Author Topic: 2023 Offseason Historical Draft - Rules Thread  (Read 6166 times)

2023 Offseason Historical Draft - Rules Thread
« on: July 17, 2023, 05:32:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
RULES:
- Each player will be assigned one team to run, where GMs will draft one player per pick - they now own all seasons this player has played, that fall within the draft parameters.

- Following the end of all draft rounds, GMs will be required to choose the individual seasons of each player they have selected, which must sit within the draft years.
      - e.g., when listing one's team: SG: Michael Jordan (1987-88), and so on

- The draft will be a snake draft format, as per usual. It will take place from 2 August - 14 August, with breaks over the weekends.

- The first 5 rounds will be done in 15 minute intervals, the final 7 rounds will be done in 8 minute intervals to get through two rounds in a day.

- GMs are on the clock as soon as their allotted time ticks over. If the previous GM has missed their slot, that is on them - they can make their pick whenever they are able.

- If a GM is not available on a draft day for whatever reason, they can PM myself or Donoghus their draft list (you volunteered to help Dons ;) ). Please supply a list long enough to ensure that there is at least one player on your list that will be there - I am not making choices for you.

- Draft rounds will commence at 4PM EST, barring significant pushback.

- We will be assuming that modern rules apply to the teams we are drafting, but they way people weigh different aspects will come down to individual preferences.

- Voting will open a few days after the draft itself has concluded, in order to give GMs maximum time to contribute to the usual discussion threads on their team, and defending their reasoning.

- For voting, it shall be done via PM to me once the ballots have opened. I will give 72 hours to collect the votes from GMs and observers alike, and shall standardise it to give rankings. Please order your voting 1-12, with 1 being the best team.

- You can seek advice on the direction of your team in public threads, but limit discussion of specific players to PMs so as not to influence the draft.

- For the love of all things holy, do not discuss undrafted players in the draft thread!

- Main rule: have fun & be respectful. These games are meant to be a light-hearted distraction from the dull times between Celtic action.

Draft parameters:
- No players in the NBA 75 Anniversary Team
- No players currently on an NBA roster
- Players must have played a season post-merger. They are allowed to have been drafted prior to the merger, but they need to have played after it.
- Players who are no longer in the NBA, but still have not "retired", remain eligible.

Trading:
- All trades must be PM'd to me by both GMs involved, which I will then publicly post, acting as confirmation.
- It is highly unlikely that I will find a trade to be so unbalanced as to require intervention, but in that case I will ask GMs to come back to the trade table to negotiate something fairer. I don't think I have ever done this nor seen it done.
- Trading can be done as soon as the draft order is announced, and will conclude 48 hours after the draft has ended.

If there are any further questions, or any rules you think I've forgotten to touch on, just let me know.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: 2023 Offseason Historical Draft - Rules Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 07:17:52 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
A list of ineligible players might be helpful.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 08:37:15 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
He did link to the top 75 players that aren't ineligible. That + everyone who is still active.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 08:40:03 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
So I have a question about the year picking. Is the rule that if the player has played a season after the merger, you can pick any of their years? Or is it that you can only pick a year from them that is after the merger?

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 09:18:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
It is sort of in flux, with free agency still going. But the 75 link + all current rostered guys is it.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 09:18:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
So I have a question about the year picking. Is the rule that if the player has played a season after the merger, you can pick any of their years? Or is it that you can only pick a year from them that is after the merger?
Only post-merger. So, if Julius Erving weren’t in the 75 team, you could only pick his post-merger years, but he’d still be eligible for selection.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 09:28:29 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
It is sort of in flux, with free agency still going. But the 75 link + all current rostered guys is it.

Roger that! Sorry, I didnt see the link

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 09:29:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Only post-merger. So, if Julius Erving weren’t in the 75 team, you could only pick his post-merger years, but he’d still be eligible for selection.
Right so 1973 MVP winning Dave Cowens, not allowed, but 1980 All Defense 2nd Team Dave Cowens, is allowed.  Again if he wasn't a top 75 team member and thus totally ineligible. 

I'm assuming that by picking years, those voting are going to honor that year.  What I mean (again using a top 75 ineligible player), is if I were to select Magic Johnson in 1990 when he shot 38.4% from 3 on 3.5 attempts, that those voting would actually honor that shooting and not think of Magic as a non-shooter as he was for much of his career.  Because if people aren't going to honor that season and statistically what it was, then it might adjust who I'd select and certainly what seasons I'd use. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 11:08:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Right so 1973 MVP winning Dave Cowens, not allowed, but 1980 All Defense 2nd Team Dave Cowens, is allowed.  Again if he wasn't a top 75 team member and thus totally ineligible. 

I'm assuming that by picking years, those voting are going to honor that year.  What I mean (again using a top 75 ineligible player), is if I were to select Magic Johnson in 1990 when he shot 38.4% from 3 on 3.5 attempts, that those voting would actually honor that shooting and not think of Magic as a non-shooter as he was for much of his career.  Because if people aren't going to honor that season and statistically what it was, then it might adjust who I'd select and certainly what seasons I'd use.
That is an interesting question. I’m not sure if we can instruct people how to vote.

I tend to honour the season, but I think some people will vary depending on the consistency of the trend. I think it also goes to the GM making the case in the threads

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 12:53:56 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
This is gonna be such an interesting draft. I genuinely have no clue who will actually be the top picks. All the obvious top pick in these usual drafts aren't available.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 07:12:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
This is gonna be such an interesting draft. I genuinely have no clue who will actually be the top picks. All the obvious top pick in these usual drafts aren't available.
I agree. I have a spreadsheet, but haven't even tried to order it. Currently in the process of trying to at least get it in tiers, but it is really fun how flat it is. Identity & philosophy will play a big part in this, as will trading I imagine.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 08:30:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I haven't even thought about it. I guess I will start with All NBA Teams and awards and see who is on those, especially multiple times.  That is probably a good starting point for quality players.

I'm also curious about where a couple of high profile guys end up given some of the controversy they had in their careers (both on and off the court).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 08:49:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That is an interesting question. I’m not sure if we can instruct people how to vote.

I tend to honour the season, but I think some people will vary depending on the consistency of the trend. I think it also goes to the GM making the case in the threads

Yep.  Like, if some guy has a weird outlier of a year, I'm not going to just automatically assume he'd replicate those stats in a different role on a different team.  But, if that year was the start of a trend that carried over multiple seasons, then I'd likely buy it.

Similarly, even though we're playing under modern rules, I'm open to arguments about player skill sets expanding.  Using another top-75er:  I 100% think that Karl Malone would have been a successful 3PT shooter in the modern era. 

It's all pretty subjective.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 08:50:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I intend to take only binkies.  We'll see how that works out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I intend to take only binkies.  We'll see how that works out.
I’ve got a feeling I know who you’ll take round 1, if he’s there ;)