Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 956715 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3510 on: May 20, 2023, 03:37:33 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Saw Junkhead a couple of weeks ago. Very fun stop motion film - if you remember the old music videos from the band Tool, it’s a fairly similar aesthetic.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #3511 on: July 06, 2023, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
No Hard Feelings - it's a really good movie if you are looking for a light hearted comedy

Flash- I liked it... it's not perfect but it's entertaining

Guardians of the Galaxy 3- I really enjoyed this too. Had me a little emotional a few times. Lol

Champions- Woody Harrelson basketball comedy. The family watched and everyone enjoyed.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3512 on: July 06, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

It was good entertainment.

« Reply #3513 on: July 06, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Things I've seen recently:

Flash:  I really enjoyed it.  I'm somewhat shocked that it tanked.  In my opinion, it's one of DC's best

Across the Spider-verse:  It was good, but I'm not sure that it was a finished movie, despite being too long in my opinion.  I guess that's the problem with being the middle movie in a trilogy, but I thought that aspect could have been better done

Elemental:  Meh.  It didn't have the charm of most Pixar movies, and I thought the way they handled weighty emotional issues was a little more trite than normal

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3514 on: July 06, 2023, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Flash:  I really enjoyed it.  I'm somewhat shocked that it tanked.  In my opinion, it's one of DC's best

Across the Spider-verse:  It was good, but I'm not sure that it was a finished movie, despite being too long in my opinion.  I guess that's the problem with being the middle movie in a trilogy, but I thought that aspect could have been better done

Elemental:  Meh.  It didn't have the charm of most Pixar movies, and I thought the way they handled weighty emotional issues was a little more trite than normal

I'm surprised is tanked too. But maybe it's more of a movie industry thing, not a Flash/DC studio's thing.  I think Hollywood has to take a different approach. Theaters may never be ready for multiple releases every week again. Films that have done well, post pandemic, seem to compete with nothing for weeks.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3515 on: July 06, 2023, 02:28:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I'm surprised is tanked too. But maybe it's more of a movie industry thing, not a Flash/DC studio's thing.  I think Hollywood has to take a different approach. Theaters may never be ready for multiple releases every week again. Films that have done well, post pandemic, seem to compete with nothing for weeks.

I thought the choice of the lead actor had a lot to with it after all the bad press / criminal activity he has been involved with.

More and more people seem to be moving from movies & companies that are employing these folks.

So I saw it less as a verdict on the film itself but a verdict on the lead actor. I forget his name.

« Reply #3516 on: July 06, 2023, 02:42:39 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

I thought the choice of the lead actor had a lot to with it after all the bad press / criminal activity he has been involved with.

More and more people seem to be moving from movies & companies that are employing these folks.

So I saw it less as a verdict on the film itself but a verdict on the lead actor. I forget his name.

Ezra Miller. Yeah, his actions really ticked off a lot of demographics.

Some folks already disliked him due to his nonbinary  gender status. And the violence against women, b&e charges, and grooming accusations offended many more.

He really derailed a pretty good film, which is a shame.

That and it's become cool to bash on DC, which is admittedly largely DC's own fault.

So in the end we received a lame duck movie pending the James Gunn DC reboot. A lame duck for a franchise that bothched their world-building process and never met expectations. If they'd released this film 6 years ago maybe we're in different territory now. But people didn't really get an opportunity to meet the Ezra Miller Flash until it was too late.

« Reply #3517 on: July 06, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
guardians of the galaxy 3

i thought it was really good.  probably my second or third favorite MCU movie.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3518 on: July 11, 2023, 11:23:40 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Just saw "Sound of Freedom." What a heartbreaking, frightening depiction of child trafficking. The cinematography was some of the best in recent memory, and it somehow focuses the horror that unfolds onscreen.

This film is highly controversial due to Jim Cavaziel's politics, and it's distribution from a Christian company, but I thought it was very apolitical and focused on the task at hand.

It's a sad commentary on our current partisan discourse that this thing has become so divisive. It's a good film about an important topic.

« Reply #3519 on: July 12, 2023, 01:52:55 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
My son and I went to see Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One in IMAX. We're going again this weekend with the rest of the family. This franchise is on a roll with cranking out great movies. Tom Cruise simply never disappoints, especially in his action roles. I can't recommend this movie enough and I hope the box office exceeds expectations because this movie deserves it.

« Reply #3520 on: July 12, 2023, 02:04:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My son and I went to see Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One in IMAX. We're going again this weekend with the rest of the family. This franchise is on a roll with cranking out great movies. Tom Cruise simply never disappoints, especially in his action roles. I can't recommend this movie enough and I hope the box office exceeds expectations because this movie deserves it.

Do you think it would be worth seeing non-Imax?  Sadly, I don't have one within two hours.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3521 on: July 12, 2023, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

It was good entertainment.

I liked the movie, but my son didn't. James Mangold once again, did a great job of directed yet another movie. However, you can tell Steven Spielberg didn't direct it. Indiana Jones is my favorite movie character, with Raiders of the Lost Ark being my all time favorite movie. Having said that, I wasn't too excited about this new movie for the simple fact that I think the series should have been rebooted with a younger actor playing Indiana Jones. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't know if an 80 or so year old actor should still be playing an action role. Your suspense in disbelief can only go so far, when you know how old the actor is playing the role. And selfishly speaking, I want to see the series rebooted so we can get more Indiana Jones adventures.

« Reply #3522 on: July 12, 2023, 02:12:11 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Do you think it would be worth seeing non-Imax?  Sadly, I don't have one within two hours.

My wife and daughter hate IMAX. Besides IMAX, I don't think there is much of a difference with the new Dolby Atmos enhanced theaters. We have a Showcase Cinema and Apple Cinema near me, and I actually prefer them, as you can't beat the additional space between the rows (knowing that if I have to go to the bathroom, I'm not bothering or disturbing anyone). We'll be going this weekend to one of these Dolby Atmos enhanced showings, where the surroung sound is out of this world. Definitely well worth it.

« Reply #3523 on: July 12, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Watched 65 last night.  Not great but I'm a big sci fi fan and I enjoyed.  Stars Adam Driver as a pilot of a space ship who crash lands on an unknown planet.  Turns out to be earth 65 million years ago.  Different....
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #3524 on: January 29, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Saw Napoleon, not in the cinema but streaming on Amazon. What a letdown  :(

Supposedly there's a 4 hour version coming out (the cinema cut was 2.5 hours) that fleshes out the relationship between Boney and Josephine more. As it is, even with 2.5 hours Boney's life is so vast that it felt like they skimmed over every part of it. Unless you're knowledgeable about the Napoleonic Wars (which I am) you'll probably struggle to figure out what is happening.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D