ainge has the same problem, too. Stevens has too many Butler types on his staff. Not enough NBA types. McCarty left last year and Strawberry leaving now.

I noticed pre-season Stevens spent more time on the 14th and 15th player cuts than deciding who was starting. There was no competition, and the projected starters had little time playing as a unit pre-season. I thought then it looked like a case of playing the money. That's common in sports. It didn't go over well with some of the young players who carried the team to the finals against the Cavs last year.

It looks like Ainge has some real problems with the organization as well as the players. He is going to have to get some ex-NBA players as assistant coaches and front office types.

I'm surprised Washburn was so frank. When you have underachievement problems like the Celtics are having, the problem is usually at the top of the organization--in the management.

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Ultimately I chose option 3. I see a  more palatable off-season path floating around by letting Kyrie, Morris and Rozier walk and chasing Kemba with max dollars, sign Rondo and let Semi take over the back up PF role.

Kemba, Hayward, Brown, Horford and AD starting... with Smart, Semi, Rondo, Baynes and Rob off the bench can do damage

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Ultimately I chose option 3. I see a  more palatable off-season path floating around by letting Kyrie, Morris and Rozier walk and chasing Kemba with max dollars, sign Rondo and let Semi take over the back up PF role.

Kemba, Hayward, Brown, Horford and AD starting... with Smart, Semi, Rondo, Baynes and Rob off the bench can do damage

The Celtics do not have the cap space to sign a max free agent.  A sign and trade is the only way they could acquire Kemba.  At that point they would need to send out enough in salary for the trade to be cap compliant.  The roster you outlined isn't an option.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Keep Kyrie. Trade for AD. Surround them with veteran players that know their roles. I’m not sure what the cost for AD will be but their replacements should be experienced players. Pray Hayward comes close to his Utah form.