Author Topic: The Run-It-Back Thread  (Read 5483 times)

The Run-It-Back Thread
« on: June 03, 2023, 08:40:27 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Brad Stevens has spoken. They are running it back with the same core and the same head coach. It seems almost certain that Jaylen Brown will be signed to the super-max. These are the 3 key topics to discuss:

TRADES/TRANSACTIONS:
There may be some fiddling around the fringes (PP, GW, etc.) and that's worth discussing,

COACHING STAFF:
A big curiosity is who Brad adds to the coaching staff. He wants at least one more experienced NBA coach next to Mazulla but many of the top choices are now being picked off. I'd love to add Robert Parish as a big-man coach. Clifford Ray is 74 and hasn't coached since 2013.

HEALTH:
The summer will be a time for players to heal their injuries and be ready for training camp. Healthy Tatum and Brogdon are critical. Can Timelord finally fully heal so he can play 30-35 mpg?

Re: The Run-It-Back Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 09:28:00 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Chief is my all time favourite Celtic so I'd love to see him on the staff, but I'm not sure how much value he actually brings to the table as a coach - unless he can convince Timelord to improve his durability by starting him on a yoga routine or the like. I know he's wanted to be a coach for ages, but teams keep passing on him for whatever reason.

Still think we have Silas lined up as our 'chief assistant', which should be invaluable. He had a great first year in Houston, and he's had successful stints all over the league.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I think you can add STRATEGY to your list. The team needs to revamp their offense and defense. Personally, I would like to see some major sets put in to utilize passing out of the high post from our bigs, who are all above average to excellent passers. Defensively, they need to build a strategy around there best defenders, namely Timelord and Smart.

I'm hoping Timelord can have a good offseason of getting his body ready and develope some consistent offense. At his best, he is easily the teams 3rd best/most important player. Game plans should reflect that.

Just because we have the same head coach, I'm not gonna assume we will be running back the same off/def. I trust Joe and the organization to be smart enough to see the strengths and weaknesses of this team and with a full offseason create better game plans and whole season plans. I'm sure many here think my trust is misplaced.....but I have faith!

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I would like to see a point guard brought in. The combo guard experiment worked but the results are still mediocre. If that means shopping Smart or Brogdon then I am okay with that. Keep White. Maybe one of the recent draft picks can step up and we don’t need to trade those pieces. Pritchard is probably gone. Madar and Davidson should get a shot.

We need a Big Al replacement. One that can support and fill in for Timelord when he’s injured. We need to see if Gallinari has anything left.

We need a wing to backup Tatum and Brown.

We need to stop kicking out for 3s when there’s a straight line to the basket. I know we’re not going to stop shooting open 3s, but we need to stop giving up easy 2 point shots.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 12:17:21 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
I would like to see a point guard brought in. The combo guard experiment worked but the results are still mediocre. If that means shopping Smart or Brogdon then I am okay with that. Keep White. Maybe one of the recent draft picks can step up and we don’t need to trade those pieces. Pritchard is probably gone. Madar and Davidson should get a shot.

We need a Big Al replacement. One that can support and fill in for Timelord when he’s injured. We need to see if Gallinari has anything left.

We need to stop kicking out for 3s when there’s a straight line to the basket. I know we’re not going to stop shooting open 3s, but we need to stop giving up easy 2 point shots.

Same here. But it looks like slim pickings. Some names to consider of guys who MAY be in the Celtics price range…

Monte Morris
Tre Jones
Tyus Jones
Killian Hayes

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 12:35:47 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If you're going to roll with Joe, allow him to pick the staff.  But I'm most curious who the 'veteran assistant' will be. And who makes that call?  Brad or Joe?

There really needs to be an emphasis on player development because if they extend Jaylen, a lot of their roster flexibility goes out the window. So they're going to need to turn some guys with potential, but limited skills into rotation players. Which also means playing these guys, which doesn't jibe with the way Joe coached the team from February on.

Regarding Parish, I'm not a fan of the 'this guy was a great player, he'll make a great coach' thing. Parish had some off court issues with his ex wife where she accused him of abuse. Not sure whether that had anything to do with him never landing an assistant's job, but he's been out of the game for a long time now and has never coached at the NBA level.

Also the game has changed drastically in terms of a 5's role. And he's nearly 70 so I'm not sure how folks would expect him to relate to players who probably have no idea who he is and a coach literally half his age.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 12:41:11 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 12:47:25 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
If you're going to roll with Joe, allow him to pick the staff.  But I'm most curious who the 'veteran assistant' will be. And who makes that call?  Brad or Joe?

There really needs to be an emphasis on player development because if they extend Jaylen, a lot of their roster flexibility goes out the window. So they're going to need to turn some guys with potential, but limited skills into rotation players. Which also means playing these guys, which doesn't jibe with the way Joe coached the team from February on.

Regarding Parish, I'm not a fan of the 'this guy was a great player, he'll make a great coach' thing. Parish had some off court issues with his ex wife where she accused him of abuse. Not sure whether that had anything to do with him never landing an assistant's job, but he's been out of the game for a long time now and has never coached at the NBA level.

Also the game has changed drastically in terms of a 5's role. And he's nearly 70 so I'm not sure how folks would expect him to relate to players who probably have no idea who he is and a coach literally half his age.

Regarding the veteran assistant, that is Brad’s call, because he has the better network to find the assistant than Joe does.  I’m sure Joe will get a say to a point, because an assistant isn’t going to be hired without meeting Mazzulla, but barring Joe saying “there’s no way I can work with this guy” after said meeting, it’s Brad who will have made that particular hire.

Also, when there’s talk of a veteran assistant, I actually think there will be two.  One assistant, like a Silas, who’s been a coach for a long time, and another who had a many year career as an NBA player.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 12:59:34 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Regarding the veteran assistant, that is Brad’s call, because he has the better network to find the assistant than Joe does.  I’m sure Joe will get a say to a point, because an assistant isn’t going to be hired without meeting Mazzulla, but barring Joe saying “there’s no way I can work with this guy” after said meeting, it’s Brad who will have made that particular hire.

Also, when there’s talk of a veteran assistant, I actually think there will be two.  One assistant, like a Silas, who’s been a coach for a long time, and another who had a many year career as an NBA player.
Silas would be an intriguing choice - but I'm not sure Joe would want a recently out of work head coach with a good reputation around the league waiting in the wings. One losing streak and the speculation begins.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 01:23:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

What in Silas' resume makes him a good assistant coach, other than he is a former head coach who failed badly?

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 01:34:03 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

Silas would be an intriguing choice - but I'm not sure Joe would want a recently out of work head coach with a good reputation around the league waiting in the wings. One losing streak and the speculation begins.

Hmmm, looking around the room, I don’t think it will take a losing streak? Speculation will start as soon as the announcement hits the internet.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 01:45:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

What in Silas' resume makes him a good assistant coach, other than he is a former head coach who failed badly?

He was a well-regarded assistant coach for 20 years prior to getting a head coaching gig (on a team that intentionally tanking).

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 01:57:06 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
KG and Paul discuss what to do next:
https://youtu.be/yRcikX-xS6k

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 01:59:11 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Running it back sounds like a second round exit next year. C's won't be as lucky with an easier playoff path like the one they were handed this postseason.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 02:45:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Same here. But it looks like slim pickings. Some names to consider of guys who MAY be in the Celtics price range…

Monte Morris
Tre Jones
Tyus Jones
Killian Hayes

As an Iowa State grad, I have always loved Monte Morris as a player.  When he was at Iowa State he had three of the top seven single-season assist-to-turnover ratios that have been recorded by the NCAA and four of the top 12.  I never saw him as a legit option for the C's after he got traded from the Nuggets.  But a pass first, super efficient with the ball point guard might just be the thing that helps the C's.  I dunno if you give up Smart or Brogdon to get Morris, but if you are going to trade Smart to get better big man depth, bringing in Morris to be White's backup would be great.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 02:54:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Trades/Transactions: I think that the most Brad will do is play around the edges, and I don't think any of that will move the needle significantly.

Coaching Staff: I'm not convinced that Joe will be swayed by anyone else's opinion, even an assistant coach's, so I'm not convinced it matters who the new assistants are.

Health: I'm sure that Rob will once again have injuries, that Al will continue to decline (and play fewer minutes) due to the ultimate injury (age), and that when it really matters, the Celtics will once again have a significant injury to deal with, because that's just the way it is with this team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis