Author Topic: Welcome back Sam Cassell  (Read 9047 times)

Re: Welcome back Sam Casell
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2023, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Sam will be our head coach by the end of next season. Kc Jones 2.0
K.C. basically rolled out the basketballs and let the players figure it out - a la Joe. He didn't do a lot of coaching - though he did call TO's at the right times and was smart enough to realize his role was to not screw things up with all the talent he had.

KC was the anti-Bill Fitch, whom the players got tired of after a while and he took over at the right time. But the current team could use a guy like Fitch. He was a very good coach.

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2023, 12:01:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know what to make of this, how to predict the impact of an assistant coach.  On its face, a past NBA player, 14 years of assistant coaching experience, all sounds good.  A Doc Rivers disciple.  That could go either way.

What I think we need is more ball and player movement on offense.  More action off the ball.  And to achieve that without diminishing the focus on defense.  Maybe Cassell will help with that.  Probably better than the assistants we had last season, who may have been "Ime guys" and/or were miffed that they were passed over.

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2023, 12:01:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He used to single handedly destroy the Celtics during his playing days. He was a great basketball player.

However, I'm not a big fan of this move. From listening to his interviews I get the feeling he talks too much. This probably overwhelms players and coaches. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I'm wondering after all these years as assistant coach of high ranking he didn't get any HC offers; that could be a reason.

Also saw where Silas has signed to be head assistant for Monty at Detroit basketball.  Wonder if he did that because Brad picked Sam over him.

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2023, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
He used to single handedly destroy the Celtics during his playing days. He was a great basketball player.

However, I'm not a big fan of this move. From listening to his interviews I get the feeling he talks too much. This probably overwhelms players and coaches. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I'm wondering after all these years as assistant coach of high ranking he didn't get any HC offers; that could be a reason.

Also saw where Silas has signed to be head assistant for Monty at Detroit basketball.  Wonder if he did that because Brad picked Sam over him.

Probably the case - I'm guessing (no inside info) Cassell is going to be the top assistant and Silas doesn't want to move any lower down.  I do like the idea of Rondo, although someone mentioned off the court issues.

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2023, 01:22:46 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
So was the call to hire Casell Brad's? Or did Mazzulla seek him out?  Casell has been linked to head coaching jobs in the past but has never gotten one. Were I Joe, I'd be pushing more for the Mike Fratello type - older guy who's days leading a team are behind him.

What's the over/under on the first talking head in this town saying Joe out - Sam in?

If I had to guess, Casell was lined up and had agreed to the job before the season ended and Joe was told, you're taking Sam or we're giving your job to Sam.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 01:34:19 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2023, 02:23:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What's the over/under on the first talking head in this town saying Joe out - Sam in?

It's probably already been said, haha. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2023, 02:30:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
So was the call to hire Casell Brad's? Or did Mazzulla seek him out?  Casell has been linked to head coaching jobs in the past but has never gotten one. Were I Joe, I'd be pushing more for the Mike Fratello type - older guy who's days leading a team are behind him.

If I had to guess, Casell was lined up and had agreed to the job before the season ended and Joe was told, you're taking Sam or we're giving your job to Sam.

98.5 morning show already hypothesized this. If things go south for Joe and the team doesn't buy into him, Cassell could be the next HC

Tbh though, I'm fine with that. Hope Mazzulla succeeds, but if not, Cassell would be one of my first choices to replace him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Sam Cassell is a critical hire…if he was the head coach lol. Does Brad & Wyc not understand that the head coach has final say?! They have this situation in reverse.

What is Cassell going to do if he suggests that the Celtics need to make a time-out and…Mazzulla says no.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2023, 02:46:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Speaking of assistants, I was a bit surprised that their salaries are fairly reasonable.  Kevin Young in Phoenix is the highest paid assistant now, making a bit above $2 million annually.

That's less than most end-of-benchers, and you don't pay tax on coaches salaries.  I know this was a big issue between Joe Lacob and Mark Jackson; Jackson was told to go get the best assistants with basically no spending cap, and he didn't.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2023, 02:52:54 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
also Add Silas and Rondo. That is a good start.

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2023, 02:57:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Silas is going to Detroit.

No interest in Rondo. 

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2023, 03:01:11 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC

No interest in Rondo.

May I interest you in one Doc Rivers?

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2023, 03:26:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No interest in Rondo.

I'm good.

I do hope the Celtics throw a big bucket of money toward whoever the best defensive coach is.  No idea who that is these days.  Maybe Joerger?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:31:47 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2023, 03:32:07 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

No interest in Rondo.

I'm good.

I do hope the Celtics throw a big bucket of money toward whoever the best defensive coach is.  No idea who that is these days.

Supposedly Mazzulla designed the Celtics defense under Udoka (per Brogdan), so perhaps what you want is a coach who can design an offense that goes with the rotations in the Udoka defense.

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2023, 03:36:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No interest in Rondo.

I'm good.

I do hope the Celtics throw a big bucket of money toward whoever the best defensive coach is.  No idea who that is these days.

Supposedly Mazzulla designed the Celtics defense under Udoka (per Brogdan), so perhaps what you want is a coach who can design an offense that goes with the rotations in the Udoka defense.

I'm not sure I believe that Joe designed the defense.  Do you have a link to that Brogdon quote?  Since he wasn't on the team, maybe something go lost in translation.

Here's the quote:

A few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals

I assume "in the Finals" isn't meaningless there.  Notably, we lost in the Finals, losing four out of six games.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:41:38 PM by Roy H. »