Author Topic: Is Siakam better than Tatum?  (Read 7554 times)

Re: Is Siakam better than Tatum?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Impressive numbers. it will not surprise me if he is one of those guys who have one good season before going back to being mediocre.
Tatum has been good for a while. i guess we will have to wait and see. 

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 09:07:04 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Siakam is better right now. I'm a big fan of his game. If Tatum lives up to his potential it won't even be close though. Siakam is entering his prime right now. Tatum is years away from his.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:22:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it depends what a team needs.

On a team lacking offense or spacing, Siakam would probably struggle to stand out at all on that end.

On a team without a good defensive framework, Tatum might seem like an empty calories scorer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Siakam  is a better role player than Tatum. He would probably flourish here. But you don’t build a team around him. Tatum has shown enough promise that you would try to build a team around him featured as your top 1 or 2nd scorer. Although I am less confident of that prediction based on his play this season.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 09:36:32 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
No.

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Siakam is a bum.

No one focuses on guarding him and that is the only reason he puts up a few numbers. He scores garbage points and has a single move, that spin around. If team actually gameplanned for him he would be completely useless.

Look at his number when he is guarded by a respectable defender.

Eho even guarded him in that wizards game?

There is no one. No one. NO ONE whould would pick Siakam ahead of Tatum right now. Not even Siakam.

With all due respect, if we are just talking the present instead of future potential, almost every GM in the league would agree that Siakam has been better this year, and it isn't that close. Siakam is one of the top 10 defenders in the league. Just because his offense isn't as impressive doesn't really matter much. He gets it done, and fits into his team's offense perfectly. He never checks out mentally. Sometimes Tatum does.

I think some of the Tatum hype is deserved, but I remain unconvinced he'll be a superstar. He is a below average passer, has no left hand, and frequently does not play with intensity. Those things need to change for him to become what fans think he is. There is a 4 year age gap here, so Tatum is far more valuable, but he just isn't as good right now.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I go with Tatum for his pure shooting ability

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Siakam is a monster and I wish we had him here.  Tatum has more talent, but Siakam is doing better at getting the most of his so far.  Long-term I take Tatum but if I had to decide just for this year, no long-term consideration, it's a really tough call and would be based more on team needs.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
think that's a pretty casual dismissal of the improvement he's made year by year. His shooting, efficiency and general offence takes big strides every year.

I replied above to his comments.  BTW its offense, not offence in basketball.

There is no difference in meaning between offence and offense. They're exactly the same in all their definitions. The difference is that offense is the preferred spelling in American English, while offence is preferred in British, Indian, Canadian, and Australian English. Which by the way adds up to a LOT more people.

Given the number of international posters on here I think it would give your posts a bit more weight if you avoid criticizing peoples spelling and grammar. Unless of course you just like being salty, in which case, have at it. :-) 

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Siakam is better right now. I'm a big fan of his game. If Tatum lives up to his potential it won't even be close though. Siakam is entering his prime right now. Tatum is years away from his.

You must be jokin

Siakam is a black hole when things become tough

Tatum is better

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Siakam never really thrived until he had Leonard.   Tatum was a able to put up his numbers as a second and third option, sometimes first last year.   One can't say that of Siakam.    As a number one option he would wither and fail.  He really benefits from who is around him.   He also does not have a solid play off record under his belt.   Didn't most of the teams he has played on get swept in the playoffs can't say that for Tatum?  Playoff are "Tatum Time" thus far for Siakam they have been "Early Vacation Time".

I think if you asked around you would be in the minority thinking Siakam is better.   Don't be shocked if you ask questions and the answer do not line up with your expectations.  This is Celticsstrong not Raptorsaremysecondfavoriteteamblog.....
Leonard has nothing to do with it.  Leonard is one of my favorite players in the league and even I admit that he makes nobody better.  In fact he makes guys like Lowry worse.  Siakam just had 44 when Kawhi didn’t dress. 
I’d go with Tatum being better, but i really like Siakam for what he does.  He has tons of hustle and positive energy and vibes which is great for a team.  And despite Siakam being older, don’t rule out that he may improve more than Tatum due to the fact that he’s just learning the game.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 10:34:04 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Siakam is a bum.

No one focuses on guarding him and that is the only reason he puts up a few numbers. He scores garbage points and has a single move, that spin around. If team actually gameplanned for him he would be completely useless.

There is no one. No one. NO ONE whould would pick Siakam ahead of Tatum right now. Not even Siakam.

With all due respect, if we are just talking the present instead of future potential, almost every GM in the league would agree that Siakam has been better this year, and it isn't that close. Siakam is one of the top 10 defenders in the league. Just because his offense isn't as impressive doesn't really matter much. He gets it done, and fits into his team's offense perfectly. He never checks out mentally. Sometimes Tatum does.

I think some of the Tatum hype is deserved, but I remain unconvinced he'll be a superstar. He is a below average passer, has no left hand, and frequently does not play with intensity. Those things need to change for him to become what fans think he is. There is a 4 year age gap here, so Tatum is far more valuable, but he just isn't as good right now.

Just on the now?

Tatum can take over a game offensively, siakam cannot

Tatum is younger.

Tatum is a harder player to replace.

I dont see anyone taking siakam over tatum right now.

Tatum is the better shooter, and equal rebounder, slighty worse passer(cause he gets passes not has to make them), turns ball over less, shoulders more offensive responsibility and is 4 years younger

Tatums defense rating is 103.2 with a net rating of 8.8

Siakams is 104 with a net of 10.

Siakam has a little better offensive rating due to tatums slow start to season and playing away from basket more and creating his own offense more.

If we go from january first tatum has a net rating of 10 with a ofdensive rating of 115.

Siakam has a 114 offensive rating and a net rating of 9

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:43:11 AM by Silky »

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Siakam is a bum.

Just on the now?

Tatum can take over a game offensively, siakam cannot

Tatum is younger.

Tatum is a harder player to replace.

I dont see anyone taking siakam over tatum right now.

Tatum is the better shooter, and equal rebounder, slighty worse passer(cause he gets passes not has to make them), turns ball over less, shoulders more offensive responsibility and is 4 years younger

But isn't this supposed to be the #ballmovement team?

Also noticed you didn't say anything about defense.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 11:12:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tatum. I do like Siakam he has stepped up
 But don't know if he will sustain it or improve more.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Tatum will get stronger and he was durable even at 19.They have been working on his passing Theis seems his favorite.
Tatum is 22 pounds lighter ,much better free throw shooter 84% career, 2018/19 86% .Thats important stat end of game. Siakum career 73% and 2018/19 79%.Siacum shoot 65% in playoffs Tatum shot 84.5%in playoffs.
Simple question close game who do you want shooting and who do you want on the line.
Siakum has the rebound advantage  at 7 to Tatums 6.3
 assists 2.6 to 1.7-jason turns it over less and has less personal fouls and more blocks same steals.