Author Topic: If Miami Wins finals...  (Read 5887 times)

If Miami Wins finals...
« on: June 04, 2023, 10:39:22 PM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
If Miami wins the finals, Do people feel better about our season? I mean, I think we ran out of gas, but we took Miami to 7 games! One game from the Finals!
I don't think it is a reach for anyone to see the points I have been making about the Celtics. We had a Great season! We came very close against a Miami team that couldn't miss from 3!!!
Now Miami takes one in as convincing game in Denver.
That is why the blow it up threads drive me Crazy!! This team is so close!!!

Re: If Miami Wins finals...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 10:44:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’ll be super annoyed. Everything that is unlikeable in a team is personified by them. Foul-baiting, cheating, trash talking, all of it. Their dearth of talent also has no right being a championship team. I would feel worse that such a team would be as successful as KG’s Celtics.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 10:53:38 PM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White
I’ll be super annoyed. Everything that is unlikeable in a team is personified by them. Foul-baiting, cheating, trash talking, all of it. Their dearth of talent also has no right being a championship team. I would feel worse that such a team would be as successful as KG’s Celtics.
I agree with almost all of this. But, they have played great this post season. You can't compare the KG team to this team either, just like you can't compare Bird, Parish, McHale to the Heat.
Just a different time.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 10:54:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I agree with almost all of this. But, they have played great this post season. You can't compare the KG team to this team either, just like you can't compare Bird, Parish, McHale to the Heat.
Just a different time.
For sure, I would never compare them. But I know knuckle-draggers out there will, and I can’t stomach that kind of nausea. Losing to Golden State and seeing LeBron win in LA has been enough.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 10:55:08 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
They were one half away from losing in the play-in tournament, and now they're 3 games away from winning an NBA championship.

They remind me of the 2007 New York Giants.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 10:59:11 PM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White
They were one half away from losing in the play-in tournament, and now they're 3 games away from winning an NBA championship.

I think they got hot at the right time. I also love Spoelstra as a head coach.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 11:00:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Yeah I like Spoelstra. I just hate Pat Riley and some of their players. Definitely hate their fanbase.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 11:01:42 PM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White

Yeah I like Spoelstra. I just hate Pat Riley and some of their players. Definitely hate their fanbase.
I couldn't agree more.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 11:09:03 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It doesn't excuse our team for tanking it in the most important game of their season. I can live with losing and being 100% focused defensively and shots just miraculously falling for the Heat. And like someone said, I despise teams that lives on the line with foul baiting. Miami have some worst offenders in Lowry and Butler.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 11:14:02 PM »

Online lbgreen33

• Derrick White
It doesn't excuse our team for tanking it in the most important game of their season. I can live with losing and being 100% focused defensively and shots just miraculously falling for the Heat. And like someone said, I despise teams that lives on the line with foul baiting. Miami have some worst offenders in Lowry and Butler.
I agree with everything except the first sentence. It is Really Hard to beat a team 4 games in a row. You are right, they played their worst game of the post season. I think that has a lot to do with beating them 3 games in a row and Miami making adjustments and the Celtics running out of gas.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 11:15:48 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
If the C’s played like this Miami team does they would be the most loved team in Boston. Too bad the guy that was preaching that is now in Houston. Losing to smarter teams in the playoffs is just frustrating.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Nope.

Being beaten by a mediocre team that goes on to win the NBA Finals is no better than being beaten by a mediocre team that goes on to lose the NBA Finals.

Same same, just different.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 11:17:38 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think the NBA should already be concerned. Miami is showing that a coaching advantage and 3 pt. shooting can make up for deficiencies in not just individual defense but overall athleticism and skill diversity. Now with the new CBA restricting budgets, player development and coaching is going to be critical. This game basically was like a lot of games for the Heat. Keep it close, hit 3s, don't turn it over/make dumb fouls, and give the ball to Jimmy in the 4th quarter the same way you bring in a closer in baseball. It's like the Patriots, basically. They don't make mistakes, make the game slower paced with their physical defense and Brady/run plays controlling the ball, and out-execute down the stretch. Denver's comeback would have worked if they didn't make crucial mental mistakes like fouling 3 pt. shooters, giving up and 1s, and turning it over.

The problem is, basketball is not football and it's always marketed itself as a sport where talent and greatness triumphs. Yes, you need a good coach, but it's much more important to have 1 or 2 of the absolute best players in the league. Also, you have to assume the 3 pointer is part of the reason that home court doesn't seem to mean as much anymore and this is a threat to the legitimacy of the regular season. You've already got too many games and load management making it seem pointless, now you have an 8th seeded team that didn't even win the first play-in game in the Finals.

The rule was always that if you can't play individual defense at a respectable level, you can't survive in a playoff rotation. However, the Heat are proving a good TEAM defense and having shooters is good enough when anchored by two all-defense guys like Butler and Adebayo. The sobering thing is, we thought we were a 3 pt. shooting team!

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 11:20:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Or they're tough, they grind and come play most nights when it counts. Mental toughness is a function of talent and the Celtics were lacking it. The Heat weren't.

The tougher team won the series, though they also had better coaching, which played a role.

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 11:28:14 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Still can't get over that we dumped Strus to keep Javonte Green on the roster. That's an under-the-radar 'Danny blew it' move.